The MT-07 Forum

Ceramic Coating Headers

pilotingpete

I have the Akropovic Carbon fibre exhaust. Before installing it, I am tempted to have the piped ceramic coated "satin black".

This will cost ~$200 - $250 and my main reason to do it is aesthetics.

Have any of you done the ceramic coating on headers? What has your experience been? How is the durability?

I am a bit on the fence about doing this. I think it would look good, but not if the coating gets rock chips etc.

I haven't done it but I'm guessing that since it would dissipate heat well it would retain it's looks better but (possibly, maybe not) being brittle it might (might not) meet it's match with a bouncing rock/other. I can't help but wonder just how thick the coating would be and that might make some difference to whether it's brittle or not. A belly pan would provide 'some' protection. Would look good in satin black or even a flat black. 

A coworker claimed that his father threw a set of ceramic coated automotive headers on the grass. They clanged together and no chips were seen. The word ceramic does sound brittle, but it must not be like a ceramic pot?

http://www.performancecoatings.com/headercoatings.html

http://www.jet-hot.com/

I haven't had it done but I think it's a good idea if you want the pipe to look good for a lot longer. After reading a little about this process I think you'll be getting a quality product that won't chip very easily, if at all. It's either chips or dents, pick your poison. A belly pan would help to protect some of the pipe. If it were me I would go for it.

Beemer

I haven't done it but I'm guessing that since it would dissipate heat well it would retain it's looks better but (possibly, maybe not) being brittle it might (might not) meet it's match with a bouncing rock/other. I can't help but wonder just how thick the coating would be and that might make some difference to whether it's brittle or not. A belly pan would provide 'some' protection. Would look good in satin black or even a flat black. 
A coworker claimed that his father threw a set of ceramic coated automotive headers on the grass. They clanged together and no chips were seen. The word ceramic does sound brittle, but it must not be like a ceramic pot?
Right! I didn't know anything about the process when I said that. All I could think of was ceramic pots and ceramic brakes. Reading does wonders, lol! You have to think about the chemical process, which I didn't know, to understand it. 

Beemer

• Global Moderator

Depends on the material of the exhaust
cerakote doeant stick to certain stainless grades

I was just doing some research on this for myself and @so1102

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Ceramic coating functions the same way as exhaust wrap, it retains heat in the exhaust gas causing better exhaust flow. The coatings are harder than than ceramics you generally interact with like dinner plates or toilets. It can also prevent discoloration on the exhaust. You can either spend $200 on the coating or $20 on exhaust wrap and clamps. Do you want the clean look of a ceramic coating or to save the money and get the same function out of retro looking wraps? It's up to you.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Jethot coatings do great coatings on exhaust parts. They have a good warranty tons of colors and designs. but you should always run them prior to coating. Most of the time they have issues is from the headers overheating while tuning.

Archived