The MT-07 Forum

GoPro/ action camera mounting locations

ducttapewd40

I'm thinking that in the spring I'm going to pick up a second GoPro to mount somewhere on the bike to make some more interesting videos.  I was out in the driveway this morning looking for places to mount it with a good angle and imagining how I'm going to mount it in those spots.

I'm thinking:
1) On the mirror post.  I have a solid black MRA double bubble windscreen I can't see through from a handlebar mount.
2) Frame just behind radiator, I'd like some shots with the front wheel in the frame.
3) Swingarm.  Could look good pointed forward or back.
4) Passenger pegs.  Similar shot to the swingarm but more stable.
5) On fork tube, beside headlight.  Pretty similar to handlebar/mirror post but lower angle and less clutter on bars.

If anyone has some more location ideas and/or has some pics of hardware setups post them here.  Some shots to show camera perspectives would be good too.

• 3 weeks later...
My main one is a GoPro session on the side of my helmet and the other one is a Hero plus LCD that's mounted on my Frame sliders.... Here's a quick video of what you see from it... https://vimeo.com/156446396
thats a good angle. Did you do add a wind noise reducer or external mic? the audio is nice.

• Premium Member

I just picked up a set of amazon for like 30 it comes with the chest mount and I like that view. But they have several kits with helmet mounts ect..

http://www.amazon.com/Zookki-Accessories-Accessory-Parachuting-Climbing/dp/B00ZEM9L22/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1456255443&sr=8-15&keywords=go+pro+kits

Also you can get ram mount for the go pro I have one that goes in the mirror hole right side.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

WINDSCREEN: You can mount on your actual windscreen. That's one of my locations, though it tends to get a bit of the vibration on the road. (I have a PUIG sport screen)
BEHIND INSTRUMENT CLUSTER: I've also have a mount behind the instrument cluster for video facing me. There's enough mounting room left of center if you have any GoPro other than the Sessions model. Makes the camera pointed dead center that way.
END OF THE TAIL: Good for video of being behind you or facing whatever is behind you.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

My main one is a GoPro session on the side of my helmet and the other one is a Hero plus LCD that's mounted on my Frame sliders.... Here's a quick video of what you see from it... https://vimeo.com/156446396
thats a good angle. Did you do add a wind noise reducer or external mic? the audio is nice.
No wind reducer or ext mic.  Just used the membrane cover so the wind noise is somewhat muted

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

I currently use a GoPro chin mount for full face helmets and I think it gives the best view if you want to pan around and it looks better than the side or top of the helmet mounts but I've been entertaining the thought of getting a flex clamp mount. I talked to a person that said her hubby uses one on their boat and it stays in place very well. A person could mount that sucker just about anywhere on a bike. I wouldn't try it on the nips, though.  :D

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Clamp-Mount-Adjustable-Camera/dp/B010053574/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456274070&sr=8-2&keywords=go+pro+flex+mount

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Face-Helmet-Mount-GoPro/dp/B00TSFJACM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456274343&sr=8-1&keywords=go+pro+chin+mount

Beemer

• 1 year later...
WINDSCREEN: You can mount on your actual windscreen. That's one of my locations, though it tends to get a bit of the vibration on the road. (I have a PUIG sport screen) BEHIND INSTRUMENT CLUSTER: I've also have a mount behind the instrument cluster for video facing me. There's enough mounting room left of center if you have any GoPro other than the Sessions model. Makes the camera pointed dead center that way.
END OF THE TAIL: Good for video of being behind you or facing whatever is behind you.

I was thinking about placing a mount in the rear of the bike to get a view of my body position when on the track. Could you post a pic of the exact location of the mount on your bike and a screenshot or video of the camera's view? It would be a great help. Thanks in advance!

• Premium Member
WINDSCREEN: You can mount on your actual windscreen. That's one of my locations, though it tends to get a bit of the vibration on the road. (I have a PUIG sport screen) BEHIND INSTRUMENT CLUSTER: I've also have a mount behind the instrument cluster for video facing me. There's enough mounting room left of center if you have any GoPro other than the Sessions model. Makes the camera pointed dead center that way.

I was thinking about placing a mount in the rear of the bike to get a view of my body position when on the track. Could you post a pic of the exact location of the mount on your bike and a screenshot or video of the camera's view? It would be a great help. Thanks in advance!

I actually don't have that one up myself. I've seen it done by others. I believe it's something you can test yourself.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I actually don't have that one up myself. I've seen it done by others. I believe it's something you can test yourself.
I thought you were talking from firsthand experience there, sorry. Yeah, I'll give it a try. It's always better if you can find someone who's been there first and knows what works best, you know?

Thanks for the reply anyway. 

ducttapewd40

This reminded me when the thread came back up to try some of these out and try to come up with some new ones. Thinking I'll make a day of it soon and throw together a quick video of the different views and a pic of each mount setup. I tried two today, one looking straight at the side of the muffler and swingarm and another at the front wheel from the side of the radiator. Was pretty happy with the outcome of each of them. I've definitely found I like the ones that show the suspension in action.

Exhaust.jpg

front_wheel_lean.jpg

upload your image from url

Here's a video of my Hero 5 Session mounted on my seat cowl facing forward. The footage is 1080p/60 fps with stabilization on. Even with stabilization, my seat cowl shakes so much the footage is a bit shaky. I'm planning on using some foam padding to prevent the cowl from shaking so much.  [video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDPmz7W_7w0]
This is the same location on the seat cowl, but facing behind me

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIvwhIg70dE]
And this one is clipped to my backpack strap. You can see my other mounting locations in this video. One is on my windscreen, which can be facing forward or at me. The second one is on the black plastic part on the tank facing forward.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYRdPVtrJBk]

Thank you so much @rxSpeeD, this is exactly what I was looking for. Since I don't have a rear seat cowl, I will be placing mine where the yellow circle is.
I shouldn't have a problem with the rear seat blocking too much of the view, right?

Untitled.png

online photo upload site

Thank you so much @rxspeed , this is exactly what I was looking for. Since I don't have a rear seat cowl, I will be placing mine where the yellow circle is. I shouldn't have a problem with the rear seat blocking too much of the view, right?

Untitled.png

online photo upload site

This is how i mounted it

mPHPbd3.jpg
I tried mounting the GoPro without the extensions and I thought the camera was too close.

• 1 year later...
heroicwolf

My rearview camera is a 3D printed mount for a Sena Prism Tube that tucks into the passenger seat strap: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2883490.

fz08.JPG.caeca4f7bad5eeb4d491179b5c205fe7.JPG   fz007.JPG.2ddbef1b012ba981567329de0f6c0500.JPG

Excellent view and gives a great way to diagnose your lean angles:

My front view camera is just a Contour ROAM2 adhered to my helmet (EXO-AT950).

Archived