The MT-07 Forum

Penske 8983 preload adjustment

frk2

Hey all,
Quick question: when I got my penske I thought the bottom but (near the rear tire) was to adjust preload and started messing with that. Later I realized that was dumb and put it back roughly where it was and started adjusting from the top nut.

It's the same thing though right? Adjusting from the bottom one couldn't have done anything too bad? I'm trying to find out why mine rides so harsh.

Usually, at the bottom of any show there's no way to adjust the preload.
In some shock, at the bottom you can find the register for the length of the shock.
Please, can you post one photo of your Penske?

Edit:
I've found a photo of a Penske 8983, is this shock your shock?
bfOKziy.png

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

If this is your shock, I can see a double thread and a double way to adjust the preload.
The upper thread is really long. I think this is a standard adopted by Penske, in order to fit springs with very different lengths (for very different bikes!).

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

Hey all, Quick question: when I got my penske I thought the bottom but (near the rear tire) was to adjust preload and started messing with that. Later I realized that was dumb and put it back roughly where it was and started adjusting from the top nut.

It's the same thing though right? Adjusting from the bottom one couldn't have done anything too bad? I'm trying to find out why mine rides so harsh.

Go to the Penske technical web pages and READ the Moto shock manual & the moto-shock setup/tuning docs. Then ask Penske the questions you didn't find answers to.

Good luck,

Catfish ...

Archived