Sign in to follow this  
pabogala

Engine case cover torque specs?

pabogala
I just got my t-rex engine case covers. I searched and searched and can't find the torque specs for the bolts at the engine case cover. Anyone can help me out here?

Guest Ralph
12nm or 8.7 ft-lb but I would exercise extreme caution it's so easy to strip small bolts like this.
I tend to do them by feel.

kakusaizou
They are usually torqued at 8ft-lbs.

castanzarules
I've got a document with all of the FZ chassis torque specs if anyone is interested. I believe I got it from someone else on this forum actually. It doesn't have everything but it has a lot.

pabogala
12nm or 8.7 ft-lb but I would exercise extreme caution it's so easy to strip small bolts like this. I tend to do them by feel.
Shit happens! :( I just stripped one of them for trying to do everything right. FML... roookiee! any comments, solutions?

Guest Ralph
The numbers are from the official service manual but like I said I tend to do them by feel,
torque wrenches tend to be a little unreliable at such low settings, feel is a thing only experience
will give. We used to spend a lot of money with Brigs & Stratton and reps would call when in the UK
they could not believe I tightened the big end bolts by feel but tests with their very expensive mini
torque wrench showed I was spot on, they must have been impressed as they gave me the wrench, never
used it and much to my regret I left it at work when I retired. what you are feeling for is the bolt
just starting to stretch don't just tighten one bolt in a case take them all up to snug then nip them
up diagonally don't just work your way round a case.

pabogala
Ok, so I found a possible solution that you guys already might know, it is called helicoil and it is a thread repair kit. I will order it and get it fixed. There is no oil leaking at the time but want to avoid it for whenever I run the motorcycle and oil gets hot.

pabogala
The numbers are from the official service manual but like I said I tend to do them by feel, torque wrenches tend to be a little unreliable at such low settings, feel is a thing only experience
will give. We used to spend a lot of money with Brigs & Stratton and reps would call when in the UK
they could not believe I tightened the big end bolts by feel but tests with their very expensive mini
torque wrench showed I was spot on, they must have been impressed as they gave me the wrench, never
used it and much to my regret I left it at work when I retired. what you are feeling for is the bolt
just starting to stretch don't just tighten one bolt in a case take them all up to snug then nip them
up diagonally don't just work your way round a case.

Yes sir, I am starting to get my own experience I try to read and follow videos before I do any work, I know that to tight engine covers you have to follow the criss cross sequence but crap, this is my second time screwing it up with a damn torque wrench, first time I broke a bolt and now I stripped the thread. That was the last time I use a torque wrench.

Guest Ralph
Helicoil work well there is also a cheaper Australian I think system that works just as well,
cant remember its name once done you are very unlikely to strip one out, I have never seen
one fail.
Maybe your wrench is out? I have tested a few and some were way off, always brake the wrench
a few times before using on anything that matters.

pabogala
One last thing, I have read in other forums to fix only what gives you problems. Should I just drive it and see if it leaks and if not just leave it that way or go ahead and re thread that sun of a gun?