The MT-07 Forum

2015 Bell Star Carbon RSD Technique Helmet Review

jeffkisthename

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

This review is of my initial impression upon opening the box.  I will update later after some miles have been put on the helmet.
I purchased this helmet on sportbiketrackgear.com as they had the helmet on closeout for $363. I chose this helmet over the likes of the Arai Pro-Cruise Defiant and the Shoei RF-1200. The Arai felt perfect on my head, included a pin-lock visor, Arai's first speaker accepting cheek pads, pull down shade visor system and is still in my sights, but $600 is a lot of loot for a helmet right now. The Shoei RF-1200 I wanted to fit so bad, but was just not as comfortable as the Arai and didn't come with the pin-lock visor. I took a shot in the dark as for fitment with the Bell, but my little brother loves his RS-1 so much, so I gave Bell a shot.

First, the description and list of features via sportbiketrackgear.com

(http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/bell-star-carbon-rsd-technique-helmet/)

Description:

The Bell Star Carbon RSD Technique Helmet uses a matte carbon shell with a gloss graphic overlay and looks amazing (the pics do it very little justice). The Bell Star Helmet is our top selling premium helmet as it offers a strong blend of safety, performance and comfort at a price better than all others in class with class leading airflow. The Bell Star has an intermediate oval internal shape and fit's most riders true to size using the Bell Size Chart for reference. The images shown show a dark smoke shield which is sold separately as the helmet ships with a clear shield.

Features:

[ul type=disc][*]Lightweight Carbon Composite shell
[*]Velocity Flow Ventilation system with FlowAdjust
[*]Aerodynamic profile resists buffeting and lift
[*]Removable/washable X-Static XT2 silver-lined anti-microbial liner
[*]Contoured Cheek pads
[*]3Mode Shield for instant on-bike shield adjustments, and ClickRelease for the fastest, easiest, tool-free shield swaps ever.
[*]NutraFog II superior anti-fog, anti-scratch and UV protected shield
[*]New and improved Magnefusion magnetic strap keeper
[*]Padded chin strap with D-ring closure
[*]Integrated speaker pockets
[*]Industry-leading Five-year warranty
[/ul]

The Bell Star Carbon RSD Technique Helmet:

The helmet is packaged in a nice Helmet Bag which is included. This model comes with RSD stitched into the side. I ordered an extra Bell Deluxe Helmet bag too, but that'll be here later.

DSC_1129.jpg

The bag has a nice soft lining that makes you wish your bed sheets were made of it.

DSC_1130.jpg

An owner's manual, lube for the shield mechanism, and a Track Strip (Additional Spoiler, yup, I put it on)

DSC_1131.jpg

I imagine this helmet has tons of air flow.

DSC_1133.jpg

The carbon is displayed in both a matte finish and gloss between the silver and the RSD logo.

DSC_1132.jpg

The built-in spoiler and exhaust vent scheme is really aggressive.

DSC_1136.jpg

DSC_1137.jpg

DSC_1138.jpg

DSC_1165.jpg

Below are photos with the optional Breath Box and Sena Bluetooth installed: 

Visor Down (Yup, this model comes with the race visor that includes tear off posts)

DSC_1184.jpg

Visor Up

DSC_1183.jpg

Visor Off

DSC_1181.jpg

The lining is super comfy, and there's some bad ass speaker cut outs.

DSC_1172.jpg

DSC_1173.jpg

DSC_1174.jpg

DSC_1177.jpg

DSC_1178.jpg

DSC_1199.jpg

I put the velcro strip for the microphone on both the helmet and the breath box.

DSC_1198.jpg

Sena 20S

DSC_1188.jpg

Magnetic Chin Strap

DSC_1191.jpg

Oh, and one more photo of the Track Strip Spoiler installed

DSC_1186.jpg

I will provide a follow-up review after riding with it both initial response, and after a couple of hundreds or thousands of miles.

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I've only ridden with it three times so far (waiting on new tires).

-First ride, all street with no ear plugs, I thought to myself, man this helmet is loud and boy does it move air. Stopped at a friend's house, picked something up, put in ear plugs and rode home. Thought to myself, ear plugs are a must.

-Second ride, rode to work with ear plugs on and Sena Bluetooth playing. Helmet felt great except I had an air leak on the left of the visor, so I had issue with my left eye tearing up from the cold air coming in during my 50 mile ride. Sound wise, ear plugs quiet this thing down a lot.

-Third ride, I adjusted my visor plates for the visor and the air leak was gone. Was talking on my Sena Bluetooth the whole ride home with my brother and the helmet felt great, and sounded better than before. I think all of the issues have been fixed, and now I just have to break it in. Fit so far, there's no pinches or pressure points. Loving it so far.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

Not a fan of the B&W graphic, pickiness aside, a real nice lid! Looks tight! Hows the FOV? I'll have to try a few of the 2016's on.

Forgive my 'mothering' but still riding on those things? Get on those new tires man! ;)

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Not a fan of the B&W graphic, pickiness aside, a real nice lid! Looks tight! Hows the FOV? I'll have to try a few of the 2016's on. 
Forgive my 'mothering' but still riding on those things? Get on those new tires man! ;)
No, I haven't been riding since I posted that photo. I've taken everyone's advice and she's been sitting in the garage as I mope while driving as a cager.

The new 2016 lid is nice, I think this one's look has more badassery. I went with this subtle graphic, because my gear is all black and subtle looking. Maybe when I get summer leathers will I look into a more "look at me" type of lid.

SigSide.jpg

twowheeladdict

I have a Bell Star, Star Carbon Fiber, RS-1, and Vortex. The carbon Fiber is like not wearing a helmet compared to the cheap plastic one's I have worn in the past.

Did you get the transition shield? I love mine.

Yes, I wear ear plugs.

2015 FZ-07

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I have a Bell Star, Star Carbon Fiber, RS-1, and Vortex. The carbon Fiber is like not wearing a helmet compared to the cheap plastic one's I have worn in the past. 
Did you get the transition shield? I love mine.

Yes, I wear ear plugs.
No. No transition shield yet. I will in the future though.

SigSide.jpg

Had the rs-1 it was nice but load. Now I have an rf1200. It definitely is a little nicer and quieter but the transitions lens on the bell is better then shoei's.
Sadly I now want to check out the new bell star line that comes out in April.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

So, I thought I had fixed the air leaks, but nope. Contacted Bell, and they said send the helmet in so they could take a look.

Notice on the gasket seal, there's an uneven surface and both sides don't fully seal in these areas.

346d1c1b5add7aa65f95abed0dc52948.jpg

f7564ac1ad334b7259b47faa9dfaf5b0.jpg

Anyone ever have this issue with Bell Helmets? My Scorpion doesn't do this at all... Not what I was expecting for a helmet that normally sells for $649. I really hope Bell fixes it through their warranty. I really love the fit and we'll everything about this helmet except for this one defect. Sucks riding in the cold morning and having my left eye tear up from the incoming air from the leaks.

Blah.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

Well dang it, I was just checking in to see what your thoughts were on the new lid and there it is....man, that's too bad, what a PIA. I hope Bell somehow makes this hassle worth your while.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Well dang it, I was just checking in to see what your thoughts were on the new lid and there it is....man, that's too bad, what a PIA. I hope Bell somehow makes this hassle worth your while.
Yeah, me too. Even my brother was bummed about it, because he kind of sealed the deal on going with a Bell, because of how much he loves the RS-1. I'd hope that they can fix it, but I'm not gonna be angry if they just give me one of the newer Bell Stars :P

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

@twowheeladdict opinions?

SigSide.jpg

twowheeladdict
So, I thought I had fixed the air leaks, but nope. Contacted Bell, and they said send the helmet in so they could take a look. 
Notice on the gasket seal, there's an uneven surface and both sides don't fully seal in these areas.

Anyone ever have this issue with Bell Helmets? My Scorpion doesn't do this at all... Not what I was expecting for a helmet that normally sells for $649. I really hope Bell fixes it through their warranty. I really love the fit and we'll everything about this helmet except for this one defect. Sucks riding in the cold morning and having my left eye tear up from the incoming air from the leaks.

Blah.

Looks like you have the lever in the down position which cracks the shield open a little.

2015 FZ-07

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Blah.
Looks like you have the lever in the down position which cracks the shield open a little.
It happens even in the locked position.

SigSide.jpg

Archived