The MT-07 Forum

Recommend Riding Book Please.

bigity

Hello all,

I'm looking for a book about how to ride a motorcycle fast. My experience that leads me here: up until ONE week ago I was taking EVERY high speed corner with with my thighs tight on the tank, balls on pegs, relaxed arms and leaning the bike more and more as I got comfortable. Not a pro but no slouch with only about 1/2 inch chicken strips like this. This last week, I was like "maybe, just for the fun of it, I'll try and loose my thighs and move my butt to the inside, swing my body weight into the corner." Holllllllly shyte!!!! It's soooo much easier to go fast in the corners and with muuuch more confidence. I know this is the baby step to dragging knee, which isn't necessarily my end goal, but I realized I have a lot to learn.

So, any good riding book recommendations are greatly appreciated :)  

Its a little old but it helped me alot:

A Twist of the Wrist: The Motorcycle Road Racers Handbook Jul 8, 1983
by Keith Code

A Twist of the Wrist Vol. 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle RidingAug 31, 1997
by Keith Code and Doug Chandler

Guest 2wheeler

Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques, 1st Edition  by Lee Parks

I did a little research on this one, and arguably the 1st edition is better due to them excluding the yellow manuevering diagrams on the 2nd edition. I got a nearly new copy off ebay for $10 delivered.

As has been mentioned before, Twist of the Wrist is a good one. Another good one is "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch. It's more modern than Twist of the Wrist. Not that it's necessarily any better as they each have good information in them.

One more thing, I've read several bike books over and over and done a few track days. I will say if you find a good track day organization, you will learn much much more in one day about riding fast than you will in any book.  I don't mean to discourage anyone from reading, I just want to recommend if you want to learn to go fast, practice going fast, and do it safely, its hard to beat a track day

pineappleunderthesea
One more thing, I've read several bike books over and over and done a few track days. I will say if you find a good track day organization, you will learn much much more in one day about riding fast than you will in any book.  I don't mean to discourage anyone from reading, I just want to recommend if you want to learn to go fast, practice going fast, and do it safely, its hard to beat a track day
Agreed.  I have both "Twist of the Wrist 2" and "Total Control 1 (&2nd edition on Kindle, it's cheap!).  Both basically say similar things, and both will put you in the correct frame of mind in trying to improve yourself.  I find Total Control a little more useful for everyday riding, but in the end you have to practice all these techniques, and unless you want to set up cones in a parking lot somewhere, you need a class.  These techniques seem to benefit from doing the same thing over and over, and a class setting seems better for that.   
With that said, Total Control 1 does show all the diagrams to practice if you do want to set up in a parking lot with some buddies.

• 4 months later...

Reading Proficient motorcycling the ultimate guide to riding well by david hough at the moment. A twist of the wrist 2 is also on youtube. Have total control and mastering the ride in the Amazon wish list

I bought both volumes of Twist Of The Wrist to improve my race car driving. Once things sunk in a bit I needed to buy a bike.

• Global Moderator
I bought both volumes of Twist Of The Wrist to improve my race car driving. Once things sunk in a bit I needed to buy a bike.
Such a purdy "white'" bike it is too :)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived