Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
avanti

Wrapped up side-covers and foot-guards

Recommended Posts

avanti
So, here is the finished products.  I decided to start this thread to conclude my other one about these mods since I don't seem to be able (or know how) to change the "Subject" line to note it being updated, as is possible on other forums.
 
Overall, I like how it turned out... or, I'd modify the modifications, OF COURSE.
 
As stated, here tis...
 
p.s. I just noticed that silly rear brake reservoir; I HAVE to make a black aluminum cover to hide that next.  I think I've a piece of cylindrical aluminum stock about the right size somewhere.  ;-)
 
 
 
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
avanti
Upon further reflection... I may redesign the side covers. The foot-guards are still okay (imho) but not the covers. Fortunately, the are simple and easy to deal with; more experimentation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
username
Upon further reflection... I may redesign the side covers. The foot-guards are still okay (imho) but not the covers. Fortunately, the are simple and easy to deal with; more experimentation...
 
 
I totally agree with you on that. How long does it take you to fabricate these little wonders usually? Kick plate and side cover I'm speaking of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
avanti
username: I've no idea how long it takes to fab anything. I do a lot of different things on an ongoing basis, often interspersed among each other, as the inspiration and motivation move me. I never time anything from start to finish, never had a need to; it's all just self-entertainment. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Simbadc650
Looking forward to progress updates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
avanti
I had to order more aluminum today... all my local sources have dried up or gone out of business. It doesn't matter how much stock I have on hand, I often want something else--such is the case with the light-weight covers. So, it will be a while awaiting delivery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
avanti
Just some suggestions if you wish to use Rust-oleum bed-liner for something, as I decided to spray on these foot-guards: believe the instructions and spray at 18"-24" from the surface. Also, don't spray over week-old Rust-oleum enamel... unless you like a nice random crazed effect--probably neat for something but not foot-guards, imho! Oh, yeah, the bed-liner can be sprayed over Rust-oleum primer after 15 to 20 minutes perfectly fine.
 
Also, I learned that lacquer thinner takes the stuff off (to start over) if you don't have xylol. Mineral spirits which is recommended IF still wet only produces a gummy MESS if the coating is on for five to ten minutes. Other than those points finish seems to go on well and we'll see how it stands up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
avanti
Some more notes on application of the bed-liner... 
 
I put on four coats, the last couple pretty heavy and the very last "wet."  I sprayed the foot-guards horizontally laying them on several cheap sockets, bought just for such "non-wrench" purposes, as pedestals.  On the very last coat on the second guard I found that I had some very small air bubbles in a place about two inches long.  They were about pin-head size but very noticeable.  Not having experienced this before I didn't know if they would flow out but I didn't expect it. 
 
Hence, after a quick appraisal and the thought of trying to sand this stuff and do another finish coat I decided to try something else.  What I did was to lift the piece about an inch or two in the air above the socket/"pedestals" and drop it back onto them.  Doing so a couple times popped the bubbles from the shock and they flowed out fine.
 
I decided I liked the flat black so I changes the mounts on the right cover necessitating reshaping the back to clear the brake hose and repainted it.  Not yet ideal but quite minimalistic and good for now.  All is back together awaiting aluminum stock for the left cover.
 
 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ninjaiceberg
You can also copy vagabond and move the rear brake res.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
avanti
Ninjaiceberg, you're on track; but what I'm going to do is to make a black aluminum cover for the reservoir and leave it where it is. If my granddaughter didn't ride with me once in a while I'd remove the rear pegs, make a new res. bracket, etc.
 
The new res. cover will attach at the one mounting bolt that holds the res in place, wrap around and behind it, tucking in snuggly between the top and bottom parallel pieces on the inside of the res.
 
(Update:  m/c reservoir cover completed and installed--see separate thread.)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
avanti
All covers installed.  I've some black anodized rear foot-pegs on order.
 
BEAUTIFUL day; I went for a ride... and, nothing fell off!!! 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.