The MT-07 Forum

New simple comms systems and decent helmet drivers...

Mr.Puss

• Premium Member

For those looking for a simple comms solution, no camera, no extra unwanted crap, and apparently you wont need to learn a manuals worth of distracting morse code style button presses to use it. Details are slim at this point, but I'll keep a close eye out for release date and reviews.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/2016-interphone-intercoms/preview.htm

For those like myself who are picky about decent sound (if there is such a thing whilst rambling about upon ones vociferous 2 wheeled motor transport) Interphone released these a couple years ago to some strong reviews so hopefully these will come updated/standard/universal.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/interphone-pro-sound-review/

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I definitely couldn't work those buttons with gloves on. Too many function for me as well. Intercom and phone enough. FM useless when travelling as you just keep going in and out of range of radio stations and adjusting all the time. Hard enough in a car .
I like Sena's operation but in Australia the support is rubbish. Just just don't care. I have 2 double sets and only 2 units of the 4 work. One has a broken pin ( they can't and won't fix it), one the battery leaked over the board and stuffed it after only a few months ( they denied responsibility) and the other 2 I had to replace the batteries but the distributor doesn't stock the propriety battery and doesn't know where to get them. One woman took it on here self to source the batteries and you have to buy from her ( she is very reasonable) so we have batteries.
As you can see I don't endorse Senas. In fact I say steer clear.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

@gregjet Perhaps I misinterpreted your post.  I could be wrong but I would guess that one only needs to push the large area with the writing/symbols ? I dunno, maybe this thing is tiny.

Dont really care about FM and phonecalls even less so, but when my wife rides I want to make her a feel bit more comfortable out there knowing she can 'nag' at me for whatever reason, and of course some music might be nice when Im out of heavier traffic. ;)

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Sally and I use the remaining working Senas and have then powered from the bikes. Use them almost every ride.  They work well up to about 500m line of sight. Long trips are completely different when you can talk to each other and warn and point out stuff. Sally uses her phone interupt a fair bit. me less so unless we get separated and she can call be if there is a problem and we are out of intercom range.
I find almost any music makes me sleepy when I am riding or driving.
The thing about the Sena that is good is there are 2 buttons one huge and easily used by gloved hands and a smaller one that activates at right angles so you don't get confused. The first posted one here looks like it would be difficult to control where you gloved fingers press.

• Premium Member

@gregjet ahh gotcha,  you make good points about gloves as mine are a heavy duty model of 'Racer' so Im expecting to fumble around buttons so I require "poke and go" action.  Comms is new territory for me so much thanks for the input! Seems much more research is in order.

Im still debating over the FUSAR-Mohawk as they seem to cover everything quite well (on paper at least) all controlled with a ?simple? handle bar or wrist button, but not really sure if I need/want a camera. As well Fusar were unwilling to divulge any of their audio drivers information so Im expecting them to be crappy, but we'll see. Looks like a waiting game.

I dont know...just dont know. B-| Too many choices. First world problems.

SMH10R (Low profile), is by far the best thing i have ever bought!

I was anti-blutooth for a while, but they went on sale for $150 last week and purchased one.

It has alot of features, but realistically, you just pair you phone to it, and it does the rest. Once the phone is paired, ittl pickup calls, gps etc....no fussy around.Intercom is amazing, and just hold 2 buttons to pair.

Its a game changer. I actually rode my bike to a meeting today for work, all aong the way i was listening to music, have the navigation direct me, and picked up 2 phone calls!

Highly reccomend a Sena SMH10R

Mr. Puss,
Sena is a US firm. Your post purchase experience may be better than my very poor Australian one. The NEW Sena S20 is a good improvement on the 10 I have. The 10 work well, just have had reliability issues. Check around where you are for actual rider experience. Try a general motorcycle forum rather than a specific one like this ( say a touring forum) for others experience.

And picked up 2 phone calls! 

And could they hear you? Wind noise not an issue?
Crystal Clear.... 
I wouldnt cheap out on a Comm system...Sena is basically becoming the standard in comm's these days. Sure you can get some cheap chinese ones on Ebay, but why not pay another $50 and get a proven system from a US company...

Here is a cool video i found...from the callers perspective...

Sena's latest firmware has very capable wind noise cancelling.

• Premium Member
SMH10R (Low profile), is by far the best thing i have ever bought! 
I was anti-blutooth for a while, but they went on sale for $150 last week and purchased one.

It has alot of features, but realistically, you just pair you phone to it, and it does the rest. Once the phone is paired, ittl pickup calls, gps etc....no fussy around.Intercom is amazing, and just hold 2 buttons to pair.

Its a game changer. I actually rode my bike to a meeting today for work, all aong the way i was listening to music, have the navigation direct me, and picked up 2 phone calls!

Highly reccomend a Sena SMH10R
Good to know and glad Sena isnt Chinese but plenty of forums folk are pretty pissed with the sena product and terrible customer service...as 'gregjet' seems to share a similar opinion too.  Luck of the draw maybe? When I read through reviews they always seem to make these things sound awfully confusing, like you have to roll up your sleeves and really study the manual before you can do anything with it. Sounds like one can choose to make things much more complex feature wise, but by your account its pretty easy to get rolling. Thanks.

Mr Puss, what crash helmet do you wear??
One of my criteria for a comms system is for it to be as intigrated as possible in to the helmet

Sena may be made in China. Who knows. But the company is a US company. The 20 uses the latest bluetooth version, so has some excellent improvements ( including increased range). Just check their service reputation where you are.

• Premium Member
Mr Puss, what crash helmet do you wear?? One of my criteria for a comms system is for it to be as intigrated as possible in to the helmet
Its a modular, "HJC rpha Max"  
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/hjc-rpha-max-modular-street-helmet?gclid=CjwKEAiArdG1BRCLvs_q-IObwxMSJACXbLtzfJVB44dJgdXKXg-2iD4qEqvmiVCJc-Ka1oHRIHHSjBoCnz7w_wcB

Thanks, definitely important point to keep in mind.

• Premium Member
Sena may be made in China. Who knows. But the company is a US company. The 20 uses the latest bluetooth version, so has some excellent improvements ( including increased range). Just check their service reputation where you are.
I could almost guarantee its made in China but the regulations for QC are better than if it were strictly China brand. Given the random forum bitching I might hold out for another brand. 

Just checked. Made in Korea so they should be good quality. The 20 is a much more recent design as well. But again check local experience.

I've had two Sena 10's for about a year. One got wet in a torrential rain, and I had to dry it and hit the reset button on it. Other than that, zero issues. I use it for intercom, music, phone. All work really well.
I do not use it with my GoPro for Motovlogging. In my opinion, a wired mic saves power and gives better sound quality.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Sena is Made is Korea. By none the less a quality product.....

As far as rolling you sleeves up and studying? Comon guys... 3-5 min through the book and you can figure everything out. Its only 3 buttons! lol

• Premium Member
Just checked. Made in Korea so they should be good quality. The 20 is a much more recent design as well. But again check local experience.
HAHA right Korea. You beat me to it, I was just coming back to edit!  

• Premium Member
Sena is Made is Korea. By none the less a quality product..... 
As far as rolling you sleeves up and studying? Comon guys... 3-5 min through the book and you can figure everything out. Its only 3 buttons! lol
 Yeah, Im sure you're right. After all, reviewers do need to cover as much of the features as possible which makes the learning curve on these things sound like a pain. I only want a few features anyway, but still, 3 buttons though?  I dont know man..... ;) 

nokfir2, My experience is that the fewer the number of buttons on an electronic device, the more complicated to operate they are. Jetnikoff's theorum. Difficulty of use is (difficulty of using a single button) to the power of (( the number of buttons required for one for each function )- (the actual number of buttons)).
D=Db to power of (Br-Ba). Sorry don't have a maths keyboard for proper annotation.

Mr Puss, what crash helmet do you wear?? One of my criteria for a comms system is for it to be as intigrated as possible in to the helmet
Its a modular, "HJC rpha Max"  
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/hjc-rpha-max-modular-street-helmet?gclid=CjwKEAiArdG1BRCLvs_q-IObwxMSJACXbLtzfJVB44dJgdXKXg-2iD4qEqvmiVCJc-Ka1oHRIHHSjBoCnz7w_wcB

Thanks, definitely important point to keep in mind.

Check this out... http://www.sena.com/sena-bluetooth-announces-new-integrated-bluetooth-communication-device-in-hjc-helmet/

• Premium Member
Well damn, would you look at that! Thanks very much for looking that up! 

• Premium Member
nokfir2, My experience is that the fewer the number of buttons on an electronic device, the more complicated to operate they are. Jetnikoff's theorum. Difficulty of use is (difficulty of using a single button) to the power of (( the number of buttons required for one for each function )- (the actual number of buttons)). D=Db to power of (Br-Ba). Sorry don't have a maths keyboard for proper annotation.

Very good points here. More to consider. 

Archived