The MT-07 Forum

Stock exhaust decat

orangecrush

Kind of just thinking out loud here and wondering if it's already been done.
Has anyone gutted the cat from the stock silencer box?

I'm not offended by the stock exhausts appearance and, although I like the sound of an aftermarket system, I'm actually enjoying stealth mode. I fitted a decat pipe to my old KTM 690 Duke, it made a hell of a difference. Without the restrictive honeycomb the motor span up much quicker, ran smoother and a little cooler. Obviously it will need some extra fuel too.

I might see if I can get a used one from ebay and have a look inside.

I reckon the cat will be just inside the main box, aft of the headers and collector. Slice in two around the green dashed line area.

Untitled-1.jpg

Have a look at this 
dead link
Thanks @ralph . He's made a horrible mess of that! But the silencer box picture tells me all I need to know. 
The big yellow arrow is where the cat sits. I can get to that where I indicated in my earlier picture.

B191F94F-E7F0-4E05-B641-5B9EB8A24A9C.jpg

• Premium Member

IMO keep it stock and get a after market. Keep the old one in the corner you will thank me later ;)

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I've never had one in bit's so don't know but it looks a good bet,
you can often pick up a org one cheat on Evil bay maybe chop that
about so you have the org one to go back to if things go wrong.

• Premium Member

For all that work and buying a auto tuner to correct the exhaust mod might as well get the ECU reflashed by 2wdw for the stock exhaust for a much much simpler option to make the engine run better

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

That's the idea @ralph . One on ebay at the moment for £60. I'll try my dealer too. See if he has one kicking around the workshop, as last year they were throwing an Akrapovic into the deal on new bikes.
I intend to reflash @norcal616 . Hopefully removing the restrictive Catalytic converter will net some gains too. It's worked for me in the past and I'm sure the 07 will benefit too.

The first job, when I get the time, will be a dyno run to get a stock baseline reading.

I've seen them asking £35 like new at that price you can afford to hack it
about and experiment, I thought of buying one as a spare but they seem to
be well over built. The wife on seeing the bike for the first time asked
if the dealer had made the exhaust his self and not made a good job of it
though after owning a Kwaker Versys I can put up with anything

The only issue I see is the weight. Going from my stock exhaust to the Akra Carbon I lost alot of weight. Even if you cut out the insides of the stock exhaust you still have the big housing left over that is not needed.

I opened mine up last summer and cut the "s" shaped pipe out in the last chamber, then welded it up. A little bit more tone. Kind of wish I would have ran a small hole saw through the last chamber. Got the idea off one of the fz09 forums as some people over there did a lot of modding on the stock muffler.

Archived