The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07SS - Racebike Build

gogokawi

Howdy folks.  This is my first time creating a thread on the forum.  So be gentle...

I picked up a used 2015 FZ-07 mid January so that I can race it in the lightweight class and do track days.  Why this bike?  Three main reasons:
1. My blood is green. But Kawasaki's Ninja 650 isn't that great of a platform without some serious modification. Disappointed!
2. I bought a SV650 and realized that I don't like V-Twins.  Plus I didn't like the proportions and ergos of the bike.
3. Most importantly, THIS

When I saw the bike in the link and started researching, I knew I had to have it.  It's the perfect combination between my Ninja 300 and the SV650 in terms of weight, size, power, and style.  My only gripe is it's a Yamaha.  Now, I don't dislike Yamaha at all.  My issue with Yamaha is that the bikes they make are so good, the race grids are full of them.  In middleweight class, 80% of the bikes are R6's.  It's kind of funny to look at.  Right now, no one is rocking the FZ-07 on the east coast, and I like that.  I guess I have to be different.

On to the good stuff!  To get race ready, new parts are needed.  Lots of new parts!  So many parts in fact that my room is full of empty boxes, bubble-wrap, packing slips, and boxes with aluminum goodies covered in plastic.  Mostly everything has been ordered.  I'll give a rundown of what I have and will have:
[ul type=disc][*]Yoshimura R77 Full Exhaust[*]Woodcraft clip-ons (41mm with 2inch rise)[*]Woodcraft rearsets[*]Adjustable, long breakaway levers[*]Replacement chain adjusters with spools[*]K&N race filter[*]Spiegler stainless brake lines[*]EBC EPFA brake pads[*]Lithium battery[*]Engine Ice Coolant[*]JRI Race shock[*]Andreanni Fork Carts[*]Flashed ECU and quickshifter[*]Race body work and mounts[*]Rearset brackets[*]Radiator Guard[/ul]
The last 4 items I'm getting from AP MotoArts in Orange, California.  Andy, the owner, has been really great to work with and is a wealth of knowledge about the bike and its racing capabilities.  If you haven't seen already, there was an article if Sport Rider magazine and Road Racing World talking about his company and the bike setup.  He has my forks and ECU now.  I should get them back plus the fairings and shock in the next couple of weeks.

As I start do something, I'll document it here.  If I'm not too frustrated, I'll take pictures along the way.  I say that because I always seem to run into issues, some big and other major.  My fingers are crossed that this will be smooth.

Here's what the bike looked like when I got it.  
IMG_20160202_135236246_zpsdahk2vm8.jpg

Yams and Ham!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Global Moderator

@gogokawi very interested in seeing your progress

Glad to see you got the best color :)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Someone at my work had a chance to ride the fz07r and said it was amazing and handled amazing on the track. This is coming from a guy that has raced and has done many track days on many different bikes, so its big thumbs up to those guys doing the mods

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Premium Member

Very cool @gogokawi ! You might have to change your name to gogoyami! ;)
Looks like a fantastic project and I'll be checking it out as you provide more info.
Thanks!

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Very nice list @gogokawi!

Andy also makes a ride height link that's supposed to make a difference in handling as well - I didn't see that in your list so just letting you know in case you weren't aware :)

I've been thinking about changing to a lithium battery as well. Which one did you go with?

Can't wait to see your bike when it's done!

:)

- Paulie

I can't wait to dive into this thing. I foresee lots of late nights in the near future. And I will probably be on here asking lots of silly questions. So bear with me. I'm hoping that my stumbling will help the next person with their build.

I called this a FZ-07SS since it will be a supersport build. The difference between the R and SS is the front-end from an R6 and, as @pgeldz pointed out, the rear linkage. Since I'm running in the supersport class, I can't make changes to the frame, swingarm, or front-end. Basically, the major components of the bike have to remain stock. Updates to the fork internals and shock replacement are allowed. I can't even swap wheels.

The Andreanni fork internals should be a night a day upgrade. Even though I'm not getting the custom rear linkage, The shock is going to be modified to be the right height. Plus, I will be able to raise or lower the bike using shock adjustments.

For the first year, the bike will be a SS. The only reasons I will switch it to the R are:
1. Front brakes suck.
2. No decent aftermarket brake rotors.
3. I crash horribly and demolish the front-end.

Plus, I do kind of want to ride this bike on the street at some point, so I want to keep it close to stock. It looks like a blast to ride in the mountains!

Yams and Ham!

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Andy also has those rear set adjuster brackets. I have the Woodcraft Clip On Risers and Rear sets and its no where near aggressive enough. I feel that the rear set adjuster brackets can remedy some of that. @pgeldz, you would definitely benefit from those brackets brotha.

SigSide.jpg

I've been thinking about changing to a lithium battery as well. Which one did you go with? 
Can't wait to see your bike when it's done!

- Paulie
I have the Battery Tender lithium battery, BTL14A2.  For the price and weight (1.7 lbs.), you can't beat it.  I love Shorai.  The warranty is top notch!  But I've had bad luck with their batteries.  If it weren't for that, I would have gone with the Shorai. 
@jeffkisthename  I'm getting rearset brackets as well.  I'll update the original post to call them out separately instead of lumping them in with the body work mounts.  But those things look great.  Even if I kept the stock pegs, I would think about getting them just for the wide range of adjustment you have.  I'm sure they'll be perfect for the track.

Yams and Ham!

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

For sure, and post pics. I wanna see them on a non FZ07R. I wonder how they'll blend in with the stock panels.

SigSide.jpg

For sure, and post pics. I wanna see them on a non FZ07R. I wonder how they'll blend in with the stock panels.
I think there are issues with the silver side panels. The shift rod ends up hitting them unless you remove the whole panel or modify the bottom of the panel.

http://fz07.org/thread/3709/

• Premium Member
@pgeldz , you would definitely benefit from those brackets brotha.

I hear ya @jeffkisthename , but I think if I got the rearset plates I'd want lower bars to match, and with the stock FZ-07 tank and air intakes that's just not possible.

I called this a FZ-07SS since it will be a supersport build. The difference between the R and SS is the front-end from an R6 and, as @pgeldz pointed out, the rear linkage. Since I'm running in the supersport class, I can't make changes to the frame, swingarm, or front-end. Basically, the major components of the bike have to remain stock. Updates to the fork internals and shock replacement are allowed. I can't even swap wheels.

The Andreanni fork internals should be a night a day upgrade. Even though I'm not getting the custom rear linkage, The shock is going to be modified to be the right height. Plus, I will be able to raise or lower the bike using shock adjustments.

Ahh, so pretty much just like my bike but with plastics...

My Penske rear shock is slightly longer than stock, and ride height adjustable as well, so I'm not sure how much Andy's rear linkage would help on a set up like mine (ours).

As for the forks, I understand a fork swap brings more possibilities to use different braking components, but as for the forks themselves I'm not convinced that a swap to different stock forks (R6) are better than something like the Traxxion Dynamics AK20's I already have. Now, if you upgraded the swapped R6 forks to Ohlins, AK20's etc than maybe it'll be worth it, but the cost gets exponentially expensive from there I'd imagine.

Can't wait to see your bike when it's all done. You're gonna love it! Has Andy come up with a solution yet for his bodywork and stock forks, instrument panel, etc?

The FZ-07R's I've seen in person had the swapped front end with custom triple tree, and the brackets looked like they would have to be different if running the OEM stuff.

Either way, please keep us posted on your progress!

- Paulie

I think there are issues with the silver side panels. The shift rod ends up hitting them unless you remove the whole panel or modify the bottom of the panel. 
http://fz07.org/thread/3709/
Silver side panels will be coming off.  I love the way they look.  But it's unnecessary weight come race time.  Plus, I don't want to mess them up if I decide to say hello to the pavement.

Yams and Ham!

Ahh, so pretty much just like my bike but with plastics... 
My Penske rear shock is slightly longer than stock, and ride height adjustable as well, so I'm not sure how much Andy's rear linkage would help on a set up like mine (ours).

As for the forks, I understand a fork swap brings more possibilities to use different braking components, but as for the forks themselves I'm not convinced that a swap to different stock forks (R6) are better than something like the Traxxion Dynamics AK20's I already have. Now, if you upgraded the swapped R6 forks to Ohlins, AK20's etc than maybe it'll be worth it, but the cost gets exponentially expensive from there I'd imagine.

Can't wait to see your bike when it's all done. You're gonna love it! Has Andy come up with a solution yet for his bodywork and stock forks, instrument panel, etc?

The FZ-07R's I've seen in person had the swapped front end with custom triple tree, and the brackets looked like they would have to be different if running the OEM stuff.

Either way, please keep us posted on your progress!

- Paulie

He said he already has a couple of bikes racing with the supersport setup and the brackets have no fitment issues.  But, I'm going to talk to him next week about it just to make sure.   
Now only if it weren't 15 degrees in the garage.  I want to work on the bike!!!  But I can't even hold a tool longer than 5 minutes.

Yams and Ham!

I don't know the details about what AP has been doing with setup, but on many race bikes the linkage is changed for two reasons.  First, to adjust the rear ride height, and second to change the suspension action from progressive to linear.  On the 2nd gen SV650 for example, the suspension linkage is very progressive.  This is done by the OEM so that when you ride 2up with 2x the weight on the bike, it doesn't bottom out.  But when you're racing you want a linear linkage ratio so that as the suspension compresses the forces stay consistent and are governed by the spring and valving in the shock.  Effectively it gives you a larger working range for the suspension.

AP knows his stuff so if he is making a custom linkage it is probably for a good reason.  Regardless, the FZ has a lot of excellent features (5.5 inch rim, good brakes, light weight) that make it a good SS bike.

I talked to AP this week. Most of the goodies will be sent in the next couple of weeks. The fairings are lagging behind a bit. But I'm hoping to get them prior to my track day mid-March.

More good news, there are no issues with the body work or mounts with the stock front-end. Also, frame sliders will fit with the fairings on.

Now for the important question, what color to paint it? I'm leaning towards Kawasaki green. Blasphemy, I know!

Yams and Ham!

So I am curious. Is AP providing clip ons or are you going to choose your own aftermarket clip ons? Since your not modifying your front will you have any bodywork interference at full left/right lock?

Edit: sorry just saw you are using woodcraft clip ons. Can we get pics of this installed with stock body work on?

• Premium Member

Do they have a new front fender to go with the stock forks? Just curious, as styling of the stock fender is a little angular compared to the new bodywork. Either way, I'm sure it'll look awesome when it's finished.

Speaking of bodywork, do the class rules say you have to use full bodywork? I only ask because you mentioned that you wanted to take off the Silver side panels because it's unnecessary weight come race time. If you're allowed to run "naked" you'd save a lot of weight no? You'd probably still need a fully closed belly pan, but I'm just wondering if racing naked might be a great advantage, weight wise...

- Paulie

• Premium Member

Braking is making a 282 mm od wave rotor now.don't know if it would be legal for you,but those, some ebc extreme pros and braided lines,brakes would get pretty decent.hard racing is selling them.

Ya can always go with your kawi green and add accents in yamaha blue or yellow.
Now that you say this, I may have to mock-up what the bike will look like.  I was toying around with a vinyl "FZ-07" on both sides, kind of like how Suzuki and Aprilia do on their GP bikes.  I like the Blue accents.  I have to ponder on that one...

So I am curious. Is AP providing clip ons or are you going to choose your own aftermarket clip ons? Since your not modifying your front will you have any bodywork interference at full left/right lock?  
Edit: sorry just saw you are using woodcraft clip ons. Can we get pics of this installed with stock body work on?
I bought the clip-ons with the 2 inch riser.  The bodywork is off the bike and packed away.  But I will do some measurements when I install them.  Should be in a couple of weeks when I get the forks back.

Now that I mention it, I will leave the stock bar on for comparison purposes.  I'm curious how that will look too!

Do they have a new front fender to go with the stock forks? Just curious, as styling of the stock fender is a little angular compared to the new bodywork. Either way, I'm sure it'll look awesome when it's finished. 
Speaking of bodywork, do the class rules say you have to use full bodywork? I only ask because you mentioned that you wanted to take off the Silver side panels because it's unnecessary weight come race time. If you're allowed to run "naked" you'd save a lot of weight no? You'd probably still need a fully closed belly pan, but I'm just wondering if racing naked might be a great advantage, weight wise...

- Paulie

I think it's the same front fender they he's always used.  It doesn't look as stylish as the stock fender, but it will come together once painted.

In most club racing, you can go with fairings or without, as long as you have number plates and a bellypan.  Yes, you will have a lighter bike, by about 15 or so pounds.  The main drawback is wind resistance.  You can carve through the wind much easier with bodywork.  A friend that races Ninja 300's with me raced for a while with no windscreen.  He put the windscreen on and immediately dropped time.  You won't have to work as hard with fairings.  Plus they make the bike look so sexy!   :D

And I'm going to play around with the silver pieces.  They do look nice.  But if they are a pound or 2, they're going to come off.  

Braking is making a 282 mm od wave rotor now.don't know if it would be legal for you,but those, some ebc extreme pros and braided lines,brakes would get pretty decent.hard racing is selling them.
$300+ for one rotor is a bit much.  They are nice though!  I may consider it if the brakes are that bad.  But the Cali folks don't seem to have much trouble running them.  And I'm not that fast.  I just like to look like I am.

Yams and Ham!

I think for us normal fz07 folks, clip ons would fit without interference if the black plastics side scoops were off the bike.

• Premium Member
I think for us normal fz07 folks, clip ons would fit without interference if the black plastics side scoops were off the bike.
I agree. 
If AP is capable of making complete set of plastics for a bike that doesn't even have any stock, I wonder if I could talk them into making replacement side panels that would omit the black OEM air intakes an incorporate a different design that would accommodate true clip ons?

I'd love to use their rear set riser plates in conjunction with my adjustable rearsets, but then the handle bars woud need to be much lower to match.  A new side panel to accommodate true clip ones would be the hot ticket!

- Paulie

I agree. 
If AP is capable of making complete set of plastics for a bike that doesn't even have any stock, I wonder if I could talk them into making replacement side panels that would omit the black OEM air intakes an incorporate a different design that would accommodate true clip ons?

I'd love to use their rear set riser plates in conjunction with my adjustable rearsets, but then the handle bars woud need to be much lower to match.  A new side panel to accommodate true clip ones would be the hot ticket!

- Paulie
I bet he could definitely make new plastics to accommodate clip ons or a modified version of his tank cover. I would rather not use the adapter plate version specific to the fz07.

I am looking to do a poor man track build (no aftermarket fairings). I just need to convince gogo to put on the tank plastics (minus the black scoops) and bolt up those clip ons so we can see if there is enough clearance.

If it is possible I ripping those black scoops off, buying clip ons, a rear shock, tires, rearsets/riser plates, and APs rear linkage to have some fun on the track.

I agree. 

- Paulie
I bet he could definitely make new plastics to accommodate clip ons or a modified version of his tank cover. I would rather not use the adapter plate version specific to the fz07. 
I am looking to do a poor man track build (no aftermarket fairings). I just need to convince gogo to put on the tank plastics (minus the black scoops) and bolt up those clip ons so we can see if there is enough clearance.

If it is possible I ripping those black scoops off, buying clip ons, a rear shock, tires, rearsets/riser plates, and APs rear linkage to have some fun on the track.

If you want to run clip-on with the stock plastics, I would look at Apex.  I've had them on my street bike for the past 3 years.  They are great, and have an amazing amount of adjustability: height, horizontal angle, vertical angle, and tilt.  
.  I think they may work.  But make sure you get the 2 inch riser.  You will need that extra height.

Yams and Ham!

Archived