The MT-07 Forum

San Diego Mechanic?

holidayjohn

Anyone know a good motorcycle mechanic in the San Diego area?  Haven't been able to find much beside Dealers and my first service is coming up soon.  

Thanks 

• Premium Member

You'd be best off getting your 1st service done at an authorized Yamaha dealership, especially if it's under warranty, but even still.

J's Speed Shop. Find him on facebook, he will take care of you. A great mechanic, and very reasonable prices. I generally do my own maintenance, but anything that is too labor intensive, I have him do. He just did my valve check.

Having a dealer do the service sound good in theory, but I would never trust my bike to a multi-line dealership.  Better to go to a good indy that takes pride in his work.  

• Global Moderator

I had my first service done at a local shop. As long as you have receipts to show it was done you will not have problems with warrantee support. The mechanic was actually impressed with the setup the dealer did (he said he did not find any loose screws or other problems) but from what I have read here many dealerships are not very good when it comes to service.

Isn't the first service on a bike always just, like, an oil change and making sure your bolts are tight? Why not just do it yourself and save yourself the money.

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Global Moderator

I would have done mine myself, but I wanted an expert to give it a a once-over to make sure everything was in order. If you do it yourself just keep the receipts. There is not a lot to do for the 600 mile service.

• Premium Member

Biggest thing for me on the first service was the throttle body sync. I wasn't comfortable doing that, but if you are then the rest of the service should be a cinch.

Good lord, checked NCY Motorsports for the 8,000 mi service, $240. Not doing that. I usually go there for parts, gonna do some of the services myself then may take it to someone who knows what they're doing to give it a once over. Is $240 a normal price around here?

There's a lot to the 8k service. Doing the spark plugs is a PIA...I'll be surprised if you get any prices below 200.

Happy Hunting.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Spark plugs that hard? I've installed an ECU tuner and had to pull the tank off to get to the ignition plugs, figured I'd do the same to take the spark plugs out.

Spark plugs that hard? I've installed an ECU tuner and had to pull the tank off to get to the ignition plugs, figured I'd do the same to take the spark plugs out.
I've done them. It's not impossible, just a pain. Even with the tank off, space is very tight. If you're determined, you'll get it done....but, I understand the high price to do it.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in SD, I took my bikes to C&D Cycle Center in Kearny Mesa. Great shop, would recommend. They do get busy though, so call to schedule an appointment.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

THeres a shop in Poway that I am gonna use to upgrade my suspension. I went in there one time to check em out and they put my bike up on the rack, showed me a bunch of stuff, adjusted my chain etc, and wouldn't even let me pay since I told em I was gonna have some susp stuff done (which I am almost ready to do). I believe it is called Poway Motorcycle. The owner is an ex racer, and the mechanic is gifted. Both of em ride alot and close the shop for events, which to me adds to the curriculumn Vitae

Databyter

Archived