The MT-07 Forum

Is 5-10 more horsepower possible?

farmer67

Instead of the expensive, and labor intensive piston swap, is it possible to increase compression by milling the head?
Yes, but it will compromise what camshaft can be used.   Valve to piston issues.  But I definitely want to develop a package of some sort that is all above the head gasket. 
  • Like 1

J.D. Hord

Instead of the expensive, and labor intensive piston swap, is it possible to increase compression by milling the head?
I dont think that would be a good alternative, I think if you are going to go to that trouble why not do it properly and change the pistons. I wouldnt want to get the head milled down as only a certain amount can be taken off, then if you have a problem later on with head gasket and need it skimmed to flaten there may not be enough meat left to do it. Wouldnt it be better to take some off the engine deck heught and leave the head as is??

• Premium Member

If anything just get the stock exhaust ECU reflash and upgrade the suspension first

• Thanks 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator
I dont think that would be a good alternative, I think if you are going to go to that trouble why not do it properly and change the pistons. I wouldnt want to get the head milled down as only a certain amount can be taken off, then if you have a problem later on with head gasket and need it skimmed to flaten there may not be enough meat left to do it. Wouldnt it be better to take some off the engine deck heught and leave the head as is??

You lower the deck height and you'll be inviting trouble with piston/valve interference... practically begging the crankshaft to give you a new valve-train

Better off getting the higher comp pistons
almost wonder if it would be worth it to change injectors and swap to e85

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Congrats TVP! Other than Hordboy, none of the dyno charts on this site show more than a 4-5hp max gain.
Because fixing the exhaust is only half the issue. The intake gets you the other half. For racing though typically you can't change the airbox in any major way unless you're stepping up to Superbike. A redone airbox for a couple bills would be mighty impressive. The guys from Speedwerks had their SV airbox banned because it was so damn good.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

You lower the deck height and you'll be inviting trouble with piston/valve interference... practically begging the crankshaft to give you a new valve-train 
Better off getting the higher comp pistons
almost wonder if it would be worth it to change injectors and swap to e85
But surely you would also have that problem by milling the head?? If I was going to do it I would also rather do it properly and get new pistons, I was just suggesting an alternative to milling the head
I know with my new car engine I needed to get the pistons pocketed because of the lift on my new inlet cam

I'm sorry, but I really don't see the need for more power, this bike has awesome power as it is. Maybe some simple mods would be okay, like the airbox, and some simple exhaust mods. My neighbors like the quiet motorcycle. A bike that hits 100 in fifth gear, and has another gear to go, is plenty for me.

I'm sorry, but I really don't see the need for more power, this bike has awesome power as it is. Maybe some simple mods would be okay, like the airbox, and some simple exhaust mods. My neighbors like the quiet motorcycle. A bike that hits 100 in fifth gear, and has another gear to go, is plenty for me.
I'm sorry, but I don't see how your view of awesome power is the same as mine? Do you realize how you sound? What is ideal for you may not be for another. Should we all drive a Prius? 

I'm sorry, but I don't see how your view of awesome power is the same as mine? Do you realize how you sound? What is ideal for you may not be for another. Should we all drive a Prius? 
Welcome to tonight's main event!!! Touch Gloves. Ding, ding, ding! 
That was kinda a trollish comment. No need to pick apart someones desire to upgrade their bike. We all like to upgrade things others think is wasteful: BBQ, House, Cars, TV Remotes, Dogs, Bedazzled jeans, deep-fried Twinkies?! :)

Some people get excited about 30 MPH on a scooter and I say to them, Go get it! Personally, 100 is juuuuust starting to get exciting. We're all different. Lets support each other. :):)
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Plenty of power is 100+ in second gear on a liter bike. The Fz07 is a fun torquey bastard but it could use more power so we upgrade crap because we can.

And loud exhaust and rev matching to slow the bike down are great way to make friends with the neighbors. Hell its still quieter than one of my cars. When I take off on my fz07 my girlfriend can hear me shift into 4th gear from inside the house.

Let us discuss this guys great work in peace without any troll comments please.

• Like 1

A fast majority of bikes hit peak power in 5th gear. 6th gear is really only for cruising. Granted 6th gear is longer then 5th but most bikes don't have the power to actually gain much more speed in 6th.

I would love more power. When riding with my group of friends I can destroy them in the turns. This bike has almost more torque then the 600cc bikes. But as soon as we hit a straight they blow right by me. I know this bike wasn't designed for top speed but a little more would be nice.

pineappleunderthesea
I would love more power. When riding with my group of friends I can destroy them in the turns. This bike has almost more torque then the 600cc bikes. But as soon as we hit a straight they blow right by me. I know this bike wasn't designed for top speed but a little more would be nice.
A little more top end would be nice.  Looks like hordboy's airbox would do just that if you pick the "top end power" version!

Little harsh. I know most of us agree with you but we can say it with a little more tact.

• 1 year later...
heartofperformance
On 2/2/2016 at 8:40 AM, hordboy said:

Yep!  And that's not the best of the prototypes.  I have another that makes a little better spread.  More in the middle, a tad less on top.

I would like to buy this setup pretty please?

heartofperformance
On 2/1/2016 at 11:05 AM, churchxd said:

Here are a couple graphs from our flash for the FZ-07

Blue: Stock
Red: Flashed + Stock Exhaust
Green: Flashed + Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust
fz07%20stock%20vs%20flashed%20vs%20akro%20carbon%20flashed_zps44may7hv.png

Blue: Stock Exhaust
Red: Flash + Stock Exhaust
fz07%20stock%20pipe%20before%20and%20after%20flash_zpslezdxscl.png

Red: Full Yoshimura Exhaust Snorkel Removed
Blue: Full Yoshimura Exhaust Snorkel Not Removed
full%20yosh%20snorkel%20already%20removed%20vs%20flash_zpsfcpbnrhz.png

Termignoni Flashed Before After
fz7%20termi%20before%20and%20after_zpst5rdttic.png

Full Leo Vince 70.24 Hp 49.27 Tq
fz07leovincefullgraph_zpsv9wk3g2r.jpg

How could I see the attached pictures again? Very much like to see the first graph:

Blue: Stock
Red: Flashed + Stock Exhaust
Green: Flashed + Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust

Cheers

heartofperformance
On 2/5/2016 at 5:06 PM, norcal616 said:

If anything just get the stock exhaust ECU reflash and upgrade the suspension first

Can a custom dyno tune for the stock exhaust fix the stupid torque dip from 4100-4800rpm range on the stockers(as circled)?
image.thumb.png.9883fa8d8bcb32d0a31bb92d94b0e947.png

I am just concerned with the streetability of this bike, meaning low-to mid-range torque and horsepower only.
Apart from fixing those dip, a lil-extra of torque all around would be nice also :)

Graph taken from Akro website.

Cheers

Edited by heartofperformance

• Premium Member

• Thanks 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

heartofperformance
23 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

Thank you, just want to double check, very much appreciated!

On 2/1/2016 at 4:40 PM, hordboy said:

Yep!  And that's not the best of the prototypes.  I have another that makes a little better spread.  More in the middle, a tad less on top.

Long time ago, Hordboy, but did this version ever make it to market, or just the one we're familiar with? Interested.

When lift plus thrust is greater than load plus drag 

Anythign will fly

Edited by r1limited

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria