The MT-07 Forum

Was going to paint the side covers this pm, but...

avanti

• Premium Member

So, I've never been pleased with the silver side covers that extend up from the swing-arm pivot.  I've seen some painted black of one type or another and decided today, since the weather was sooooo nice, to do mine.  But, when I took them off I realized just how much I dislike their design in general and changed my mind about painting them.  As I am want to do in such instances, instead I decided to design and fab my own.  I have started on the design, though it is the first rough look-see as to how it might go, in cardboard.  I always mock up everything possible to make actual fabrication go as easily as possible.  Of course, this is quite crude and I'm not satisfied with what I have yet, but it is getting close enough I can make decisions about more detailed edge lines and routing.  I did have to make an aluminum bracket to move inward the wiring looms right under the right cover that from the factory hook into a contorted steel bracket that must serve some purpose with all its unused holes on other models. 

Anyway, here is a first look at where I'm heading with this.  It will be semi-glass black and will be mounted by three screws, in all likelihood, putting one where the plastic pin mount is on the stock cover.  Also, it is impossible to gently bend thick cardboard easily to duplicate the aluminum I'll be using--at least not without wetting it, so bear in mind the limitations of the medium as you look.  And, I may end up doing the inset part that runs under the seat as a separate screwed-on piece on each side... sorta like I did with the aluminum add-ons on my Intruder 20 years ago in the second pic. However, it shows how the edges can be made to fit with a little time and work. I always prefer one-piece widgits where possible but with enough bends and needing the angles perfect for the edges to all align correctly, I can go with something like on the Intruder.

I've some aluminum stock the right gauge to work, I think, but I really doubt the weather is going to hold for long, even in north Louisiana.  So, more when we manage work weather and time permits.  Shouldn't be that big a deal, really.  Just need some warm time in my unheated shop! Hehehe!!!

• Global Moderator

Looks interesting. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I'm not crazy about them either, I wish I could do what you're doing, would be fun to create my own like you're doing but I don't have the equipment so I'll have to take a different approach. Being that the bike is a naked and the plate is like a leaf covering it's privates. That ugly leaf is coming off, ha! Will it reveal wires and other unmentionables? Yes. Will it look more raw and grungy? Yes. I'm happier just thinking about it and here's the added bonus ... it will make my bike .002/1000 sec. faster on the 1/4 mile track I never go to!  ;)  (all about the looks)

Your work is looking good so far I think. Good luck and show us pics when it's finished. BTW, have you seen these for your garage? They work really well! Notice the different btu ratings.

http://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-RMC-FA60DGD-30-000-Propane/dp/B0044R8Y5I/ref=sr_1_105?ie=UTF8&qid=1454330443&sr=8-105&keywords=space+heater

Beemer

• Premium Member

Cool project. Been thinking of redesigning that piece myself as well so I'm stoked to see what you design. First on my agenda though is to fabricate new body panels out of *gasp* ... metal. Not a fan of the plastics.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

I decided to go a different direction with the new covers... MUCH simpler, but I also am getting rid of the silly foot guards with the little oval cutouts (no other ovals anywhere on the bike--duh). It's as if many current designers, other than perhaps those who do street Aston Martins and full-bodied Ducatis, never went to design school where it is taught that the first principle of good design is "theme and variation." Much today is all variation and no theme whatsoever, imho. Anyway...

The pieces below are still in raw aluminum, just having been cut, drilled, and bent. The cover will be semi-gloss black and the foot guard will be bead-blasted.

• Premium Member

Upon yet further reflection and some playing with Photoshop, I'm going to paint the side-covers as stated, but I'll do the foot-guards in black, as well. I'll try pick-up bed liner for the latter. It's durable and I'll see if it will last. It seems like it should; the stuff is pretty tough and kind of rubbery. If not, I've another idea. There's always a way.

I still have the left side-cover to fab and paint both left parts. So, progress continues... depending on weather, hehehe! I'm going to have to get a box and dedicate to stock '07 parts pretty soon, though.

Btw, if you have the screws out of the right-side foot guard you don't want to bump the brake pedal... parts can and might go anywhere.  Fortunately, just a return-spring came loose.  I still don't know why it didn't all pull apart when I first took the screws out... just that "stuck" together from the factory assembly, I guess.

• Global Moderator

Too much happy happy with the loctite

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Nah, sorkyah; had they used more it might not have come loose at all!!!

Archived