The MT-07 Forum

Official - Matris F15K, KD/KF shock combo discount

pattonme

Price for the fork cartridge kit (add 3% Paypal fee, $20 shipping)

$500 as-is unmodified
$585 fixed and customized
$700 fixed, installed in your forks with new bushings and seals (+10 shipping)

I've reached out to PJ's to see if they'd be willing to do a forum discount across the FZ07, FZ09, and R3. Right now their prices are $100 more than if you buy from overseas (before shipping) which is a pretty severe disadvantage IMO. A 10% discount would cut that in half.  
What would it take price-wise to interest you in a domestic purchase? Or to prefer it over the competition? All prices are as currently advertised. The percentage in the 'EU' columns denotes the difference between PJ and a well known Italian outfit. PJ's is basically selling the kit at 3% off MSRP (assuming the US and EU have the same MSRP in respective currency).

'Fixed' is how much I charge to fix/update the internals for best performance. Bolded pricing only available by ordering thru Forks-by-Matt. It's an arrangement between PJ and myself.

* theoretical "kit" price
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Im interested but have a hard time seeing the money/numbers in the current form. This was probably copied over from excel but would it be possible to break this down showing normal cost and new proposed forum sale cost? Example:

Forks-by-Matt (Fork Cartridge): 470 [normally xxx]
Andreani (FbM): 560 (+105 fixed) [normally xxx]
Matris (PJ): 578 (+110 fixed) [normally xxx]
Matris (EU): 475 (17%) [normally xxx]

Much respect for always helping us on the forum out!

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

There, I had to hand-edit the BBCode to wrap each cell in lines and it will also show up in any color scheme that isn't medium gray.
All prices are current advertised prices.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

@pattonme , I am interested in the Matris F15K kit and one of the Jri or Matris rear shocks. Still doing my research to determine what I want to do, but wanted to see what your recommendation for spring rate is for the Matris F15K fork kit and new rear shock? I weigh 205 lbs without gear and 220 lbs with gear. My riding is limited to the street and no plans for taking it to the track. I live in Pennsylvania, so the roads are not the best after winter. Thanks for your help.

0.9kg/mm on the fork springs. Shock I think would be a 625lb/in but maybe I've got that confused with the FZ09. You'll want the next step up from their 'baseline' which is targetted at 150-175lb riders as a general rule.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I am also looking into what I want to do and what options are out there. I see that the European pricing is very aggressive though

https://www.omniaracing.net/en/andreani-kit-advanced-cartridge-shock-absorber-ohlins-for-yamaha-2014-p-20144.html

That is just under $900 for both front and rear

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

Shipping from Italy is ~80. It's aggressive since Omnia is in blatent violation of their reseller agreement. In this day and age of the Internet, price arbitrage shouldn't exist but it does. If you buy from Italy your Ohlins service center is fully within their rights to refuse to service you.

I think my prices are well within reason. http://fz07.org/thread/4282/holiday-fork-pick-shock-special
Don't think of it as supporting me but rather, not taking food off the table of the official USA importer of the product line.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Is a group-buy something that can be arranged? They happen all the time on car forums (like audizine, etc.) where the price is tiered based on how many people sign up. The more that sign up, the lower it gets for everyone.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

A group-buy would be run by me (I expect) and we'd need likely 5+ to make it worthy of a price break. Last I left it with PJ he was going to revisit his pricing and see if he couldn't get more competitive. The website hasn't been updated so I guess he hasn't gotten around to it. But I think if I approach him with 5 firm orders he should be able to take a chunk out the current prices.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

According to PJ's website, Paige is only involved with the business now. When I was checking out PJ's website, they use a rider's weight with gear to determine the spring rate for the fork kit and rear shock. So i asked a question via the website, what spring rate I would get based on my weight with gear, since that is the weight PJ's request on their website. Paige got back to me and stated, "Matris does not supply her with the spring rates they use, but she provides them with the rider weight with gear and Matris provides the correct springs for the forks and shock".  My concern is I might get a spring rate that is too stiff, if Matris assumes racing use. I would rather know what spring rate they are going to use ahead of time before I order.  

I haven't seen/heard anyone complaining about the spring-rate selection except if buying from Traxxion. I'm a Sonic dealer so if the spring rate is 'wrong' I can probably find a spring of the right length or push come to shove can cut the little groove in the tube to move the lower spring seat to compensate.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

It's now official.

I just have to order at least 5 kits in a batch. I'll be x-posting to FZ09/FJ09 and R3 forums so the quantity doesn't all have to come from 07 owners.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I'm interested in being a part of the group buy, but I am confused about the base price vs the tuned price. Sorry if this is a foolish question, I'm new to suspension mods. I'm also wondering if the install is terribly difficult. I'm pretty mechanically adept, but I lack suspension-specific tools.

There are a couple of long threads on the Matris solution and it's problems right out of the box, in particular the Comp leg. It also doesn't have the spring grooves in the right place so you end up with 20mm of internal preload in the system which is rather excessive - but I need to verify that again.

Ask the denizens here who have tried it stock. ;)

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

it can be either. Let me get updated pricing on the shock but it should be the same approx adjustment.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I will be buying some FZ09 and FZ07 and a R3 kits and so forth to get quantity = 5. If anyone was inclined to go Matris now is the time to pipe up so I can alter the product mix. Fork or shock, doesn't matter. Don't have to pay now (an earnest deposit appreciated) if you were waiting for a tax refund or some other source of funding.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

There is no -KF shock offering for the FZ07. Owners are "too cheap" for a viable market apparently.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 1 month later...
travisaurusrex

The 1-way shocks all seem to have a pretty comparable price point. How would you recommend we choose between them? Are there pluses and minuses to each?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have been riding with the Matris F15K and KD combo with Matt's adjustments for a good while now (a few thousand miles and a Chuckwalla track day). I have to say that this has definitely been my favorite mod so far. It is sooo much more controllable now. Before i didnt realize how much the soft stock suspension (150 lb rider without gear) was making the road difficult to feel/read by upsetting the weight over any slight bumps. It is so much better that i felt i needed to write this long term review.

If you are on the fence about this set-up, do yourself a favor and pull the trigger. This suspension will make your bike feel a million times better in the twisties; and with some Dunlop Q3s its practically a new bike!

Thanks again Matt!

PS: I got the 0.9 fork springs. Had to back out the preload all the way and was still 1 mm away from perfect sag. Not enough to bother me, but something to consider when giving your weight with gear (I was overly conservative and said 180 lbs and set up for aggressive street riding). Suspension was set up by Metric Method.

Archived