The MT-07 Forum

Engine speed or tach signal from ECU

pilotingpete

I am interested in the possibility of making an LED tach to supplement the existing LCD tachometer that came on my bike.

Does anyone know if there is a tach signal output from the ECU on the 2016 fz07?

Thanks!

AlbatrossCafe
Follow the crank trigger wire... that's what I did on the FZ09.  
I got one of those...
http://www.pzracing.it/en/project/lightronic/
Nice. I forgot these existed. I really liked this feature when I test rode the street triple. I think it would be good esp. for the FZ because the digital tach is very low placement-wise and the display is a little cluttered when trying to look at RPM quickly. Though arguably, with enough practice the sound of the engine is usually enough for me on any bike - but shift lights are still worth it because they look cool  8-)  
I will say, the one you linked I am not a fan of (how it goes from outside to the center). Ideally, I would like to find one in blue that is sequential left-->right and mount it right above the stock display. I might make my own. If that is a bust, a single LED at max RPM will be good enough 8-|

• Like 4

Follow the crank trigger wire... that's what I did on the FZ09.  
I got one of those...
http://www.pzracing.it/en/project/lightronic/
Nice. I forgot these existed. I really liked this feature when I test rode the street triple. I think it would be good esp. for the FZ because the digital tach is very low placement-wise and the display is a little cluttered when trying to look at RPM quickly. Though arguably, with enough practice the sound of the engine is usually enough for me on any bike - but shift lights are still worth it because they look cool  8-)  
I will say, the one you linked I am not a fan of (how it goes from outside to the center). Ideally, I would like to find one in blue that is sequential left-->right and mount it right above the stock display. I might make my own. If that is a bust, a single LED at max RPM will be good enough 8-|

That is kind of what I was thinking too. I am trill trying to figure out how to make it weatherproof though.

That is kind of what I was thinking too. I am trill trying to figure out how to make it weatherproof though.
Just a thought, if you can encapsulate everything in a clear resin (maybe some silicone that's used to seal aquariums) that should do the trick. How easy it is to get to afterwards would depend on your design. Good luck, sounds interesting so please keep us updated.
  • Like 1

Beemer

Just a thought, if you can encapsulate everything in a clear resin (maybe some silicone that's used to seal aquariums) that should do the trick. How easy it is to get to afterwards would depend on your design. Good luck, sounds interesting so please keep us updated.

Thanks, man. Yeah, I'll let you all know if this ever comes to fruition.

I like your idea of the silicone. Maybe along the same lines there is some UV stable epoxy that could work.

• 5 years later...

Hello, I am having almost the same question,after my original meter has been stolen, (tracer 700) in europe .

I am trying to connect a cheap one from ali,but I tried both coil cabels ,(red black as neg and both orange and grey as pos.
Nothing happened,I tried the black with blue line from crank position sensor but the  same there...
Has anybody any advise?