The MT-07 Forum

Motodynamics taillight and blinkers?

churchxd

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

Nice! Im still tempted to do this one too. Care to show us the wiring job on the backend?

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Nice! Im still tempted to do this one too. Care to show us the wiring job on the backend?
fd434ac783c3b0d8fed5f6ccf4659af8.jpg
I ran out of red, purple is my substitute

Aren't you going to burn up those first lights on each leg? Shouldn't they all be in parallel? Forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm in mechanical engineering not electrical. I'm guessing those leds are rated at 3v or so, supplying them with 12v won't make them last very long.

• Premium Member

Great! Thanks for taking the time to post this.  Nice clean job too.

Im a bit of a noob with this DIY lighting; what style/version of led did you use?

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
Aren't you going to burn up those first lights on each leg? Shouldn't they all be in parallel? Forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm in mechanical engineering not electrical. I'm guessing those leds are rated at 3v or so, supplying them with 12v won't make them last very long.
 Damn...got to make it difficult for me now? ;) This stuff is all "french" to me. Regardless, thanks for the insight. Looks like I have some homework to do. 

Ok I talked to one of the engineers at work that knows electrical better than anyone else here. You should be fine with that set up assuming those have a forward voltage drop less than 3V. That will be v_f on their data sheets. Most LEDs are 2-2.5V so I'm thinking no worries.

• Global Moderator

Has any one hooked up a motto dynamics tail light and blinkers? I just made these and I wanna hook em up. cd14d33aa5605fba51ae3ff0e98dc180.jpg

I have mine setup with the motodynamics taillamp
made a splitter harness and used stock connectors for my set
i think motodynamic sells the harness too if im not mistaken
made install really easy
im going to make another set to clean up wiring and all that... first go around i didnt know much about electrical and it looked like shit

@alexm963 those are in parallel

the anode where he has his 'red' wire connected is just a bridge to the next
The ground being at the othwr end is what will take the brunt of the current flow, im assuming thats a 65 ohm resistor under that heatshrink?

He has them wired just fine

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

My leds have a fv of 2.5 and a 70mA rating. So if I did my calculations correctly I have 4 leds in a series (12v-10v)/.07=28.5ohm. And 3 sets of that in parallel so 28.5X3=85.5 ohm resistor to make my leds happy? Haha I'm a nub at this so call me out if I'm wrong

• Global Moderator

Running voltage can be anywhere from 12.8v to 14v depending on rpm
2.5V@ 70mA? What leds are you running?
Set of whites for drls i got were 2.5@28
And the ambers for my signals were 3.5@60
Those have gotta be some bright leds

Running voltage can be anywhere from 12.8v to 14v depending on rpm 2.5V@ 70mA? What leds are you running?
Set of whites for drls i got were 2.5@28
And the ambers for my signals were 3.5@60
Those have gotta be some bright leds

They are cree idk ha?

• Global Moderator

Bi-color?
Reverse current flow and you will have brake lamps

Well, I don't have a motodynamnics, but I did do these turn signals a la wickedtwisters design and I just use it with the original brake light. I had someone follow me to make sure it was visible and it works great. Originally, I had the LED's evenly spaced as above but I then moved the LED's medially so they would be more visible. As they move more medially, they are rotated done on the curvature and shine more out, instead of down.

I had moto dynamics on another bike and found it to be much less safe and less visible. The difference between the running light and brake light is very small and can lead to people not recognizing your braking during the day. Just my 2C :)

And did you just drill a hole then hot glue the led in place?
I measured them out, and used a 4mm drill bit. Highly recommend center poping for the drill. I used a drop of super glue just to hold them in place while I wired them. And then I hot glued. I think the whole thing cost me 25 bucks

I never thought of running LEDs in that rear location. I think it's a great idea.

I wanted to just remove my blinkers and not run any but this is sleek way of hiding it. Have you thought of a way to run the fronts?

It actually started by another member just making it my own style. Um I think I'm going to do a flush mount r1 blinker tell I think of some something

I never thought of running LEDs in that rear location. I think it's a great idea.  
I wanted to just remove my blinkers and not run any but this is sleek way of hiding it. Have you thought of a way to run the fronts?
9317ca4b304d79a5acc2e13076ca7b87.jpg

Archived