The MT-07 Forum

Handle Bar Switch and Wiring

rockfanlee

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Yamaha parts house has it listed as:

Switch, Handle 4
1WS-83972-00-00 1WS-83972-01-00

You might want to check other models to see if they have a version of the part with a switch installed. I tired to look to see if the part was listed as working for any other models but couldn't find any. You may just need to search "2015 Yamaha [MODEL NAME HERE]" and see if you can find any pictures of the handlebar. Taking a look at the new 2016 XSR900 appears to have a similar assembly with an additional switch in that location but I bet you would need to do some soldering to get it to work with the FZ-07:

img.jpg?id=30742&w=840

There is no Manual or parts list up yet so I couldn't cross reference it to see if it is on any other models or what it costs. The FZ-09 has the same style switch group as the FZ-07 so I bet the switch is used to change the ABS and/or TCS settings on the new XSR900.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Would you have any information on how I can wire my LEDs to my ignition, I.E when I turn the bike on the lights automatically turn on. Right now I have a switch hidden under my passenger seat.

Would you have any information on how I can wire my LEDs to my ignition, I.E when I turn the bike on the lights automatically turn on. Right now I have a switch hidden under my passenger seat.
I put the switch over turn signal led strip in the vents.  Wire the "white" to the DRL signal and the "amber" to the turn signal.  Where are your  LEDs located?

They are here.
TV1phu0.jpg?2
I don't understand what you mean when you say "I put the switch over turn signal led strip in the vents. Wire the "white" to the DRL signal and the "amber" to the turn signal."

@rockfanlee ok so you only want these to turn on when the bike is turned on right?

I have these in the vents.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-85cm-Switchback-Headlight-LED-Strip-DRL-Daytime-Light-Tube-White-Amber-NEW-/361066699180?hash=item54114099ac:g:KRYAAOSwRLZUKW9j&vxp=mtr

In normal operation they are white.  But when I turn on the turn signals they change to amber depending on which direction I'm going.

Yeah, I figured out I can wire it up to the Aux power near the front of the bike. Those are awesome, do you have a picture of them on your bike?

@rockfanlee No pics yet since I do not have a permanent solution yet. I have the lights installed where I want them but not permanently solder. Its been too cold to do any work. Hopefully this weekend I can take the front turn signals apart and give it a go. Will update you with pics.

• Global Moderator

What would be a solution to have the drl 'cancel' as the turn signal is operating?
Im looking wire up a set of white leds in the scoops and to have the radiator guards wired up with my amber signals

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
What would be a solution to have the drl 'cancel' as the turn signal is operating? Im looking wire up a set of white leds in the scoops and to have the radiator guards wired up with my amber signals
I'll email you a wiring diagram tomorrow. I've been in too many meetings today for my brain to work properly at this point.

What would be a solution to have the drl 'cancel' as the turn signal is operating? Im looking wire up a set of white leds in the scoops and to have the radiator guards wired up with my amber signals
I'll email you a wiring diagram tomorrow. I've been in too many meetings today for my brain to work properly at this point.
Would you mind posting a link here? I would love to take a look at the wiring. 

UPDATE: I ended up splicing into the Aux plug above the engine block, works perfectly!

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Ok if you want to create a circuit that shuts off your running lights when the turn signals are on there are a couple ways to do it, but ill just post what i used to do in my turn signals.   You will need one per side.

I used a Normally Closed relay to interrupt the power signal to the running light. In order to do this you will also need a Capacitor and a resistor to "hold" the coil in the relay open.  These will need to be wired into the Coil side for it to work. 

The specific capacitor and resistor values you will need depend on the voltage of the relays coil, the blink rate of the turn signal, and how long it stays on (Below is what works on my bike). Think of it as the blinkers are charging up a battery that holds the coil open until the turn signals are turned off.

Resistor 47 Ohm 2W 5%

Capacitor 10000UF 20% 16V

Relay SPDT 20A 12V

Archived