The MT-07 Forum

What's been your experience with Hi Vis gear?

vroomvroom

I'm in the market for some gear.. Trying to get a sense of the impact hi vis gear has had for other riders... so please, share your experiences with how effective/ ineffective it has been for you.

I wear a neon yellow 3/4 jacket, a yellow helmet and a road-crew orange and reflective vest for my other jacket which isn't as visually assaulting. I use my horn as I lane split at the slightest provocation. I don't split if traffic is moving any faster than 10-15 (generally it's stopped) unlike those yahoos in CA which seem to think it's just fine to zip between traffic already going 30+mph because well, they want to do 50+.

I don't blind drivers with highbeams on all the time and sometimes cars pull over thinking I'm a moto-cop. The road-safety vest seems to really get noticed. So if you like to strut in your all-black Vanson Leathers, slap on a vest and watch the way part in front of you.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I dont know how much I buy into the HI-VIS argument. From what Ive read, psychologically people just arent programmed to see bikes as well as they do cars & trucks etc.
But hey, one can never really say for certain of its actual effectiveness. IMO if it gives you piece of mind but more importantly as long as you keep the same level of vigilance with or without wearing HI-Vis then I say go for it, couldnt hurt.

>> I was looking at the right place at the right time, and saw a biker wearing a HI-VIS jacket, midday sunny, not speeding, lights on, driving straight, get right smoked by someone turing across into a parking lot. The stupid ass in the car just turned right into him and off he flew.  The road was otherwise clear of other vehicles.
Least importantly but I feel compelled to mention; the old Dick-hole gets out of his car and instead of checking on the condition of the rider which he may have just killed, he only checks damage to his f'ing car. Others close by helped the rider. Nice.

Is it effective? Your call.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I have become a fan of Hi Vis gear. Since I started wearing a Joe Rocket Hi Vis Phoenix Ion Jacket I noticed more cars that started to pull out in front of me suddenly stop before they did.

Hi Vis ISN'T going to make EVERYONE see you. You always have to ride defensively. There are just some people that do not pay attention no matter what.  How many times have people pulled out in front of 18 wheelers and claim they didn't see the huge ass truck?

Wearing Hi Viz is about making yourself more visible than normal. And it has to be true Hi Viz colors, not just bright yellow or green. There is a difference. It's about neon reflective colors that stand out because they do not normally occur in nature and therefore draw a persons attention to the odd, out of place color. I myself like black with Hi Viz green as it makes the green stand out even more, at least in my eyes.

My 2 cents.

• Premium Member

I typically notice a difference, at least as far as I can tell. Out of the 18k miles or so I commuted last year, I had just a few near misses. When I run with my black helmet and black jacket I've had a similar rate of occurrence. That was only a few hundred to maybe 1k miles out of the total logged. I almost always run my hi vis helmet.

I wear the hi vis/reflective airmada voltare.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Headlights are another great visibility option. Brighter bulbs tend to make you stand out more. Just make sure you lights are adjusted so that you're not blinding drivers.

Hi Vis helps. But you are still made up of itty bitty parts with a typically busy visual background. And if the sun is behind you, you are just a silhouette no matter what color. Wear it if you are inclined, as it definitely helps. But you are still camouflaged, because visually you are made of many small and kinda incongruent parts and hard to see for many drivers. I wear a hi-vis helmet and gloves, and sometimes throw on a vest as well.

Hi Vis helps. But you are still made up of itty bitty parts with a typically busy visual background. And if the sun is behind you, you are just a silhouette no matter what color. Wear it if you are inclined, as it definitely helps. But you are still camouflaged, because visually you are made of many small and kinda incongruent parts and hard to see for many drivers. I wear a hi-vis helmet and gloves, and sometimes throw on a vest as well.
Yes, the itty bitty parts thing is somewhat valid, that's why I went with this, a big blob of yellow :)

www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-quick-seal-out-two-piece-rain-suit

I can't give you numbers, but cars definitely give me more space with this on, especially at night (I do a lot of night riding and often in the rain). You still have to be defensive but it is a huuuge difference. Yes, I notice better recognition during the day too, but it's not as drastic a change during the day. I chose this kind of gear because, well, I think the hi-viz stuff is nerdy. This way I can easily pack it in my bag and use it when I need it. I'm not trying to be judge people wearing hi-vis, it's just not my moto style preference.

Hi vis is the only thing I have found works at lest here in the UK,
I ride the MT on standard silencer and a Morini that would waken the dead
if you passed a grave yard on full power that makes not the slightest difference
to how other drivers treat me, don't rely on the horn, react get yourself out of
the idiots way don't wast time buggering about with that just get out the way then
serenade him once you are safe if you must. Hi Vis is the biggest band for your safety
buck, but some fool will always do the unexpected treat all other road users as homicidal
maniacs and react as soon as anyone makes a move don,t wait, A mate a bike cop was on a job blues n two's full Monty
and a car pulled out writing off the brand new first day out police bike and sending
the rider skating down the road on his back, he said he was already working out the charge
sheet as he slid down the road, noise light ans hi vis did not make the slightest difference
to that fool.

I've been riding for 40+ years (most of which w/o hi-vis gear) and the only two people that didn't see me and pulled in front of me were both drunk. I think hi-vis gear can help you be seen but unfortunately and according to statistics, people don't always see you until it's too late (even with hi-vis gear) and then there's the question of just how good a driver are they? They may see you but some don't react very well in a panic. Some freeze up, straighten their arms and jam the brakes as hard as they can and never think to simply turn the wheel to avoid hitting something so they crash into people at speed. There are different things to factor into a crash and even the experts don't have all the answers so it's speculative as to whether high vis gear WILL make you safer. I would say it can help to some degree but it depends on who's coming toward you.

Some people are good, alert drivers that will see you a 1/4 of a mile away and others will only see after they've finished adjusting their radio station, turning their heads to talk or yell at kids/someone, picking food up off the floor, the phone, sobering up, etc, etc. People with the best riding gear on earth get killed on bikes because someone still didn't see or hear them so there's no guarantee you're safe or safer with hi-vis gear. Bottom line ... it all depends. (IMO) Be safe! (try) 

Beemer

Headlights are another great visibility option. Brighter bulbs tend to make you stand out more. Just make sure you lights are adjusted so that you're not blinding drivers.
Thank you! Our headlight sits lower than the standard light on bikes and with the high bean pointing straight out it shouldn't be blinding anyone at night or especially the daytime. The average persons head in a car will be well above the brightest part of the beam so no blinding should be going on. I have the 3800 lumens Cyclops bulb. I ride with my brights on all the time, day and night and no-one flashes me, not even cops.

Beemer

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I agree with everything @beemer just stated.
I don't that is a appalling  attitude to other road users. 

Which part? My post refers to his first post actually. Not the light bulb one, but when I lane split I see people doing other shit than driving all the time. HI VIZ may be helpful, but in cases like mine (California commuting) his statements are true. I ride in the Bay Area California, and a lot of drivers just don't pay no damn attention. I've seen people reading everything from their phones to books and full on newspapers.

SigSide.jpg

I'm in the "He Man, Women Haters Club", so I don't care. ;)  Haaaa!

Beemer

• Premium Member

It helps but that's all. I always assume that cagers don't see me. I swerve slightly left and right when I see cars coming out to turn and always be ready to stop. Your attention and skill will be what saves your butt IMO.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

Which part? My post refers to his first post actually. Not the light bulb one, but when I lane split I see people doing other Shet than driving all the time. HI VIZ may be helpful, but in cases like mine (California commuting) his statements are true. I ride in the Bay Area California, and a lot of drivers just don't pay no damn attention. I've seen people reading everything from their phones to books and full on newspapers.
Wow! Phones are a given, but books and newspapers...?!?! Jeeesus.  One cant fix stupid, and stupid apparently is everyone. I would have to remove myself far far away from that driver lest I might do something I would definitely regret.  The "little policeman" on my shoulder would be repeating- "You cant ride when you're in jail!" and "You cant travel the world with a criminal record!"  Thank the gods for my little policeman, he hasnt 'shot' anyone yet. ;) F'ing newspapers and books...SMH GRRRRrrrrr.  I need to take up something soothing, like knitting or full time cat petter. HAHA.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

How is that an appalling attitude? If the headlight is adjusted properly and no one is flashing back in protest/annoyance (which people are always sure to do) then obviously there is no problem using ones HI-beam day and night. Furthermore, I also own the Cyclops 3800 and the difference in intensity of the HI-beam and low-beam is quite miniscule in comparison to other bulbs.

I'm not big on Hi-Vis goodies but I did get a little vest to put over my jacket last summer at Cycle Gears. (Bilt) Was cheap and did the job for my long road trip.

That's the only pic I can find...
82e7ef1fcc5e187a939db8e8d6f95ce2.jpg

How is that an appalling attitude? If the headlight is adjusted properly and no one is flashing back in protest/annoyance (which people are always sure to do) then obviously there is no problem using ones HI-beam day and night. Furthermore, I also own the Cyclops 3800 and the difference in intensity of the HI-beam and low-beam is quite miniscule in comparison to other bulbs.

No your right it is'nt I apologise did not read the post through and think about it. 

• Premium Member

No your right it is'nt I apologise did not read the post through and think about it. 

No worries!  8-)  

No bulb is bright enough to annoy another oncoming driver during the day. Daylight is soooooo much brighter than your light you eyes are stopped down for the ambient. If anything you SHOULD drive during the day with your light on high beam. Night time is a different matter especially out of town.
Fluro yellow/green has a extra impact in this state ( Queensland ) for getting noticed. Queensland motorcycle police wear fluoro yellow/green vests. It makes you look like a copper on first glance. Helps make sure people will see you for that reason alone. Running into a motorcycle policeman is known to be seriously injurious to your health.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
It helps but that's all. I always assume that cagers don't see me. I swerve slightly left and right when I see cars coming out to turn and always be ready to stop. Your attention and skill will be what saves your butt IMO.
The swerving technique you're referring to is called SMIDSY - "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" 
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU]
Here's a video about it. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived