The MT-07 Forum

Long distance?

pilotingpete

Obviously the FZ07 isn't a touring bike, but that doesn't mean I don't want to go for a long distance trip.

How far have you all ridden on your FZ07? What were the best/worst parts? Did you do anything special to make your trip more comfortable?

Done a few 400+ mile in a day trips, the seat it my only real problem though
if your out in the sticks keep the tank topped up as I have near run out
a few times, it will do 200 miles on a full tank but a bit more would help.

Guest 2wheeler

I bought my FZ in October, and unfortunately do not live in a warm climate. Having said that, I had a 420 mile weekend with 250 in one day. This was done with no windscreen. The riding was fine, and I basically had no issues at all.

Having said that, the most miles I ever put on in a day was a ride from Bar Harbor, Maine to NYC which was approximately 500 miles which I did in 10 hours on a 83 Yamaha Seca 750.

The FZ is not a touring bike, so there is a lot to say for getting off every couple hours to get gas, snack, coffee, etc. I plan to do a lot of trips this summer. I also plan to have a Givi screen and a Seat Concepts saddle by then to make it a bit better.

Let you body be your guide as to how many miles you can do!

I bought mine last September and the most I've done is about 250 miles in a day on it. The wind was a little tiring, but that was the only problem and should hopefully not be an issue anymore with the windscreen I installed over the winter. Otherwise, it felt like a touring bike compared to my old R6.

I am thinking about getting one of the crampbuster wrist support things though. I've heard good things about them and I have a bad right wrist that might appreciate it.

I did 575 miles in one day last summer. From home to middle of nowhere PA, meeting a friend who also made the trip from up north. Started ~6am and was back home in bed at midnight. There's a lot of stuff to be mindful of for long trips, this is what I focused on during the trip.

- Fill up as soon as you become uncomfortable, with your gas level. For me I filled up when I was hovering between 1 & 2 ticks on the gas gauge or every 130-150 miles. Also filling up if you suspect you'll be going through sticks for more than 75 miles. The idea being you have the ability to ride back to your fill up station in case acts of God or plain stupidity.
- Carry cash. $100 should be sufficient to last you if you're in a tough spot, long enough to where you could have access to an ATM machine.
- Make sure you have your insurance card/contact numbers/what to do in an accident lists.
- Do all your scheduled maintenance before. clean chain/, tire pressure right, oil/coolant/brake/fork oil quantity & quality are good.
- Take breaks! Every 1-2 hours depending on how you feel which will change throughout. If you take a break, get back on your bike, ride a half mile, and think to yourself "Ugh can't wait to finish," you haven't had a long enough break.
- Bring a backpack that has a good sized water bottle (like a 1 L nalgene), snacks, external battery pack & cables for your phone/sena/helmetcam.
- EARPLUGS! Whatever you use, disposable or not, JUST WEAR THEM. 50 year old you will thank you when you don't have tinnitus.
- CRAMPBUSTER! Buy one! My trip was the only reason I bought it and I was using it 30 min into the trip. Very helpful for highway miles and can be folded back, completely out of your way when your carving corners. I still have mine on the bike. It's one of those things you'll appreciate once you own it.

I loved my trip because of the things I listed above. The only thing I would have done differently was to argue more to my friend that we should get a hotel room to allow us another day in those awesome PA mountains.

Worst part for me was the wind at one point. There was a route in PA that the posted speed limit was 80 and 18 wheelers were going 90-95! Wind at those speeds hurt my traps, but a lunch break cured that. Going fast also made me forget about it at times. I don't own a windscreen and can't attest to which windscreens would truly solve that issue, read around for that. 

• Premium Member

I've been up over 6 hours in one day. And plan on going or a 10 day trip soon because I think it can do it. Stopping every 200 miles or so is no biggie that's almost 3 hours and I'll be stopping most likely every 2 anyway and plan on doing 6 to 8 hours a day.
Everyone is different but comfort is key. I like the stock seat have no issues and the seating position if great for me I have a cramp buster for long constant speed that's about it.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

I've done 350 miles a day - solo - with mine without any problems. I have a medium windscreen and a Corbin seat. The only complain I had were my wrists, they needed a break from time to time....

[attachment id=1371" thumbnail="1]

Love to ride!

I did 462 miles in 14 hours. All secondary roads. My bottom was a bit sore. Shoulders and wrists too but it wasn't too bad. As soon as it warms up enough I'll be taking more rides like that. I've got big rides planned for this summer.

Furthest ive done in one day on the fz-07 was just a tick over 1200miles. Had the nat cycle sport touring windscreen, and kriega 50 strapped to the back. Was stopping roughly every 150 to 170 for fuel. Bike held up great, had fresh oil in it and i kept a minni can of chain spray.

Furthest ive done in one day on the fz-07 was just a tick over 1200miles. Had the nat cycle sport touring windscreen, and kriega 50 strapped to the back. Was stopping roughly every 150 to 170 for fuel. Bike held up great, had fresh oil in it and i kept a minni can of chain spray.
Wow! How long did it take you and how did you feel afterwards? 

That is hard core respect is due.

last summer i've ridden 4000km 2485 miles in 5 days. It's not a touring bike but comfortable enough to ride long distance. no vibration. comfortable seating, my average speed is 110 Kmh so it was fun. I have the original yamaha windshield as its in my avatar.

just use the chainlube per 500km and changed 3lts of oil.

jake

I may be doing some serious riding here in about a month so I'm wondering about those cramp busters. I understand the principal of how it works, push down it grips, twist up (clockwise) it releases but my concern is when you let off the throttle can you instantly grip the throttle as you normally would or is there a stepped procedure first? Thanks!

Beemer

• Premium Member
last summer i've ridden 4000km 2485 miles in 5 days. It's not a touring bike but comfortable enough to ride long distance. no vibration. comfortable seating, my average speed is 110 Kmh so it was fun. I have the original yamaha windshield as its in my avatar. 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Did you change 3L of oil while on your trip? 

• Premium Member
jake 
I may be doing some serious riding here in about a month so I'm wondering about those cramp busters. I understand the principal of how it works, push down it grips, twist up (clockwise) it releases but my concern is when you let off the throttle can you instantly grip the throttle as you normally would or is there a stepped procedure first? Thanks!
You won't have any problems. I have the cramp buster on the end of the grip, and you don't have to use it to operate the throttle if you move your hand toward the center a little.

• Premium Member
jake 
this is what I have and I like it I have one for each bike. Its only good for long steady speed in town riding its in the way. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/crampbuster-cruise-control

this might help its more simple than I think you think it is. And I have the same one in the video

Thank you jake and maybe07! That's what I needed to know. I'll be buying one then and the added bonus is it can double as a 'dangerous' cruise control, woot! So much for so little, I love it! There's a good chance I'll be going up to Blue Ridge, Ga. It looks like one of the closest places to here that has a mountain range to ride on. I have to get away from flat-ass Florida for a couple weeks at least!

[video src=https://youtu.be/MopuauO--4o]  The banjo's .... they're nothing to worry about ... right?!  ???

Beemer

• Premium Member

Love the Blue Ridge/ Sky line drive but speed limit is 35 :( So I go for the valleys speed limit is 55 and that's as fast as you want to go, less traffic generally too. Don't get me wrong though the Blue Ridge is great too, just get on and ride all day.
2 different places

Love the Blue Ridge/ Sky line drive but speed limit is 35 :( So I go for the valleys speed limit is 55 and that's as fast as you want to go, less traffic generally too. Don't get me wrong though the Blue Ridge is great too, just get on and ride all day. 2 different places
Oh, so you've been there. Anything in particular I should do or see there? I may do that train ride and if it's warm enough some white water rafting.

Beemer

Love the Blue Ridge/ Sky line drive but speed limit is 35 :( So I go for the valleys speed limit is 55 and that's as fast as you want to go, less traffic generally too. Don't get me wrong though the Blue Ridge is great too, just get on and ride all day. 2 different places
BRP speed limit is 45, with very few exceptions in Va. Skyline is 35.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member
Oh, so you've been there. Anything in particular I should do or see there? I may do that train ride and if it's warm enough some white water rafting.
I've been threw there half dozen times or more  and every time is different. This is in a car a few times in my SS camaro and a few times in the Z06 but not on the bike yet. Its just like any adventure every corner there is something new .... 
so yeah the limit is 45 in BRP but 35 on the sky line like I said its all good IMO, some times you hit miles of ok roads which are 100 % better than what is in FL or MI and you will come across that gem of a road off the beaten path, the perfect road no one but you on it for miles crazy curves and lovely views ... man I cant wait to get out there ...

Here you go, had to dig through some pictures. West Palm Beach to the Smokies trip on a naked bike. I had to get back in an emergency... 900 miles in 14hrs straight! I was a bit beat up but its doable. lol

77a4292b2dce60d596cae355e4892d4a.jpg

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Did you change 3L of oil while on your trip?
Give it to my language im sorry. Yamalube that i was talking about.

Archived