The MT-07 Forum

Is 5-10 more horsepower possible?

farmer67

R1, Quoteing the flying nun again?

Edited by gregjet
  • Haha 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I could had quoted the munsters or mr ed, I though tof Dream of Jennie then I got all flustered with boobies

• Like 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Boobie flustering has it's good points.

And quoting MR Ed only works in the suspension section " Wilbers!"

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2018 at 8:14 PM, heartofperformance said:

Can a custom dyno tune for the stock exhaust fix the stupid torque dip from 4100-4800rpm range on the stockers(as circled)?
image.thumb.png.9883fa8d8bcb32d0a31bb92d94b0e947.png

I am just concerned with the streetability of this bike, meaning low-to mid-range torque and horsepower only.
Apart from fixing those dip, a lil-extra of torque all around would be nice also :)

Graph taken from Akro website.

Cheers

Did anyone have an appreciable solution to this question?  I also would like to smooth this dip out a bit as well.  I saw in the other thread about the snorkel removal and flash (which I've done), but if there was something that targeted this specific issue, then I'd be interested.

Thanks,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Did anyone have an appreciable solution to this question?  I also would like to smooth this dip out a bit as well.  I saw in the other thread about the snorkel removal and flash (which I've done), but if there was something that targeted this specific issue, then I'd be interested.

Thanks,

I really get a kick out of the posts in threads like this as it is amusing to me not in a disrespectful way at all.  Here is my point:

The Motor, is capable of a hell of a lot of HP, Torque and rev limit and a combination there of, "HERE IS SOME KEY WORD POINTS" DEPENDING ON WHAT EXACTLY YOUR TUNNING YOUR MOTOR FOR

There would be a general all around tune as make it smooth, reduce the engine brake, make the torque cure more linear etc

There would be I want a gob of torque at mid range and a massive hit at that

There would be I want all that HP to hit at 7k and just rip the handles bars from my fingers

Etc Etc Etc

But for general purposes we are talking here general riding with little knowledge of tuning a motor by predomiantly 90% of the population, thats not an insult, thats pretty much the truth.  There is so much more than a pipe, flash and airbox to this matter especially on a entry level detuned motorcycle like the FZ-07 is intended for.  is 100HP possible on the 07, why I would say yes and what do you do with that HP, put it low, put it high blend the torque to hit more low then mid or do you want that to be in the upper ranges?  You see to gain one you loose another and yes there is a happy medium.

In conclusion, The 07 is a purpose built bike, it reached its intended market, is better then most all the other offerings and is detuned like a mofo for riders that want 09 performance or better Ducati Scrambler performance from a choked up, detuned, entry level ill handling slighty over weight beauty of the 07.  We put what I would quess 1000 to 2500 on average to bring the bike to life.  What does a out of the box Duc Scrambler cost? and ya get some pretty tight shet with that bike

Yet I digress, The final conclusion, and the answer to above, yes that curve can be corrected, with about $500 and someone who knows how to make it go away, such as @2wheeldynoworks or @hordboy or the back yard tuners with a laptop, a DiY kit and knowledge

:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

On 1/27/2018 at 3:42 AM, r1limited said:

I really get a kick out of the posts in threads like this as it is amusing to me not in a disrespectful way at all.  Here is my point:

The Motor, is capable of a hell of a lot of HP, Torque and rev limit and a combination there of, "HERE IS SOME KEY WORD POINTS" DEPENDING ON WHAT EXACTLY YOUR TUNNING YOUR MOTOR FOR

There would be a general all around tune as make it smooth, reduce the engine brake, make the torque cure more linear etc

There would be I want a gob of torque at mid range and a massive hit at that

There would be I want all that HP to hit at 7k and just rip the handles bars from my fingers

Etc Etc Etc

But for general purposes we are talking here general riding with little knowledge of tuning a motor by predomiantly 90% of the population, thats not an insult, thats pretty much the truth.  There is so much more than a pipe, flash and airbox to this matter especially on a entry level detuned motorcycle like the FZ-07 is intended for.  is 100HP possible on the 07, why I would say yes and what do you do with that HP, put it low, put it high blend the torque to hit more low then mid or do you want that to be in the upper ranges?  You see to gain one you loose another and yes there is a happy medium.

In conclusion, The 07 is a purpose built bike, it reached its intended market, is better then most all the other offerings and is detuned like a mofo for riders that want 09 performance or better Ducati Scrambler performance from a choked up, detuned, entry level ill handling slighty over weight beauty of the 07.  We put what I would quess 1000 to 2500 on average to bring the bike to life.  What does a out of the box Duc Scrambler cost? and ya get some pretty tight shet with that bike

Yet I digress, The final conclusion, and the answer to above, yes that curve can be corrected, with about $500 and someone who knows how to make it go away, such as @2wheeldynoworks or @hordboy or the back yard tuners with a laptop, a DiY kit and knowledge

:)

I understand what you are saying, and yes I imagine that it would give a chuckle to someone who is intimate with motorcycles and has tinkered with them before.  I have the ability to gain knowledge to perhaps achieve what I am asking for, but the time investment to gain that knowledge would far exceed the cost to have someone who already has the know-how to do it and just pay to have it done.  $500 doesn't seem like a lot of cash if that includes the flash from 2WDW, which I've paid, so we're talking what $250ish?  To me $250 to achieve something that will last the lifetime of the bike is easy money spent that I'll be happy I did to gain as you put it "general all around tune as make it smooth, reduce the engine brake, make the torque cure more linear etc".  If the trade off is losing a bit of top end, then that's fine with me as there really is no reason to push this bike to the end of it's limits on public roads, whereas the torque correction at the low / mid range is use-able on public roads.  As far as max HP and all of that, it means nothing to me.  I'm not trying to get a track bike, or the beastliest FZ07 out there.  You are correct that by the time we are done fiddling with the FZ07, then we are approaching Duc Scrambler prices, etc.  But then again we would most likely spend the same $ farkling with one of those as well, so that becomes a mute point to me.

Thank you for the response... But still the question remains.  If someone knowledgeable stated for $250-275ish plus the reflash I can give you 90% of what you're asking for, then I'd be game.

On 1/27/2018 at 5:58 AM, tag said:

Trackdays reliably gets better performance out of any motorcycle, :) ^^ and every motorcycle you ride afterwards.

While I agree 100% with this statement, the sad truth is that track days aren't an option for many, myself included.  There are no tracks where I live, none in the state that I know of, and to travel and do a track day would be basically 1/2 the cost of a new FZ-07 or more...  Heck there aren't even any "empty" parking lots to play around in for that matter, unless I'm going to go out at 1am...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Thank you for the response... But still the question remains. 

I believe I answered the question and then some.  As noted, you will need to do far more than just a flash to get 5 HP, for 10 HP you are going to have to spend some Benjemins to get that kind of power

A Flash will indeed as I clearly stated smooth that curve out which is your original question/concern.  So it remains to wonder what part of what has already been said is not understood?

Not meant to be inidignant nor sarcastic this is just a question as to what you are not understanding.

Edited by r1limited
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, r1limited said:

I believe I answered the question and then some.  As noted, you will need to do far more than just a flash to get 5 HP, for 10 HP you are going to have to spend some Benjemins to get that kind of power

A Flash will indeed as I clearly stated smooth that curve out which is your original question/concern.  So it remains to wonder what part of what has already been said is not understood?

Not meant to be inidignant nor sarcastic this is just a question as to what you are not understanding.

No offence taken here.  I'm perhaps a bit obtuse on the subject therefore was not "getting it".  It was a bit off-topic from the OP to quote of heartofperformance's original question, as I wasn't looking for extra HP, but was looking to address the dip at ~4k.  It appears that the dip in the curve should be minimized with just a flash according to your response.  I guess I'll need to send in the ECU for another flash to see if that helps.  My ongoing uncertainty was whether or not a pipe, or airbox, or some other bit was also required for the flash to be effective in reducing the dip in the  curve.  Thanks for entertaining my lack of understanding.

Cheers. 

• Like 2

heartofperformance
On 30/01/2018 at 9:59 AM, Zephyr said:

No offence taken here.  I'm perhaps a bit obtuse on the subject therefore was not "getting it".  It was a bit off-topic from the OP to quote of heartofperformance's original question, as I wasn't looking for extra HP, but was looking to address the dip at ~4k.  It appears that the dip in the curve should be minimized with just a flash according to your response.  I guess I'll need to send in the ECU for another flash to see if that helps.  My ongoing uncertainty was whether or not a pipe, or airbox, or some other bit was also required for the flash to be effective in reducing the dip in the  curve.  Thanks for entertaining my lack of understanding.

Cheers. 

Thank you for reiterating my question, we have exactly the same intention/honest question.

So just a reflash will sort that dip yes?

No need for an aftermaket exhaust or any other parts

Cheers

• Premium Member

I just made a battery out of a potato.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• 7 months later...
On 2/1/2016 at 6:19 PM, hordboy said:

With admin's permission I am posting this.  Here is my personal FZ-07 with a stock engine, Yosh exhaust, PCV, and custom airbox.  87 pump gas, nothing funny going on.  Hopefully will be selling this setup soon.  And if you want to see what a FZ-07 will do with some engine work, I'll be happy to post that too.  :)

tumblr_o1w8m5nqPT1uq2j0eo1_1280.jpg

i know this is an old thread but i would like to ask some questions if i could message you 

Just a note here. The "dip" after an early peak is probably not so much a "dip" and a lower output after a resonance peak, most probably in the airbox/inlet area. With the removal of the snorkel , the resonant frequencies of the system will change and in this case, remove a "positive" ( from a torque pint of view) effect of the system. It is more than possible that it was designed in to be a help at shift points.

Having said that, Suzuki had a purpose built dip, in it's midrange and bigger bikes, for quite a while ( ecu) to reduce noise at the testing rpm, at about the same revs as the 07 dip. As far as I know they don't need to do it anymore.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
17 minutes ago, AronA said:

Hey yall I just read through this whole thing and saw that hordboy never responded. Pretty sure this is the airbox he put together if anyone is still interested.

https://www.hordpower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=566

yes that is the "Hordpower Airbox"... sadly Hordpower left as a forum vendor some time ago...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 6 months later...

Bumping this thread because a lot of people are finding this in google search.  

Best bang for buck HP increase is the 2wheeldynoworks Yosh Performance package. 

$920 bucks gets you an 8hp increase and no loss in TQ. Full Yoshimura exhaust plus the killer ECU tune. 

fz07-full-yoshi-r77.jpg