The MT-07 Forum

How to: Installing OES Frame Sliders

Guest unknown

• Global Moderator

Yes, they replace the (black) stock bolt and washers. I would just ask them to give them to you. They are yours and if you ever decide to sell the bike you might consider bringing it back to stock first and sell the mods separately. You will need those bolts.

bmwpowere36m3

Service manual calls for 54 ft-lbs on the forward engine mount bolts (where the OES sliders install)… I also used loctite (medium strength).

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

They should have returned the two bolts and washers removed to install the frame sliders.  If they don't have them anymore, the dealer needs to order new ones for you at no cost to you. Even though you did not request them back, the dealer should have known better and given them back to you. Many dealers will take stock parts that are not returned to customers and sell them on eBay. 

• 4 weeks later...
Just to clarify, I contacted OES and the Yamaha factory washer must be removed.
Hmm... this is a headscratcher. Install instructions on the OES website (as of right now) read: 
The washer from the factory engine mount screw will be used beneath the frame slider to create a more defined mounting surface for the slider.

3. Confirm that our supplied screw has a washer on it--do not remove the washer or change how it is oriented on the screw upon receipt. Slightly grease or oil the threads of the frame slider mounting screw and insert it through the frame slider, then put the factory washer over the portion of the screw extending from the base of the frame slider. Install the frame slider where the factory engine mount screw was removed.

Sorry for the older thread bump. I just installed these sliders tonight and used the factory washer per instructions. If I really try hard, I can turn the sliders a bit. However, I didn't have a hex adapter thingamabob for my torque wrench, so I just had to hand tighten. I will check the bolts again in 50 miles (again, per instructions) and see if anything seems loose or the sliders turn more easily. Perhaps they turn a bit right now because of the oil used on the threads?

bmwpowere36m3

@shifther

I see the same instructions on their site… I installed the frame slider WITHOUT the factory washer and I can turn the plastic slider with "force". The plastic slider is only pressed onto an aluminum spacer, it should be able to rotate given enough force to overcome the friction between it and the spacer.

I emailed them to get confirmation.

bmwpowere36m3

Got a response from OES, basically says you can install with or without the factory washer... but the washer provides "a more solid mounting."

2F534752-E87D-455E-A8DE-272A9C095D02.png

Seems like some conflicting info... I'm going to take off the frame slider tonight and have a look at it.

• 6 months later...

For some reason the kit that I just received does not uses a 10 mm allen socket but it uses an 8mm and so the bolt that came with the slider is not the same size as the original bolt taken out of the engine mount (oes bolt is smaller and wont screw in), I am thinking that they sent me the wrong kit.. Any experience or thoughts about this?

For some reason the kit that I just received does not uses a 10 mm allen socket but it uses an 8mm and so the bolt that came with the slider is not the same size as the original bolt taken out of the engine mount (oes bolt is smaller and wont screw in), I am thinking that they sent me the wrong kit.. Any experience or thoughts about this?

If the bolt doesn't screw in then email or call OES to get replacements. If you bought them from eBay then you can try solving the problem through their email system.

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
Do I need to buy a rear tire stand to do this? Or does the kickstand + spotter provide enough support?

The fz is stronger than your mother in law. It needs no such rear tire stand.
Seriously tho, there's no reason to go through the hassle of using a rear stand for this.

Archived