Sign in to follow this  
scottygat

Plasti-Dip My FZ-07?

scottygat
I've seen some of the guys on the Facebook page post pictures of their success with plasti-dip, and I'm really considering using it on my tank fairing and front wheel cover. I've got the 2015 white FZ-07 and I'd like to switch over to a blacked out version.

Has anyone tried this?

For those of you who may not know, Plasti-dip is a semi-permanent paint that you can wash off with a pressure washer. I figure this is the best option, because if it comes out looking terrible I can blast it off and keep the white.

Eastern Kayaker
You could just use photoshop to change a picture of your bike's white color panels and fender to black. I wanted a white bike with a black frame, so I purchased a red bike and purchased the white panels for $150. I replaced the red panels for white and now I have the bike I wanted. These parts are not expensive, so this could be an option for you.

Here are some places that people have ordered parts from online, just compare prices with shipping to find the best price:
www.yamahapartshouse.com
www.partsfish.com
www.partspak.com

Have fun!

before and after pics
[attachment id=1410" thumbnail="1][attachment id=1411" thumbnail="1]

• Like 2

ryan4130
I think its a good idea but consider how plastidip would wear on the tank sides where your legs contact. You would need a good amount of coats to ensure it wouldnt rub off. Also, why black and not some non-oem color? Like, bronze or something?

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

aaron
Plastidip doesn't hold up well over time. I have done it on car wheels and you end up doing touch ups sometimes. I would suggest maybe doing a vinyl wrap instead. Ryan is right. It will end up wearing on the places your legs hit the tank panels.

Mr.Puss
+1 for what these guys said.

For the hassle and expense in buying paint and having to do contant touchups why not just buy new factory painted panels? Supposedly they arent that much.??

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

churchxd
+1 for what these guys said.  
For the hassle and expense in buying paint and having to do contant touchups why not just buy new factory painted panels? Supposedly they arent that much.??
Plasti dip is actually quite tough. But can't be installed like spray paint. 7 coats min. I plasti dip cars for fun. Sharp objects will rip it. But rubbing is fine as long as your not rubbing an edge.
  • Like 1

cfzd
I dipped my tank. Half a dozen coats black and then a few clear and I still rubbed spots into it after the first ride.

I suggest a different route for the tank

scottygat
Awesome advice all around. Thanks for the info guys. In retrospect I should have done what you did, buy the red FZ and swap panels. Now I've got considerably more hours to put in to get the bike where I want it. which is blacked out. Now that the 2016 models come in all black maybe it will be easier to get ahold of some blacked out panels.

Beemer
I see your dilemma because I have a white 07 and have thought about switching to black panels myself and have given it a lot of thought. Even though a black frame definitely blends in better with black panels, having a silver frame with black panels wouldn't be so bad, I don't think. You often see vehicles with two or more colors on them and the one thing that's always kept in mind when doing that is using colors that compliment each other. There's one thing a person could do to help is to use some silver on top of the black to tie them together instead of them just contrasting with each other. Some silver pin-stripe, a silver sticker, etc, on a black panel would help. There's nothing wrong with the frame and the paint contrasting. It's one of the reasons I bought my white FZ, that black & white contrast just popped! Black & silver won't contrast as much but the colors do compliment each other. I would give the black panels a try first and ask some friends (friends that don't know the frame is an issue with you) if there's anything about your bike that jumps out at them right off the bat and see how they respond. I could be wrong but I bet the frame won't be that noticeable. If it still bothers you then what a bummer to have to change the frame's color. Good luck!

Beemer

scottygat
Yeah, I've been thinking about it today, and it might actually look better with the silver frame. with the other silver accents it might tie it all together nicely.

I'll have to put a photo in paint and mess around a bit.

scottygat
Eastern Kayaker - AWESOME suggestion, thanks for the yamahapartshouse recommendation!

Now does anyone know if the 2016 tank covers are compatible with a 2015 model? When i viewed it online, it says the 2016 panels are only compatible with the 2016 models, but the customer service guy said he thought that might only be because of something to do with the color scheme.

Any advice is much appreciated. I would be lost without the FZ07.org community! Thanks again guys.

Scott

Eastern Kayaker
I can't take credit for the tank panel swap, I got the idea from another member on this forum.

I would think the panels fit the same, but I am not sure. I know there were members on this forum thinking of replacing their 2015 tank panels with one of the 2016 colors by ordering the 2016 panels. You may want to create another thread asking for members that did the 2015-to-2016 tank panel swap to confirm if the panels fit ok.  If they don't fit ok, you can always have your panels painted or DIY. If no one responds to your panel swap thread, you can always gamble and order the 2016 tank panels. Let us know how it goes.

rmdet
Check out 3m 1080 vinyl wraps (or other brands) as another possible option... I dipped mine first to try a color, liked it, then wrapped it for a longer term solution. Many more choices if you are looking for some different shades or finishes.