The MT-07 Forum

Is 5-10 more horsepower possible?

farmer67

Hello all. I bought a fz-07 last April and I absolutely love the bike, awesome torque, decent power, light... you all know what I mean. But I can't help but want more. I grew up riding dirt and this is my first street bike. I have a whopping 6xx miles on her.... I've asked about exhaust before and gotten mixed results. What about exhaust + air filter + power commander? Does anyone have any experience with said combo? I was about to pull the trigger on a two bros exhaust but the end of riding season came up but that is the way am leaning. 

Any thoughts? I'm just looking for noticeable power gains. Not looking to turn  the bike into  fz-09 but a little more would be awesome! 

Here are a couple graphs from our flash for the FZ-07

Blue: Stock
Red: Flashed + Stock Exhaust
Green: Flashed + Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust
fz07%20stock%20vs%20flashed%20vs%20akro%20carbon%20flashed_zps44may7hv.png

Blue: Stock Exhaust
Red: Flash + Stock Exhaust
fz07%20stock%20pipe%20before%20and%20after%20flash_zpslezdxscl.png

Red: Full Yoshimura Exhaust Snorkel Removed
Blue: Full Yoshimura Exhaust Snorkel Not Removed
full%20yosh%20snorkel%20already%20removed%20vs%20flash_zpsfcpbnrhz.png

Termignoni Flashed Before After
fz7%20termi%20before%20and%20after_zpst5rdttic.png

Full Leo Vince 70.24 Hp 49.27 Tq
fz07leovincefullgraph_zpsv9wk3g2r.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stock airbox is sitting on a shelf. New prototype airbox installed on the bike. Regular ol' air and regular ol' 87 pump gas. Plus full exhaust and PCV. :)

J.D. Hord

On their own, Arrow full systems give between 2 and 2.5 more rwhp between 4,500 and 9,500 rpm.Dyno_Yamaha_MT07_zpsd9cva4u8.jpg
I have yet to add a high flow air filter, I haven't removed the air box snorkel or flashed the ECU or added a fuel controller, but the exhaust on its own has made a detectable difference. I would think 5 more horses than stock is possible with a good exhaust, proper performance filter like a BMC, then add a flashed ECU. But 10 would take some major engine modifications, such as cams, high comp pistons, a fuel controller and some porting work. I'll get to doing all of these things eventually, but at the moment I'm saving for decent suspension which will be far more helpful in making the -07 a good bike than any amount of extra horsepower. :)

• Like 3

With admin's permission I am posting this.  Here is my personal FZ-07 with a stock engine, Yosh exhaust, PCV, and custom airbox.  87 pump gas, nothing funny going on.  Hopefully will be selling this setup soon.  And if you want to see what a FZ-07 will do with some engine work, I'll be happy to post that too.  :)

tumblr_o1w8m5nqPT1uq2j0eo1_1280.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

J.D. Hord

Yep!  And that's not the best of the prototypes.  I have another that makes a little better spread.  More in the middle, a tad less on top.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

J.D. Hord

Well @hordboy i would certainly like to see some of those graphs! Post 'em sir!

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

All right.  Bone stock vs. current engine spec-  Wiseco hi-comp pistons, custom intake cam, ported head, TB mods, custom airbox, Yosh and PCV.  87 pump gas again.  Makes almost 92hp on the good fuel.  :)

tumblr_o13zoscZJx1uq2j0eo1_1280.jpg

• Like 3

J.D. Hord

Hordboy, how much did you get without the custom airbox? And yes, please put up the worked engine graphs as Geteup requests! :)

Dear lord!!!!

Whats up with this air box for sale? Does it require a special flash? Is the 10hp gain running original software (I'm thinking not)?

Well, closer-ER to a FZ-09 but those are pretty stout.  I have had a couple of those on the dyno as well.

There's not a lot of detail to give about the airbox yet, because I don't know details myself.  We're working on a final production prototype, which needs testing and then it will be go time.  I'm hoping to keep the price reasonable.  It should offer a bigger hp gain than a good full exhaust, at around half the price.  Yes it will need tuning work.  I'm using a PCV (several reasons for that) but a flash could and should be developed.  There are a few behind the scenes things that need worked out, and if/when I get vendor status here, I will keep you updated on everything.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

J.D. Hord

That is pretty amazing gain! When I did the R&D for my exhaust I figured out quickly that the bike didn't breath enough but never tough there was so much power left on the table!

Good work!

Looks like you had some motor work done, with the new air box and exhaust what do you think our bike would produce?

So just new air box, exhaust and flash.

Looks like you had some motor work done, with the new air box and exhaust what do you think our bike would produce?  
The first chart I posted is with a stock engine.  Just the Yosh, an iteration of the airbox, and a PCV.  I recently completed the engine build and that's the second chart.

J.D. Hord

Subsdcribed as well.
I have a flash, Graves exhaust with cat delete, snorkel out. I have not put it on a dyno, but it's no doubt making 7+ hp more. Not to mention the flash smooths things out so the bike is easier to ride and the exhaust dropped 10lbs off the weight.

The first chart I posted is with a stock engine.  Just the Yosh, an iteration of the airbox, and a PCV.  I recently completed the engine build and that's the second chart.

I'm sorry I miss read that post. Amazing work.