The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07SS - Racebike Build

gogokawi

It's been quite a while since I've been on the forums. Had a crash that knocked me out for most of the season, broken collarbone and messed up shoulder. Once I get some time, I'll write something up about what and how it happened. The bike is fine, just not as pretty as it was. More to come.
Wow sounds like a nasty crash. Will you be coaching with Evolve next year? Looking forward to your updates.  
I have all the pieces I need for my semi naked fz07r build.

Question for you, when you installed the rearset plates, how did you prop up the rear?
I coached the latter part of this year, and will be there next year.  

I thought I had pictures of the way I jacked up the rear of the bike.  But @mossrider explained it perfectly.  Be sure you lock down the front so it doesn't tip.  If you are just using a front stand, it's not going to be stable.

It's been quite a while since I've been on the forums. Had a crash that knocked me out for most of the season, broken collarbone and messed up shoulder. Once I get some time, I'll write something up about what and how it happened. The bike is fine, just not as pretty as it was. More to come.
Glad to here you're back and ok.  Hope to race with you someday. Henks and I race with the CRA in MN but will be at Road America too this year along with another FZ from our club. Love your bike.  
Cheers!

I'm hoping to get out to Road America this year.  It's on my bucket list of tracks to go to.  CCS usually has an ASRA round out there.  If I can budget for it, I'll definitely make the trip.

Yams and Ham!

• 2 weeks later...

If you ever think about crashing your FZ-07 race bike, my first piece of advice is don't.  It can hurt.  And you can break things, like the bike or yourself.  It's just not a good idea.

My second piece of advice is, get protection for the bike.  If you are racing or tracking, I would assume you already have the proper gear.  For the bike, case covers go a long way.  They prevented some serious rash on the left side.  And underneath the covers, it still looks brand new.  Also, the Woodcraft frame and bar-end sliders worked really well for me.  I know many people don't like sliders because of the chance of flipping.  So far, the 3 crashes I've had (all of separate bikes) had the sliders protect the bike while sliding.  The Woodcraft sliders are really beefy and hold up well.

Unfortunately, the protection won't stop things from breaking or just being scratched up.  The fairing from AP MotoArts held up well thanks to sliders.  But there was quite a bit of rash.  What helped in saving the fairings was the fairing stay.  I talked to AP a few weeks after the crash and he said he designed the fairing stay to snap under heavy load.  If it didn't, the fairing probably would have been smashed in pretty good.

IMG_20161128_234816351_zpshikzackz.jpg

IMG_20161128_234726335_zpsitbvijtt.jpg

IMG_20161128_234156259_zpsbqopxzrv.jpg

IMG_20161128_234102515_zpsg3bkm7jm.jpg

• Like 2

Yams and Ham!

• 2 years later...

All the money , parts and hours working to prepare your FZ07r. Season lost and addtional funds to repair what was a new race bike. I see by you're number plate that indicates novice rider. Not going to give advice it is almost never heeded. When and if you start this season, it has been said by some of the formost American Superbike competitors that the race is not won on the first turn

• Like 1

12 hours ago, flashg47 said:

All the money , parts and hours working to prepare your FZ07r. Season lost and addtional funds to repair what was a new race bike. I see by you're number plate that indicates novice rider. Not going to give advice it is almost never heeded. When and if you start this season, it has been said by some of the formost American Superbike competitors that the race is not won on the first turn

More often than not I've seen it won on the last turn.

Beemer