The MT-07 Forum

No Snorkel in a Rainstorm?

Guest 2wheeler

I got the k&n filter for mine today. I dont ride in the rain since i have no gear yet, but if i was to either remove it or face it forward as a " ram air" it wont change the fuel to lean much?? Im completly stock and dont intend to do anything at the moment.
With a stock exhaust, you probably won't gain anything messing with the air filter configuration.  Leave it like it is.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

No ram air effect under there.
What he said. Ram air only works at high speeds when the air inlet has full access to the oncoming air stream. A tucked away air snorkel pointed in any direction is just trying to suck up any air it can find. :)

• 1 month later...
pineappleunderthesea

So to resurrect this thread and to summarize:
- snorkel out seems to get gains when tuned
- there is a worry of a bit of water or debris making its way to the filter, however
- one solution is to cut the bottom of the snorkel, that way the top is still there to seal the airbox

So my question: will removing the bottom of the snorkel help get more air in there, or is it the bend of the snorkel that is the restrictor? If so, my thought was to cut most of the top off, maybe leave half an inch or so. That way there is still enough material to prevent water seeping in. The bottom could be cut as well. Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Just my $0.02, but if it is raining hard enough to have to worry about rain getting in my engine then I probably need to consider other things like...will I die in a crash before I get where I'm going?

Disclaimer: I live in the desert and am a 90% fair weather rider...I'll drive my 2004 tacoma if the weather is iffy and I have to go very far.

"Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater" - Iggy Pop

bmwpowere36m3

Haha… "ram-air", yeah maybe near mach and above. If anything, cold-air intakes are actually useful if they stock configuration draws from a higher ambient area (like beyond a radiator, or engine bay, etc…). I believe the snorkel's function is two-fold: water intrusion and noise. That's not to say, water will get into the airbox without the snorkel… but OEMs design and test for a WIDE variety of scenarios.

Archived