The MT-07 Forum

Is 5-10 more horsepower possible?

farmer67

• Global Moderator
Congrats TVP! Other than Hordboy, none of the dyno charts on this site show more than a 4-5hp max gain.
But most mods are bolt ons....
not internal engine upgrades as hord has done

Just the airbox alone would be a decent upgrade

Im curious about the throttle body upgrades he mentioned though

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Congrats TVP! Other than Hordboy, none of the dyno charts on this site show more than a 4-5hp max gain.
OK maybe it just feels that way, lol! Thank you for correcting me. 

All right.  Bone stock vs. current engine spec-  Wiseco hi-comp pistons, custom intake cam, ported head, TB mods, custom airbox, Yosh and PCV.  87 pump gas again.  Makes almost 92hp on the good fuel.  :) 
tumblr_o13zoscZJx1uq2j0eo1_1280.jpg

Fak!! That's awesome!

Beemer

That is top work!!!
To go in to that amount of work though wht not just buy a more powerful bike. How much would the engine re-build with head porting etc cost with all the other bits? I've not much experience in re-building bike engines so have no idea on cost

It's not cheap.  I have some of the basic parts/prices listed on my website.Then you have labor/tuning on top of that.  Unfortunately with the FZ engine, it all has to come apart to install pistons.  I tried to do it without splitting the cases, but it wasn't possible.  So it's a big job.
How much do you think the labour would be?? 

I don't like to quote $$ figures because when in the future somebody reads this, it might have changed.  But figure ~24hrs of labor, 3 days.  (engine in bike)   It took me a little longer than that first time, it'll go quicker the more I do. 

J.D. Hord

• Global Moderator
I don't like to quote $$ figures because when in the future somebody reads this, it might have changed.  But figure ~24hrs of labor, 3 days.  (engine in bike)   It took me a little longer than that first time, it'll go quicker the more I do. 
what was the difference in your custom cam vs the stockers 
also, is it possible you degree'd the exhaust cam? i know @gregjet was looking for the numbers for calculating a new/tuned exhaust.

My intake cam has a little more duration and a lot more lift.  The exhaust cam is stock for now, and stock lobe center.  In typical Yamaha fashion, the exhaust cam is pretty thin and durability is an issue if you regrind it.  At some point billets are going to be available, and then we're off to the races...

• Like 1

J.D. Hord

My intake cam has a little more duration and a lot more lift.  The exhaust cam is stock for now, and stock lobe center.  In typical Yamaha fashion, the exhaust cam is pretty thin and durability is an issue if you regrind it.  At some point billets are going to be available, and then we're off to the races...
Interesting stuff. how about a turbo kit? Now that would give a decent power gain. Theres an Aussie company which does one for the MT/FZ 09, its over 200bhp, on a stock engine too 

what was the difference in your custom cam vs the stockers 
also, is it possible you degree'd the exhaust cam? i know @gregjet was looking for the numbers for calculating a new/tuned exhaust.
Wouldnt you need adjustable cam pulleys to do that?? 

Guest 2wheeler

Hey hordboy, everybody so far has been asking you questions about the mechanics of what you did to your bike. I'm interested in what it actually did for your bike as far as power delivery and rideability goes - especially compared to stock. One can jack the power up on a bike, and it's just not as fun to ride due to many variables. Would you be so kind as to go into some detail of what riding it is like now, and the pros and cons (if there is any) of the power change?

Thanks!

Very impressive numbers but can just an air box really add 10hp? Could you explain what your air box does to make that big of a difference?

Turbos-  Don't expect one from me, I'm more of an "all motor" guy as the drag racers say.

Cam sprockets-  Available if needed. 

Power delivery-  I'm very sensitive to this.  I don't believe in building an engine that is hard to use, not even racing engines.  I always shoot for power gains across the board and willingly give up big peak numbers for the sake of useability.  It's winter time here in Ohio, so seat time on the new engine has been limited, but from what I have been able to ride it... big fun.

J.D. Hord

Turbos-  Don't expect one from me, I'm more of an "all motor" guy as the drag racers say. 
Cam sprockets-  Available if needed. 

Power delivery-  I'm very sensitive to this.  I don't believe in building an engine that is hard to use, not even racing engines.  I always shoot for power gains across the board and willingly give up big peak numbers for the sake of useability.  It's winter time here in Ohio, so seat time on the new engine has been limited, but from what I have been able to ride it... big fun.

I love a turbo in a car, dont know it I'd like it on a bike Thats what I like to hear, it is all about how driveable it is, peak figures dont interest me that much either. I can only really speak from a car point of view but too many people are interested in how much peak power, never mind it drives like an absolute snail before getting to that point. The thing with the MT is its a fun bike, all that low down torque is what puts a smile on everyones face so as far as mods go as long as it doesnt stray from this should be on to a winner.
My only problem still is cost. Factor in buying the bike, new exhaust, new suspension, new air filter, new airbox, engine re-build and you are looking at MT 09 money with and exhaust or even still probably an MT 10. Dont get me wrong I love to modify and have spent a small fortune on my car but the gains in the car are making it more than double stock power, where as that is a hell or a lot of work for 20hp. Its a shame the engine from the MT 09 cant be put in the 07, the 07 is a much better looking bike

Very impressive numbers but can just an air box really add 10hp? Could you explain what your air box does to make that big of a difference?
No thats Airbox with Yoshi Exhaust, PCV and maybe an air filter, so just the air box itself isn't giving the full 10hp 

No thats Airbox with Yoshi Exhaust, PCV and maybe an air filter, so just the air box itself isn't giving the full 10hp
True... But from the previous graphs posted it looks like with PVC, air filter, exhaust most are getting +5hp? So I guess the new air box is giving another 5hp. Impressive! Lol can you do this to my Ninja 300?!

• Global Moderator
I could see the longer duration
but why the lift? Wouldnt that just cause inerference with the valves at higher rpm?

For a valve of X diameter it needs Y amount of lift for airflow.  Like a lot of things in life, more is better...  up to a point.  :D

• Like 2

J.D. Hord

I could see the longer duration but why the lift? Wouldnt that just cause inerference with the valves at higher rpm?

Obviously every engine is different. Some engines can accommodate a fair amount of added lift with no problems. The air inlet at the valve is basically a hole with two major variables:

1. Size of the "hole."
2. How long the "hole" is open.

Obviously, opening the hole for a longer duration will allow more air. But size of the hole has two factors.

1. The diameter of the opening (valve and seat). Make a bigger hole and you flow more air. This is not always an option due to limited space, so you have to adjust the second variable.

2. When you lift the valve off the seat, its not a fully open passage. There is a huge obstruction, the valve! :) think of it like a can of soup. Use your can opener and remove one end of the can. Pour out the soup. Now take the end that you removed and place it back in. When it falls all the way to the bottom that's basically the same as a closed valve, raise that removed end up a half of an inch and you have more volume and another half inch and you have more volume. The more you can lift the valve, there is a larger area for air to rush in and around the obstructing valve, in turn making a "bigger hole."
  • Like 1

With admin's permission I am posting this.  Here is my personal FZ-07 with a stock engine, Yosh exhaust, PCV, and custom airbox.  87 pump gas, nothing funny going on.  Hopefully will be selling this setup soon.  And if you want to see what a FZ-07 will do with some engine work, I'll be happy to post that too.  :) 
tumblr_o1w8m5nqPT1uq2j0eo1_1280.jpg

As soon as you get the air box figured out let me know. Where you are in Ohio is 5.5 hrs away. I would certainly consider getting setup on your dyno!