The MT-07 Forum

Question about selling; be honest

yamahappy74

• Premium Member

You won't hurt my feelings. I just need to get a serious feel for what I should be asking.
I put mine up on craigslist for $5950. Within 90 minutes I had someone calling to see if I would trade for an R3 because they sold their FZ and miss it. I declined, but it had me thinking that maybe I'm asking too little for it.
So what do you think a '15 bone stock FZ07 (blurple) with 2,300 miles is worth? I'm sure region plays into it (Minneapolis). Looking at craigslist, mine is the only one for sale anywhere near locally, with the exception of another blurple at a dealer for $5999, but then you have to pay their fees and tax up front and whatnot.
Do you think I should raise the price to something like $6100 or $6200? That seems steep to me for a used bike, even if it is $6995 new, especially given the rate of devaluation off the lot. Am I jumping the shark here?

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Maybe list it at 6k obo being that it is bone stock. Motorcycle values Tank for the first 5 to 10 thousand miles.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

pineappleunderthesea

Although it seems to be a going asking price, if it was me buying I'm not sure I would pay that. There are dealers near me selling new 2016 bikes for $6200 ($6179 to be exact), and for that price differential over what you're asking I'd rather get a new bike and pay dealer fees. But to your point, if you live in an area where there is little choice, I'm still not sure I'd pay $6200 used vs. talking down a dealer to $6500 or so.

My gut feeling says $5500 is what I would offer. But hey, maybe I'm a cheap bastard and you'll have no problem selling the bike! All I know is that when I tried to sell my Honda Shadow and asking for what was on the high end of the price range, the only calls I got initially were from people wanting to trade, then scammers, then third party vendors who wanted a fee to sell the bike. Once I dropped by several hundred dollars, the real calls came in.

What are you replacing it with? How much would you pay for that bike with the same age & miles as yours? The answer to that question will answer yours.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

There's something special about being the first one to ride a bike so I'd rather not buy used unless I got a really good deal. I wouldn't pay over 6000 unless blurple was the color I had to have. I did have to have blurple and I was lucky that it was upstairs in a crate at the dealership and assembled just for me. My bike was a virgin. ;)

I would post it at $5900 expecting people to haggle and wouldn't sell it for lower than $5500. I wouldn't trade for an R3 either.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Global Moderator

I was thinking I would not pay more than $5500 for a used FZ-07. Of course you could find someone who will.

• Premium Member

Well, I just sold it. A serviceman in the Army is buying it for his son as a birthday present. He even agreed to pick up the PayPal fee. Seems like a really cool guy. I wish I had gotten something like that for my birthday just once in my life, lol.

So once this is done, it'll be on to Gixxer shopping. Always wanted one. I've found a couple of screaming deals, even one that's out of my price range but tempting (2012 GSXR600 black/red with 3,400 miles mint condition for $6500). I really think I'm just happier on a supersport, even if my wrists aren't, lol.

• Premium Member
Well, I just sold it. A serviceman in the Army is buying it for his son as a birthday present. He even agreed to pick up the PayPal fee. Seems like a really cool guy. I wish I had gotten something like that for my birthday just once in my life, lol.  
So once this is done, it'll be on to Gixxer shopping. Always wanted one. I've found a couple of screaming deals, even one that's out of my price range but tempting (2012 GSXR600 black/red with 3,400 miles mint condition for $6500). I really think I'm just happier on a supersport, even if my wrists aren't, lol.

Dude no! This is a scam. Never ever paypal. Don't do anything yet.

"A serviceman in the Army is buying it for his son as a birthday present. He even agreed to pick up the PayPal fee. Seems like a really cool guy." - This is the general setup that these assholes all use, and then they ask to pay with paypal (and then they'll eventually link to a fake paypal site for autos). Never do a big cash transfer with anything but straight cash or a cashier's check where you're at the bank and see the bank sign the check.

• Premium Member

He's putting the money directly in my PayPal account. I appreciate the concern, and I have no plans to do anything until the money is in my bank account and my loan is paid off. No worries. If it turns out to be a scam, then so be it, but he isn't getting anything from me until my loan is paid in full. I'll be able to sell this bike regardless, so either way, I'm getting a Gixxer, lol.

Here's the bike I just got approved for: http://www.motorsportsofwillmar.com/2012SuzukiGSX-R600-inventory.htm?id=943927&used=1&vin=JS1GN7FA1C2101236

It's a doozy of a deal.

• Premium Member
He's putting the money directly in my PayPal account. I appreciate the concern, and I have no plans to do anything until the money is in my bank account and my loan is paid off. No worries. If it turns out to be a scam, then so be it, but he isn't getting anything from me until my loan is paid in full. I'll be able to sell this bike regardless, so either way, I'm getting a Gixxer, lol. 
Here's the bike I just got approved for: http://www.motorsportsofwillmar.com/2012SuzukiGSX-R600-inventory.htm?id=943927&used=1&vin=JS1GN7FA1C2101236

It's a doozy of a deal.

That's what he says he's doing, but I seriously doubt that is how it's going to go down. If, I'm wrong awesome, but be careful. Read this as a good general guide for dealing with craigslist - http://www.bbb.org/council/news-events/bbb-scam-alerts/2016/01/scammers-fool-craigslist-sellers-with-paypal-con/

This is also solid - http://myria.com/how-to-avoid-some-common-craigslist-paypal-scams#

• Premium Member

No sooner had I ready what you posted than he tried to do exactly what was outlined. It's a scam.

Thanks for the info. Glad I got approved for the bike regardless. Now I just need to sell this one to an actual person.

**heads to Bikes For Sale forum**

• Premium Member
No sooner had I ready what you posted than he tried to do exactly what was outlined. It's a scam.  
Thanks for the info. Glad I got approved for the bike regardless. Now I just need to sell this one to an actual person.

Glad you dodged it man. Effing scammers. I very nearly got scammed on my first scooter sale on craigslist. Classic overpay to ship it out of state via western union. Only dodged that one via dumb luck. Decided to google western union + google and *blam*, first 20 pages were all about scams.

Just give the sale time. I absolutely get wanting to sell immediately, but these big sales usually take weeks (or even months) to develop if you aren't offering an incredible deal.

• Premium Member

Here's the email I got from him:

"My apologies: I had this problem with the shipping agent, the shipping agent says that I will need to pay an upfront payment for the picking up before they can arrange a pick up time and register the bike for picking, they charged me $980.00 for picking up and home delivery.! I wish to inform you that i would be adding an extra $1,000.00 to the money am transferring into your PayPal account, which is for the charged pick up fee for the pick up company to register the bike for pick up...Payment made to shipping HQ can only be sent through money gram money transfer only and there is no via money gram here at my present location to send the money to them over here. So now i will be sending the total amount of $7,150.00 into your account now and you will help me send the $980.00 to the agent via money gram and the remaining $20.00 is to cover MG transfer charges.

PayPal insurance policy will be informed about the process as well. Sorry to put this on you, cos without the pick up, the purchase can't hold so that's the reason why your help is needed. So kindly get back to me as soon as possible if you can help me sort this out so i can send the payment ?

Hope to read back from you "

• Premium Member
Here's the email I got from him: 
"My apologies: I had this problem with the shipping agent, the shipping agent says that I will need to pay an upfront payment for the picking up before they can arrange a pick up time and register the bike for picking, they charged me $980.00 for picking up and home delivery.! I wish to inform you that i would be adding an extra $1,000.00 to the money am transferring into your PayPal account, which is for the charged pick up fee for the pick up company to register the bike for pick up...Payment made to shipping HQ can only be sent through money gram money transfer only and there is no via money gram here at my present location to send the money to them over here. So now i will be sending the total amount of $7,150.00 into your account now and you will help me send the $980.00 to the agent via money gram and the remaining $20.00 is to cover MG transfer charges.

PayPal insurance policy will be informed about the process as well. Sorry to put this on you, cos without the pick up, the purchase can't hold so that's the reason why your help is needed. So kindly get back to me as soon as possible if you can help me sort this out so i can send the payment ?

Hope to read back from you "

Send him back a pic of a pile of dog sh*t.

• Premium Member

I would but I'm sure he sees that every time he looks in a mirror. Probably wouldn't shock him much.

Whenever I sell a bike or car I do it in person and take pictures of their drivers license and all sale documents. I accept cash only. It is also a good idea to finalize the sale in front of your bank. They bring the cash and you deposit it immediately before finalizing the sale. Some people try to pass fake $100 bills which screws you when you go to deposit it.  An honest buyer with nothing to hide will have no problem with this. Lastly, patience! 

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Premium Member

I also tossed it up on cycletrader. It's free for two weeks. Motoprimo here in Minneapolis also has 0 cost consignment, which means I tell them what I need from the bike, and they mark it up over that to turn a profit and keep the difference. Good to have options.

In any case, I'll be going to check out the Gixxer this weekend. I can't believe the deal I'm getting. $1900 less than book. OTD will be $7046 for a bike worth $8910 on NADA. The bike is as close to new as I could ask and it has an M4 slip on installed.

pineappleunderthesea

That's the exact scam I had when selling my Shadow--the serviceman scam. Next you'll get the 3rd party vendors asking for a fee to sell the bike.  The whole process sucks and takes time, especially if your asking price is on the high side. I had to shave off hundreds off my price before getting serious inquiries, it sucks. I wonder if FZs are "cheap" enough new that used prices need to be considerably lower. Depends where you live I guess.  

Archived