The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 pre-purchase questions about stalling

i28

• Premium Member

Considering getting a 2015 since it'll save me a few hundred dollars over the 2016 and I think the colors look better.
I have heard that one of the few issues with the FZ-07's are that they stall. I believe this was happening with the 2015's. It seems that there  are various guesses as to what causes this but no real solution.

Is this either something that either:
1. Yamaha fixed?
2. that goes away after the engine is broken in?
or
3. that will definitely go away if i change the exhaust and flash the ECU?

Lastly, do the 2016's have this issue?

Never heard of it stalling randomly or systematically. I've only stalled twice in my ownership, and that was in traffic after being suddenly letting the clutch go.

Only FZ07 semi common issue I can think of off the top of my head is a suspension issue, greatly talked about here http://fz07.org/thread/2223/wrong-bushings-installed-factory-ensues

Havent had any stalling issues with mine. A year ago when I first started riding I forgot to shift down at a light (lol) and started off in third gear. The bike has good torque though so I was able to do it without stalling.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

well, there are bunches of us who've had stalling issues. I've never owned a car w/o a clutch and have been riding for some 4+ decades. So, when mine coughed and stalled on occasion w/o touching the clutch - it wasn't me.

You've read about this issue on more than one forum and that's why yer asking - it's happened to a lot of folk. Yamaha will say nothing is wrong. They said that about the original FZ09 map which every road test complained about. only to change the map for the FJ version and make that map available to FZ9 owners. Yamaha might just do the same when the FJ7 comes about.

That said, mine did not stall all this past summer. If you were to have it remapped, it would likely never stall. The closed loop FI air to fuel ratio is crazy lean and that causes touchy off-idle throttle response always. Seems that when they do stall, it's just as the throttle is cracked open a hair - from lean to leaner until the fuel catches up. A remap will fix that

It also seems that maybe the stalling issues go away with time. Can speculate all you want as to why that would be - better run-in motors, O2 sensor not as tart as new - whatever. That thread has quieted down quite a bit, so it would seem so.

Don't let this stop you from buying this bike. The Fi isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn good - and fixable if you can''t live with it as is.

• Premium Member

thanks Rick.
my only issue is that this would be my starter bike so that is one of the last things that I would want to happen to me.
It seems like that was a problem for people who had the 2015's and I notice the forums posts that mention this go from November 2014 up until the late 2015's. I don't think people who had 2016's complained much so maybe I could just go with the 2016 and avoid this problem.

I believe the stalling issue you are referring to was about a possible fuel cut issue. I personally haven't had the bike stall on me but I have noticed a slight studder maybe 3 times in the year that I've had it. Twice when I blipped the throttle when stopped and once while taking off. It feels like the motor skipped a beat but it's not enough to stall out or anything.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I purchased my new FZ-07 last year in February and the bike was built in August 2014.  I had the bike stall on me three times, the first 2 months of ownership, due to operator error.  My bike runs fine for me, however I do plan on upgrading the front forks and rear shock.

Between 2 forums, there are probably 100 pages of this stalling issue. When it happens, it's just as the throttle is cracked open a hair. The FI in closed loop runs super lean. Combine this with a relatively low idle RPM and there were some stalling issues. Add in some clutch just as the motor does that hiccup and it definitely will stall.

Not all did this. The dealers are likely aware but are powerless to change it. It's possible that Yamaha has quietly raised the idle speed up a hair on the 2016s - a whopping 50 RPM increase would probably do it.

Don't let this stop you from buying this fun bike, whether 2015 or 16.

• Premium Member

When I was using the lowest grade of fuel (gasoline) " just to save money ", my bike stalled a few times on me, and then I went to a higher fuel grade (better gasoline grade), and I haven't stalled my bike since then, I don't know if the lower gasoline grade contributed to the stalling problem or not

When I was using the lowest grade of fuel (gasoline) " just to save money ", my bike stalled a few times on me, and then I went to a higher fuel grade (better gasoline grade), and I haven't stalled my bike since then, I don't know if the lower gasoline grade contributed to the stalling problem or not

Do you mean higher octane? Because literally all gasoline is exactly the same no matter where you get it from, they even share distribution centers. The only difference is cleaning agents that the major brands use.

Do you mean higher octane? Because literally all gasoline is exactly the same no matter where you get it from, they even share distribution centers. The only difference is cleaning agents that the major brands use.
I'd guess he does mean a switch to higher octane. though the "higher tier" gasolines are suppose to burn cleaner. Sunoco is good enough for NASCAR but has never paid to be on that list. So who knows what any of that advertising means. 
But I'm gonna respectfully disagree about it all being the same. Maybe the gasoline that leaves the refinery is all the same. But by the time the distributor gets done splashing some  ( E10s wind up not all being 10 % ethanol - don't believe me - it's an easy read to find) amount of ethanol, even from one tanker to the next it can vary. . 

The manual only calls for 87 octane, so that's all I've used. Might just try 89 for grins - especially if it's smoking hot out.. 

I'd guess he does mean a switch to higher octane. though the "higher tier" gasolines are suppose to burn cleaner. Sunoco is good enough for NASCAR but has never paid to be on that list. So who knows what any of that advertising means. 
But I'm gonna respectfully disagree about it all being the same. Maybe the gasoline that leaves the refinery is all the same. But by the time the distributor gets done splashing some  ( E10s wind up not all being 10 % ethanol - don't believe me - it's an easy read to find) amount of ethanol, even from one tanker to the next it can vary. . 

The manual only calls for 87 octane, so that's all I've used. Might just try 89 for grins - especially if it's smoking hot out.. 

I work at large oil refinery and the actual "formula" for gas is strictly regulated by the state- all refining has to abide by those guidelines. Composition will vary based on elevation and season but that's all included in those guidelines. If a companies plant goes down and they are short gasoline they actually buy it from the other companies. Octane levels are minimums so it can vary from batch to batch, The "cleaner" gas just has better cleaning agents that slightly affects smog readings and will clean your valves a little better which won't make a difference on a new bike. I put arco gas in everything because even with my discount arco is still cheaper lol

I stalled it a few times when I first got it. Totally my fault. It happened when I was taking off from a stop. If possible have your wheel straight because the bike will want to tip over (if it stalls) if you don't. I was preparing to take a left turn at a stop sign. I didn't drop it but almost. For the next few days I just angled the bike when I'd have to turn after a stop. Then I got used to it and stopped angling it. I went on to enjoy 11,000 miles in 7 months. It's a great bike. I too prefer the 15 model colors over the 16.

• Premium Member

good to know that everything on the bike is either a cheap fix (the bushing issue for example), or either goes away or can be tuned (the fuel issue- if it even comes up)
thanks for the informative replies everyone. Definitely learning a whole bunch from this forum.
only thing stopping me from heading to the dealer is getting some gear first and the time to do that.

From my experience telling the dealer it stalls does not work, telling them it surges at low speed and
they get the computer out and richen it up a little at the bottom end and that fixed mine.

I bought mine in Feb. of 15" and it has stalled on me from stops as Rick described, no less than 6 times. (IMO, listen to Rick) I don't believe it has anything to do with what gas you use because if it were due to the grade of gas mine would stall consistently from using the same gas (87 octane) all the time. Ever since I changed how I give it gas and release the clutch from a stop the number and frequency of times it has stalled have progressively become fewer and fewer as I become more consistent with a certain take-off style.

I'm at the point where I don't have to think about it now, it just comes natural after much practice and my bike hasn't stalled in quite awhile. An ECU flash can get rid of the stumble altogether so for piece of mind I still may go that route. If you were planning on doing upgrades for a new bike that would be a great upgrade regardless of the problem so I recommend to just get the bike and do the ECU flash right away. Your bike will behave much smoother with it. it's well worth the price.

Word of mention: I met an FZ-07 owner in Brandon, Fl. just yesterday while cruising around. He's on this forum, Yamaharider95, and I noticed twice after coming to a stop at lights that his bike died on him while we were talking. I wondered what that was about so maybe he can shed a little light on that. 

Beemer

There are a huge number of posts on the stalling issue. The MT09 had the same problem. Not all bikes are affected. There is a very good video somewhere that shows the problem and it isn't as simple as it sounds.
The video shows the bike at a set of traffic lights, idleing. The lights go green but the bike revs a bit then dies. It doesen't just die/stall. Most have been fixed, I believe, with a dealer flash. MNine has never done it but I have an ECUWest reflash.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I've stalled in twice in 5000 miles while upshifting in traffic. Totally not my fault. Actually whenever this has happened I usually have the clutch pulled in and the rpms and dropping from me having let go of the gas. Still as people say: its still a freaking awesome bike

When I got my last Mustang dyno tuned, my car was reading lower numbers than expected. The first thing the tuner asked me was, "You don't fill up at Shell, do you?

I've stayed away from them ever since.

Relevant to the thread, my bike has never stalled outside of it being my fault.

I wouldn't let the stalling issue keep you from buying this bike.
   I test rode a 2015 that was built in late 2014, it stalled twice on my test ride. It stalled once as I was waiting to pull out of the dealership, clutch pulled in at idle. The second time it happened while I was cruising down a straight road, it just cut out. It wasn't enough to sour my very enjoyable ride, I bought a 2016 model and have not regretted it once. My bike has not stalled and it will pull away from a stop in first gear without touching the throttle. If there was a problem I think it was with the early production bikes and as others have stated it is curable.
  Best of luck with your purchase, they are great little bikes. I just ended a string of liter bike purchases that spanned decades, my FZ07 has made riding new again.

• Premium Member

I have my FZ-07 '15 for over a year and the bike never stalled, neither in the mountains - above 4000 feet - nor at the ocean. No problems in cold weather (35 degrees) or at (90 degrees) in the summer. I think most people who stall the bike can't ride it... :D;)

Love to ride!

If it's going to do it it will be when it's hot usually after
a short stop were the engine heat as had time to build up
under the tank round the temp sensor, or after some time
in slow traffic, switch to outside temp and watch what
happens at a stop mine jumped from 8c to 13 at some lights
the other cold day does not sound a lot but it about 70%
and the ecu will weaken a already weak mix even further
and is why I am going to try to reposition the sensor
in a cooler place. Good theory? any way as soon as it
warms up I will try it and see if it helps and report back.

Archived