The MT-07 Forum

no oil in oil sight glass

mardi72

so I picked up my new fz-07 from dealership last saturday. they knew I was going to ride it home and had 4 days to prep it. I gave things a quick checkover but trusted they put fluids in it. I put just over 100 miles on it that weekend.

today I let bike warm up while I put my gear on, when I sat on it ready to roll I felt a lot of heat, seemed an abnormal amount (it had been idling approx 15 minutes or so).

a quick check on the dash I saw a temp of 207F, then the radiator fan kicked on high and bike shut off. I did not try to restart it.

after letting the bike sit level 10 minutes I see NO oil in the sight glass. after letting the bike sit 20 minutes, 30 minutes I see NO oil in the sight glass, the silver metal piece at the back of the sight check is honey colored.

after sitting 30 minutes I see NO coolant in the reserve. (wish I could post pics)

I got no dummy lights on the dash, however I'm feeling extremely dumb at the moment. I called my sales guy and sent him pictures that he said he would forward to the service manager.

the bike wouldn't have gone 100 miles with no oil or coolant present from day 1 correct?

• Global Moderator

Wow, that is not good. Hopefully the oil is just a little bit below the sight glass. I do not know where the coolant could have gone. I have never let my bike idle for fifteen minutes but have seen as much as 219° while at a red light in the summer. Hopefully the bike shutting down saved you from any damage. Please keep us updated.

• Premium Member

You'll see the most coolant when the bike is cold, but yeah -- that doesn't sound good. Good luck to you!

• Premium Member

Document everything take pictures and call a lawyer. The damage is already done at this point so new motor or new bike IMO. Record the conversations with the dealer and let them know it. I've been threw this crap before.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

whats worse than a noob? a noob with a new bike. took a flashlight and from the other side of the bike could see coolant in the reservoir. it's just really hard to see, that plastic isn't very transparent.

went for a ride, pulled over with the bike running and can see oil through the glass. got home and checked, still can't see oil through the glass once bike has been turned off. so I guess it's just low?

wow I'm having a 'special' day

If you can find your owner's manual, it shows how to check the oil through the window better than I can. With the bike vertical and engine off, the oil level through the window should be between the two sets of horizontal lines on either side of the window (the bottom set is the lower limit, the top is the upper limit).

If you can't see any oil through the window with it level and the engine off, put some oil in before you start it again.

thanks, I read the manual and it's the same as checking the oil level on my cbr250. I'll be doing an oil change soon and can start fresh. I'll admit I kinda freaked out but it looks like all is well.

• Global Moderator

Fifteen minutes is a long time to run a bike at idle. I suspect it got hot and shut down before if overheated. Top off the oil and I think you are good to go. Glad to hear it was not out of coolant. That would have been bad.

The 07 as a auto shut off were if it is left on idle for 20 min it will shut down
could you have left it that long?

Not point in running it to long at idle start the thing and by the time you have
got your gloves on it will be fine to go 30 sec's is long enough then don't rev the
head off it for the first mile or two.

If the oil pressure light on the dash did not come on you will be ok but you need
to get the oil level between the marks with the bike vertical, on it's stand it
will be over the window this is with engine off it drops with it running, and some
new oil is so clear it can be hard to see the level like the coolant especially if
the sight glass is full.

thanks, I read the manual and it's the same as checking the oil level on my cbr250. I'll be doing an oil change soon and can start fresh. I'll admit I kinda freaked out but it looks like all is well.

Are you sure it's not overfilled? It's pretty common for these bikes to be filled past the sigth glass from the factory and with very low Millage the oil will still be a nice clear gold color.

bmwpowere36m3

I'm betting, neither are an issue... oil level is probably above the sight glass and he's looking at it with the bike on the side stand (vs. straight up). Coolant should be visible in the reservoir, slight blue thru the opaque tank. Otherwise open the radiator cap and see if there's fluid (make sure engine/coolant are "cool").

Also DON'T be idling the bike that long... ESPECIALLY when its new. Start the bike up, wait a few seconds and go....

thanks for all the replys. the auto shut-off feature was something I didn't know about. I had no intention of idling the bike that long, and never will again I just got caught up in a chore between starting the bike and gearing up.

I had the bike with a 2x4 under the side stand, that's about as level as you can get it. I can't imagine the oil being invisible, even new oil has a honey color that in my mind should be easy to see, but that's why I'm glad I posted this here to get feedback from people who know more. I kinda figured maybe the dealership only put in 2.4 quarts instead of the 2.75 required with a new filter.

the dealership had the coolant overfilled in the reserve, that's why I couldn't see a fill line looking through the reserve's sight, it was past the top of the window. once I went to the other side of the bike and rocked it a bit I could see the coolant sloshing at the top (yes it was blue, and it was still very difficult to see compared to my Honda), even with a flashlight. To be honest I was in full 'freak-out' mode not seeing oil, then not seeing coolant, I thought my new baby was damaged. I sure wasn't thinking clearly.

chalk it up to a learning experience, a VERY humbling learning experience. and I've got to stop reading dealership horror stories on Internet forums :P

Document everything take pictures and call a lawyer. The damage is already done at this point so new motor or new bike IMO. Record the conversations with the dealer and let them know it. I've been threw this crap before.
Yes, documentation = proof. Before taking it back to the dealer you might want to take it to a reputable place and have it looked at for any leaks and find out exactly what caused it and 'document' it just in case your dealer tries to weasel out of their responsibilities. After that many miles and possibly the cost of a new engine on their minds they may try that. You never know so cover all your bases. Also, if it goes to court a judge will always want to know if you gave the dealer a chance to remedy the problem before you took them to court or took it somewhere else to have it fixed. So be friendly, give them their chance and if they weasel out go see a lawyer with ammo (documentation) in pocket. Good luck!

Beemer

when my bike is turned off i can see how much oil i have but when i turn the bike on, it doesn't show. what gives?

When your bike is running the oil pump is sucking up your oil and filling all he passageways and coating everything so you won't have the same level. You check the level with the bike upright and turned off.

Archived