The MT-07 Forum

Craigslist FZ07's: advice needed

dentalprodigy

dentalprodigy

Hi everyone,
                 I'm interested in knowing weather I'm getting a good deal on 2 potential FZ-07's in my area (NJ).  This is going to be my first bike, first used motorcycle.  

Bike [HASH]1 : 

2015 FZ-07 
Mileage: 1400 
all stock
"showroom condition" 
"YES" manufacturer 48 month transferable warranty included (~11 months left)
Asking price: $6000

Bike [HASH]2 : 

@015 FZ-07
Mileage: 1106
IXIL full exhaust (~$500), rest stock
"brand new condition"
Asking price: $6000 as well

Questions: 
1) Out of the 2 which one is the better deal (assuming similar condition)
2) Other than 600 mi service records? what service history should I inquire about?
3) What items on the bike should I look for? (chain?)
4) Common problems with this model that I should ask for? 

Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

with mileage that low I doubt theres anything you have to worry about. definitely check the chain to see if its lubed well and properly adjusted.

between the 2 I'd lean towards the bike with the ixil exhaust, but ultimately my decision would come down to which rider was more mature/knowledgeable, how the bike was stored, etc.

I wish there had been some deals like those in my area. Good luck and safe riding!

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

This time of year is a good time to buy, not many buyers out there. The 2016's have been out for a few months and these Used "essentially" stock 2015's may be able to be purchased for $5,500.  Bike [HASH]1 list 11 months left on a 48 month YES warranty. This does not add up, since the FZ-07 came out in the USA around July of 2014 (18 months ago). A new FZ-07 comes with a 12 month Yamaha warranty. The 48 month YES warranty would cover a bike for 4 years after the bikes 12 month warranty expires, so the bike would be covered for a total of 5 years. There should be more than 11 months left on the warranty for bike [HASH]1. Bike [HASH]2 list the Ixil exhaust, if you like the look and sound of this exhaust this is a plus. However, if the Ixil exhaust does nothing for you, it adds no value to your purchase of this bike. Also, you may need a ECU reflash or fuel controller, since bike [HASH]2 has an aftermarket exhaust installed on the bike. Good luck!

Guest 2wheeler

My $0.02 worth, that price is too high. I live in the DC area, and there is a new red tank 2015 on the showroom floor at the local dealer where I got mine. I bought a 2016 for $6690, and I'm sure you can get that one for $6500 and probably less. We have a lot of snow on the ground, and it's amazing how they deal during bad weather. For a few hundred dollars difference, I think it's better to get a new bike. If you are interested, feel free to shot me a message and I'll send you the details.

I checked Kelly Blue Book and this is what they say the asking price from a dealer should be. Considering you can usually get a better deal in a personal sale the price for both bikes are too high. Again, this is according to KBB. I personally wouldn't pay that much but I would definitely try to talk them down in price. They both sound like nice bikes with the low mileage and I would go for the one with the IXIL pipe if I liked the looks of it.  

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/yamaha/fz-07/2015-yamaha-fz-07/suggestedretailvalue/

Beemer

I would argue that the asking prices are not low enough to start out with, like 2wheeler said. Obviously these people bought the bikes new and are trying to sell quick and recover their initial purchase price, which doesnt work with vehicles. As soon as you drive off the lot you have lost hundreds and maybe a thousand in resale value. A good negotiation tactic is to inquire on both of them and ask if they would lower their price for two reasons:
1) Price isnt that low from MSRP (for the $600 difference between their asking price and MSRP, you would just buy a brand new bike. What is the incentive to buy their used bike for not much cheaper?).
2) There are other used options in same same price bracket so why would I choose yours over the others? (What is the price incentive to buy your used bike vs. other similar priced used bikes?)

Good luck, let us know how it works out for you

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Global Moderator

I would probably stretch the budget and buy spankin' new in the color you want. The bikes you mention are comparable on paper. Like @easternkayaker says, the YES warranty period is weird). If I had to choose between the two, I would visit both and take a good look at the owner.

With $5000 cash (maybe a hundred or two more), one of those guys will sell to you. Your personal taste will determine which is the better value between the two.

I'd go for the one with the pipe, personally.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

dentalprodigy

Thanks a lot for the replies so far everyone. Just wanted to update that I texted both sellers to set a time to see the bike but only heard back from Bike [HASH]2 seller (w/ exhaust). It seems our schedules didn't work out this weekend for me to inspect the bike. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Everyone lists their vehicles higher than what they want to sell it for because they know buyers will want to lower the price. KBB is a good start but make note of what type of mileage they are quoting you for.
Also, aftermarket parts have zero impact on selling price. If they want to get more because they put an exhaust on it tell them to put the stock one back on.

• Premium Member

They both are like new IMO so you save over a grand getting it used, and with that low of miles you don't have to be concerned about anything it still has some warranty so... the reason they are asking what they are is because trade in is 4500 max on these bikes.
Get it home change the oil filter and check the chain or have a shop do it and enjoy.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

Take some friends along with some backup shotguns "ready to go" ;)

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Obviously, black is the new fastest color:
566a1393ad3a22336a30309e.jpg
It will always be worth that much more than the Craigslist bikes, being a year newer, and that color... DAMN!

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

dentalprodigy
id offer 5000 and see who bites!!!!
I'm really tempted to.  I'm terrible at negotiating, and not sure it's a good idea to just shoot a text and abruptly offer almost a grand under what seller is asking.  My strategy was to just inspect the bike in person and then IN PERSON mention that "hey, listen.. there's another identical bike, similar condition, that's the same price.  I'm gonna go w/ which ever one is lowest.  I think 5k is fair".   
I'm planing to see the bike after work on Wednesday afternoon.  I'll update how that goes. 

pineappleunderthesea

If these bikes don't sell in a couple weeks, sellers typically start worrying and start dropping prices. A seller knows that a dealer will give them a very mediocre price for their bike, so there's a lot of room to play with. There are dealers around me selling new 2015's for around $5600, so $6k for a used FZ is way too much.

I'd start at $5k. Search Cycletrader.com to back up your price if you need to show them what these things are going for.

id offer 5000 and see who bites!!!!
I'm really tempted to.  I'm terrible at negotiating, and not sure it's a good idea to just shoot a text and abruptly offer almost a grand under what seller is asking.  My strategy was to just inspect the bike in person and then IN PERSON mention that "hey, listen.. there's another identical bike, similar condition, that's the same price.  I'm gonna go w/ which ever one is lowest.  I think 5k is fair".   
I'm planing to see the bike after work on Wednesday afternoon.  I'll update how that goes. 
Well you never pay asking price period. So they are asking 6000, shoot 5000 and work from there. Most who want to sell will sell, people who are trying to play the field will not sell or bit under what they ask for. But since they did not put a 6000 firm. You have wiggle room. For myself 1000 is my wiggle room. Good luck, hope you get the best price but always remember the price can be sweet but the product can be crap. If they are trying to sell at ur price point and not try to negotiate thats a red flag for me and something is up with the bike. 

dentalprodigy

I've emailed both sellers w/ $5150 and awaiting replies.

On a unrelated note I also found a '14 CB500F on craigslist for $4500 with 864 miles. The CB500F comes with frame sliders, fender eliminator kit, and yoshi. r-77 slipon exhaust. Tempted solely beacuse it's well within my price range.

But anywho, thanks again everyone for the tips. I'll update if I get lucky.

dentalprodigy

Heard back from both sellers. The bike with the ixil exhaust is in the process of being sold this weekend. The first bike with 1300 miles seller responded with a bottom line price of $5900. The first seller is a 46 year old guy who rides with his wife. He has 600 mile service record from dealership as well.

Thoughts? Wait and see for another bike to pop up? What would you do?

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

What did bike [HASH]1 seller say about the bike's YES 48 month warranty only having 11 months left?  This warranty should have at least 3.5 years left or more depending on when they purchased the bike. The $5900 price is still too high even if the 48 month YES warranty is verified to be true.

The 2014 CB500F is a nice bike to start out on, but you may get bored with it after your riding skills improve. If the bike has ABS on it, this adds some value to it, but only if you prefer this feature.

Make sure you get an insurance quote for the FZ-07, CB500F and any other bike you are considering. The FZ-07 is considered a sport bike and insurance may be high depending on your age, driving record, location and other variables.

Heard back from both sellers. The bike with the ixil exhaust is in the process of being sold this weekend. The first bike with 1300 miles seller responded with a bottom line price of $5900. The first seller is a 46 year old guy who rides with his wife. He has 600 mile service record from dealership as well.  
Thoughts? Wait and see for another bike to pop up? What would you do?
Tell them to get back to you when they can come down to $5200....and leave them alone.  One, or both, is likely bluffing.  Time is on your side.  One of them will break in two weeks.  I know you want a bike now, but 6k is WAY too much for a used bike that can be had new for about 1500 more IMHO. 
The 500 you are looking at lacks the punch and fun factor of an FZ.  A friend of mine started on one, and he 'needed' an upgrade 90 days after purchasing it.  It is a solid starter bike.  It is more comparable to an R3 than and FZ-07.  Go ride it and see how it suits you.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

dentalprodigy
What did bike [HASH]1 seller say about the bike's YES 48 month warranty only having 11 months left?  This warranty should have at least 3.5 years left or more depending on when they purchased the bike. The $5900 price is still too high even if the 48 month YES warranty is verified to be true. 
The 2014 CB500F is a nice bike to start out on, but you may get bored with it after your riding skills improve. If the bike has ABS on it, this adds some value to it, but only if you prefer this feature.

Make sure you get an insurance quote for the FZ-07, CB500F and any other bike you are considering. The FZ-07 is considered a sport bike and insurance may be high depending on your age, driving record, location and other variables.

I goofed up when I was understanding the "YES" warranty.  Seller #1 purchased the warranty (w/ bike) in March 2015.  So after March 2016 + 48 months extended warranty is still valid.  My math was wrong when I wrongly factored in the warranty becoming effective at the time of purchase whereas it starts AFTER manufacturer's warranty ends (1 yr).   

Getting used to the CB500F and then selling it after a season doesn't appeal to me.  Putting it back up on craigslist and then waiting to recoup the costs just sounds cumbersome to me.  That's why I think I'm just gonna wait for a deal on the FZ-07 on craigslist.  

I think I'll sit tight and wait it out as u/n pantheraleo stated.  I'm in no rush. 

Thanks again for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it

Archived