The MT-07 Forum

When do you all un-winterize your bike?

snowdriftless

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Greetngs everyone, for those of you that live in a place with a "riding season", when do you decide to take your bike out and prepare it for the next year? Is it the first nice day, three rains after the last time the road was salted, when planetary alignment indicates judgement days is at hand, or some other criteria?

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

pineappleunderthesea

When I can no longer visibly see gobs of slippery grains of salt or those tiny little pebbles they like to thrown down instead of salt. All that junk seems to love to pool around corners or intersections. But I do try to get it out in April if I can, as long as the roads look mostly good, I'll take it easy for the first few rides. I hate staring at the bike in the garage in the winter, knowing it's months before I can ride it. I tried putting a cover on it, but that makes it worse because I know there's a bike under that tarp.

well my fz is already un-winterized, although it will be getting some sta-bil in the tank and some carpet under the tires since it looks like no good days to ride for a few weeks. My cbr has been winterized, and it won't come out of hibernation until I start seeing some consistent 60 degree days.

• Premium Member

Winterize when it's simply not enjoyable to ride because your hands are so cold that they feel like they can't pull the levers back. Whip the bike out when it's not cold enough to seize your hands around your grips. This will be my first spring with this bike. I live in Alberta a Canada. How bad is the gravel left over from the winter? I've heard it can catch you off guard pretty quick.

• Premium Member

Mid may hopefully here in michigan... and yes the first month or so i take it easy like I'm doing a "site lap" especially near corners as they fill up with sand...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

I usually ride it a couple times as the weather permits over the winter, so my "unwinterize" routine is basically to quit using the charger when I park it, quit putting stabil in the tank when I fill up, then wash the bike and lube the chain as soon as it's warm enough. Check tire pressure, oil, coolant and normal maintenance stuff. So really, nothing different, other than I have to wash the bike at the first opportunity, because my infrequent winter rides end up messing the bike up with salty mud.

Why can't left turners see us?

Well I never winterized in the first place. Hasnt been too bad in the North NJ/NYC area. We had one huge snow storm but i was able to ride a couple days later. This season has been surprisingly mild. We got a good snow yesterday as a matter of fact and it was 60F this morning and everything was gone. Just dealing with a ton of rain right now, which is good. Now we'll get some clear roads. Has the weather been that bad in Iowa?

• Premium Member

my bike was only winterized for two months, December and January..kind of an oddity in the PNW but I'll take it.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
Well I never winterized in the first place. Hasnt been too bad in the North NJ/NYC area. We had one huge snow storm but i was able to ride a couple days later. This season has been surprisingly mild. We got a good snow yesterday as a matter of fact and it was 60F this morning and everything was gone. Just dealing with a ton of rain right now, which is good. Now we'll get some clear roads. Has the weather been that bad in Iowa?
The temperature generally stays between 0 and 30(f) with some days down to about -10(f). Two years ago we had a week of -20(f) temperature days straight, not including windchill. This weekend is supposed to get up to about 50(f) and I will try to get out for at least a short ride.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Archived