The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07SS - Racebike Build

gogokawi

• Premium Member

All this FZ-07ss talk has me rethinking. Unlike you gogokawi, I really enjoyed tracking an SV. I'm going to watch your build to see how the bike comes along. If I do this it will be a two step process. I'm going to set up the suspension and take it out on the track. If I like the ride, I'll complete the process.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
All this FZ-07ss talk has me rethinking. Unlike you gogokawi, I really enjoyed tracking an SV. I'm going to watch your build to see how the bike comes along. If I do this it will be a two step process. I'm going to set up the suspension and take it out on the track. If I like the ride, I'll complete the process.
I think you'll love it.  My suspension is all sorted and feels great on track.  The only thing holding me back at this point is my skill set :) 
As for the front fender and clip ons...I saw on Instagram that AP Motoarts posted a replacement front fender, but it's modeled like the OEM one.  They also have something called the "RS" model, which appears to be just the tank and rear section plastics, with stock front end, handlebars, etc.  With that tank I believe you CAN run true clip-ons.  With the Ohlins track bike mentioned mentioned above, they did it too, but the air intakes are still molded into their plastics, and it looks like it'll still rub.  With the AP Motoarts tank plastics, I think true clip-ons will work.

I'm gonna try and have a chat with Andy of AP Motoarts this Friday at Chuckwalla.  I'm doing a private track day on Thursday, and staying overnight to catch up with him as he'll be there for the TrackDayz event on Friday.

If there is anything you guys want me to ask him, let me know...

:)

- Paulie

Braking is making a 282 mm od wave rotor now.don't know if it would be legal for you,but those, some ebc extreme pros and braided lines,brakes would get pretty decent.hard racing is selling them.
R6 radial M/C is a popular mod on the FZ09... if you're allowed to swap it.

Woodcraft clipons with 2" rise do work with AP bodywork. Little tight fit but works. 

Agreed.  But some of the folks want to know if those clip-ons work with stock plastics.

Your bike looks good.  Where are you tracking/racing it?  Also, do you find that the steering stabilizer is needed?

Braking is making a 282 mm od wave rotor now.don't know if it would be legal for you,but those, some ebc extreme pros and braided lines,brakes would get pretty decent.hard racing is selling them.
R6 radial M/C is a popular mod on the FZ09... if you're allowed to swap it.
Not allowed in the SuperSport class.  SuperBike, you can basically go nuts on your bike and do just about anything.

Yams and Ham!

Got it! FZ09 is 15mm dia and FZ8 16mm. Both look the same and have threads for the mirrors... if that can help. ;)

I personally use the 16mm master (FZ8) with EBC Pro HH pads and 320mm EBC rotors (R1) on my niner... stop on a dime!

Back to the build...   :D

I've started to layout the parts I have and put together those things that need assembly.  Clip-ons are the standard Woodcraft version.  The risers look nice.  And based on the pictures that @TWF posted, they will fit the bill nicely.  It does look like the bolts that hold the forks might limit the adjustments you can make to the angle of the bars.  I won't know until I get my forks back and I can install everything on the bike.

Now onto the rearsets.  With the FZ-07 being so new, we are limited right now to what we can get.  The only ones I've found for the bike are Woodcraft and Driven.  I went with Woodcraft.  They are well made and parts are readily available, though they lack the amount of adjustment found on Vortex and Sato.  That's a good compromise.  Overall, I like Woodcraft's rearsets except for one thing.  I can feel my blood pressure rising as I'm typing this.  >:D   Why would a $300+ piece of kit not include all of the pieces necessary to assemble and install them on the bike?  It's infuriating!  Woodcraft requires you to either cannibalize your stock pegs for one bolt and 2 washers on each peg or to buy those parts separately.  WHY???  It makes no sense to me why Woodcraft couldn't just make the pivot bolts and supply the washers.  What if I didn't have the OEM pegs?  What if I wanted to sell the OEM pegs?  What if I just bought the freaking rearsets to install on my bike so I can just ride the darn thing?  It baffles me.  From a design perspective, there is no reason that Woodcraft can't supply that hardware.  All of the pieces that the pivot bolt and washers attach to Woodcraft made.  They are a machining company for goodness sakes!  Rant over...  I'm not going to disassemble the stock pegs.  So I order the pieces.  Hopefully they will be here before the first track day.  Otherwise, I'll be rocking the stockers at the track.

The exhaust is typical Yoshimura.  It looks very similar to the pipe on the Ninja 300, minus mounting hardware.  That should go pretty quickly.

And that's all of the parts that I have to put together.  When I start the install, I'll post pictures as I go, especially when I get the hardware from AP.  I think that's what most want to see.  I do too!

Yams and Ham!

I doubt this clipons would work with stock bodywork. They do have option of using spacer between clamp and riser which is what I did. That makes them rotate around without interference with pinch bolt.
Problem is there is no much room to do it because they either to close to tank or hand hits upper. I was thinking to open up upper body cut out little bit to give it more clearance and adjustment.
Steering damper is to protect bike from rider :). It is also required in wera.

Under normal circumstances, I have enough patience to wait for a snail to cross a highway.  But when it comes to motorcycles, my patience reservoir is not as deep.  Quite shallow actually.  Which means, I'm going crazy.  I want to finish building the bike!   :-/

So to keep myself appeased, I spent last night putting together the clip-ons.  I know, 6 bolts and done.  But I needed something!  I was feening!!!  I'm pretty sure there will be clearance issues with the fork pinch bolt.  Adding a spacer to push them out has disadvantages.  I need to get this worked out once the forks come in.

A had a few minutes after work today and decided to install the new chain adjusters with the spools.  I have to say, they are pretty nice!  Those things are rock solid once they are on.  I did add some Loctite to the bolts, since I am paranoid.  But I'm confident they will hold up the bike with no problem.  I am curious how they will hold up.

IMG_20160222_172801988_zpso9waesik.jpg

IMG_20160222_172756655_zpsgv04wgpc.jpg

IMG_20160222_172751692_zpsji2awzql.jpg

IMG_20160222_172737896_HDR_zpspipdi6o5.jpg

Yams and Ham!

• Premium Member

@gogokawi Those look very nice. Are those those the ones posted from ebay a while back? How's the fit and construction?
I have the Gilles version and use them often (every chain lube, and oil change).

Why can't left turners see us?

@gogokawi Those look very nice. Are those those the ones posted from ebay a while back? How's the fit and construction? I have the Gilles version and use them often (every chain lube, and oil change).
Yeah, these are from eBay.  I was worried at first.  But, the fit was pretty much perfect.  Everything lined up and bolted on like it was supposed to.  The three pronged dial can be used at the locking nut by itself.  But I wanted to play it safe and added the stock nut for extra security.  I'm probably going to drill and safety-wire it since I'm a little paranoid.

Yams and Ham!

There's always an adventure around every turn. I guess that's the saying.  And when it comes to motorcycles, I would say that there's an adventure with every turn of a bolt.  Because turning that bolt could be the start of hours worth of work, when you would think it should take minutes or seconds.  Case and point...

A gas cap.  A simple flap that closes to keep in gas and fumes, with a lock to keep it shut.  Every motorcycle has one.  And when you think manufacturers, it makes sense that they would have the same parts to some degree.  You know...  To save money.  That makes sense, right?  Well, to me it does.  Apparently, not to Yamaha.

I bought a Vortex gas cap for Yamahas.  Now lets get this out now.  I'm a dumba$$ some times.  I saw that the FZ-07 wasn't on the fitment list.  But it's a Yamaha.  A slightly smaller one, but one with a 180 rear tire!  Why wouldn't this cap fit?  Welp...  Here's the answer:

IMG_20160225_172828491_zps5xfxf2da.jpg

I believe that orange, rubber piece releases pressure when you open the tank.  It is also a seal, which is missing from the Vortex.  The problem is now I have to find something to plug that hole, which goes directly into the tank.  My fear is leaving it unsealed will mean water and anything else will get in there.  My fix is to find some fuel line that will fit and plug the hole.  If that doesn't work, the stock one will go back on.

Here's what the tank opening without the cap looks like.

IMG_20160225_172840404_zpsbxombpqx.jpg

Yams and Ham!

It does not go into tank, it just passes through. Should be on bottom right side of the tank. Blow some air through and see.
It is just vent for tank. On CA models you usually find that orange rubber piece to seal vent line and not polute great CA air. Than it goes to charcoal can.
We don't have any of that crap on our bike :)
You do want to plug it so you don't get any fuel in.

It does not go into tank, it just passes through. Should be on bottom right side of the tank. Blow some air through and see. It is just vent for tank. On CA models you usually find that orange rubber piece to seal vent line and not polute great CA air. Than it goes to charcoal can.
We don't have any of that crap on our bike :)
You do want to plug it so you don't get any fuel in.

The service manual says nothing about that. But I'm realizing there are a lot of little things missing from that book.

Thanks! An air pump and piece of hose should be a nice test instrument. Hoping it is a vent so I can plug it. Really, it's already plugged until the cap is opened. So there should be no issues with plugging. More updates tomorrow.

Yams and Ham!

Just looked at service manual. You can see parts of it on pages 2-43, 2-57 and 7-3. It is rear of the two hose nipples on right bottom of the tank.
I have the MT-07 manual.  Glad to know that there are some differences between the manuals.  I found the hose on the fuel tank diagram, page 2-61 in the manual I have.  It's the "fuel tank breather" hose, which is one of the hoses that leads to the bottom of the bike.  I'm still curious how this works with that orange nipple plugged all the time until you open the stock cap.  Maybe pressure is what allows it to vent when the latch is closed?  I don't know...  Because I wasn't sure, I didn't fully plug it.  I bought some fuel line connectors from AutoZone and stuffed one in the vent opening.  It protrudes up about 10mm, which should keep it snug.  
Now for the gas cap.  It fits!  And like any build, there are some caveats when using parts not specifically made for your bike.  Firstly, the aftermarket gas cap is anchored with 3 bolts.  The stock cap has 5.  But wait!  That's not true.  The stock cap is anchored down with 3 bolts, and the other 2 bolts are just for show.  That's right!  Those 2 bolts do nothing except seal the holes created for those bolts.  The second thing is that the height of the unit is about 2mm shorter than stock.  I do not think this is a problem since the gasket around the tank does flex enough to maintain the seal all the way around the gas cap unit.  But I will keep an eye on it.  And lastly, you will have to modify the gasket to make the gas cap fit.  Where the top bolt lives, the gasket extend toward the tank opening in a circle.  I believe this is to assist with fitment.  But it's not needed.  If you look at where the lower bolts live, the gasket extends out but is not create a full circle; more like a quarter moon (look at the tank pic to see what I'm referring to).  So, I modified the top of the gasket to look like that.  And perfect fit!

Like most things I do on a motorcycle, this should have taken 10 - 15 minutes.  Total time on the gas tank?  Probably an hour, and more if you count the trip to AutoZone.

I'm still waiting on the goods to come in.  It will be really close getting everything prior to the first track day in 2 weeks.  I foresee some all-nighters in the near future.

Yams and Ham!

Correct, it is fuel tank breeder hose. Fuel tank is vented through the cap itself. If you look at your cap you will see small hole in it which aligns with orange nipple. That is you routing, throughout the cap, into orange nipple, through the pipe inside the tank and out of the bottom of the tank.
Aftermarket cap usually does not use stock gasket. You just bolt it on. Cap itself will have gasket to seal around fill hole.

with those chain adjusters, can you remove the rear wheel when the bike is on the spools? Or do you need to use a different stand?
Yes, they allow you to take the tire off while the bike is resting on the spools.  I haven't tested them out yet.  I'm waiting for my forks and ECU to come back from AP MotoArts since the front is on a head lift stand.  I want to test changing the rear tire and running the bike while on the spools.  I'll give a report here.

Yams and Ham!

Lot's of activity this week.  I found out the bodywork, mounting hardware, shock, and upgraded forks come in next week.  To make the track-day, I have to have everything done by 10am Saturday morning.  And I will be travelling through Friday morning on business.  It's going to be a long Friday!

I started to take items off the bike:

[ul type=disc][*]Battery[*]Rear fender and tail light[*]Stock foot pegs[*]Exhaust[/ul]
I did a partial install of the exhaust and rearsets.  I couldn't do a full install since I will change out the suspension link and shock next week.

Looks like some bits will have to be ground off in order for the bodywork to fit.  I'll note what they are.  If I can find a way around it, I will definitely try.

The Lithium battery is really light compared to the stock battery.  Man, that thing is heavy, and a pain to take out of the bike when your hands are cold.  The spacers are definitely needed for the new battery so it doesn't rattle around.  It takes about 60% of the space in the battery box.

K&N air filter is now in.  I'm surprised at how difficult it is to access the airbox.  It's not to bad with the body panels already off the bike.  Once you access the box, just drop in the new filter (after cleaning the bug remains) and done.  

I'm really worried about the clip-ons.  It's been my main concern since seeing the picture @twf posted.  I will need to have some type of a riser on the bike to be comfortable.  I have a plan B if the Woodcrafts don't work out.  More to come on that.

I don't have any pics yet, but they will start to roll-in after next week.

Yams and Ham!

Archived