The MT-07 Forum

Yoshi Tail Tidy

jackimpact

I cannot get that under panel that goes under rear seat to go back into place. The clips dont seem broken, they just wont stay. Any suggestions? I can get photos if needed. 

AlbatrossCafe

Which under panel? You mean the black plastic covers? You have to make sure you put all of the under panels on before any of the side covers. Can you post a pic of what you are having trouble with? I have had to take those on and off at least 3 times

• Global Moderator
I cannot get that under panel that goes under rear seat to go back into place. The clips dont seem broken, they just wont stay. Any suggestions? I can get photos if needed. 

If its the piece im thinking of
You will need to get smaller clips
the rear splash fender sits on the same clips
'Christmas tree' trim clips work quite well
available at most automotive and hardware stores

If not.. then pics will help greatly

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

AlbatrossCafe

So I am assuming you put the fasteners in correctly, and then once you stop supporting the weight they fall out? Mine did that too. The problem is those plastic fasteners are really only reliable for one use, and after that they are 50/50. I put a small piece of electrical tape over mine after I pushed them in - you can't see them and 2500 miles later (large majority of it in rain) the tape is still on. But the "real" solution would just be to get new fasteners like @sorkyah mentioned. You can never have enough of those...

So I am assuming you put the fasteners in correctly, and then once you stop supporting the weight they fall out? Mine did that too. The problem is those plastic fasteners are really only reliable for one use, and after that they are 50/50. I put a small piece of electrical tape over mine after I pushed them in - you can't see them and 2500 miles later (large majority of it in rain) the tape is still on. But the "real" solution would just be to get new fasteners like @sorkyah mentioned. You can never have enough of those...
So wrap them in some tape and pop em back in and see how it goes? If not do they sell kits like that at home depot? 

AlbatrossCafe

Oh wait - looking at the pics - are you trying to put your rear-side panels under the bottom panels? The bottom panels should definitely be covered by the rear-side ones. the fastener will go through the rear-side panel first, and then through the bottom panel. I think you have it reversed.

Once I was able to get all the covers set properly, I would push in one of the plastic fasteners and put electrical tape over it like this (view from back left of bike, sorry no light):
http://i.imgur.com/sQY3czD.jpg

Ok so I need to take them out, take the panel off, get the bottom panel under the side panels and then put the plugs in?

AlbatrossCafe

Yes exactly. Remove side panels, place bottom panel on, then put on side panels over it, then affix the plastic fasteners.

Here is maybe a better pic. You can see I have the 2 middle fasteners taped, and the 2 forward fasteners worked without tape, and the back-center one is taped. You can see the side panels over the bottom ones on here. And just to reiterate, the tape is only cus I was too lazy to spend 45 minutes + $5 to get new fasteners at the store 8-)
http://i.imgur.com/xHAHRVm.jpg

pics when you get it back together of course :)
Got it in under the side panels. Doesnt seem to sit close enough together to use the plug things and its really in there well.  
Photos added to original album for opinions. 

AlbatrossCafe

Not sure which pics you added, but in this picture here, you have it reversed:

http://i.imgur.com/dlftFiM.jpg

Maybe my terminology wasn't clear. Instead of "under" and 'over', let me say that the side panel should be on the OUTSIDE and the bottom panel should be INSIDE of the side panel. I hope this pic clears it up, it is from a similar angle:

http://i.imgur.com/JE7p8BW.jpg

I didn't have any issue getting these to fit once I figured out how to layer them properly, so once you have it correct it should be obvious.

AlbatrossCafe

Ah I see... that is a little weird. Mine were flush against the bottom panel pretty much.

There are two metal spacers topside between the rear side panel and where they mount to the bike. I just took off the rear seat and could see them. That distance looks to be about the width of those spacers. Did you put those back in before installing the side panels?

I think mine were plastic. Were they like 1/4 to 1/2 inch think and went between the bolt and the bike?

I went to double check, they are there and they are metal. I pushed down on the panel from the seat and its really well and in there. Maybe I will get those longer christmas tree looking plugs and use those to make up for the gap, I doubt its coming out but that way the holes are covered and adds some extra retention.

Thanks Alba! I may make a video in better light if that would help. I mean it feels really secure and its in there evenly so I dont know! Maybe if I took the side panels off and did it the technically correct way it would sit just right, but seems ok.

Archived