The MT-07 Forum

Looking to purchase an fz-07!

ltanthonydelgado

ltanthonydelgado

Hey guys, I currently live in southern California and have been thinking for a few years about getting a bike. Well now I have moved a bit further from both my work and family and I feel it is now appropriate for me to get a bike for commute. I have not gotten my bike license, but before you ask yes I have experience riding, not an extensive amount but I have ridden a few bikes, and quads and dirt bikes since I was younger. Freeway riding is something I have no experience in yet. My daily commute consists of ~30 miles to work, an extra 15 miles to my families home and then usually back up home. So on average 45 miles per day. Another reason I feel is appropriate for me to take the step in getting a bike is that I am gifting my car to my daughters mother so she can have reliable transportation as well. This will be my first bike purchase and I would like to know what all do I need to purchase for riding whether it be accessories or gear. Thanks guys look forward to your ideas and responses

First and foremost get good gear, boots, helmet, gloves, pants, and jacket with a good back protector or buy one for the jacket. If it's Cold where you are gonna be riding get warm gloves if it's in the 50s F. If it's below that look at heated gloves or grips and a hand gaurd otherwise you'll have frozen hands and dislike the ride. As far as accessories because your commuting I'd say windscreen on the fz07 as it helps the buffetinf and prevents fatigue.

Now for the additional just I like these/you'll enjoy these comadities:
Shorty levers, just easier to pull and not as large as the factory ones and look better.
A bluetooth device for your helmet- sena 20s is pretty popular let's you listen to music while your riding and answer calls as well as use GPs. On your phone for directions.
Phone mount - ram mount of some sort search YouTube they are just pretty much the most secure grab a tether silicone for the x grips though for added safety of your phone. Have your phone on your bike so you can glance at directions using it as a GPS and see whose calling use a bluetooth and tadao now hands free calling and talking.
After market exhaust- just for sexy sound.

The added things you won't think of - chain lube and chain cleaner with a chain brush you'll be doing this every 500 miles or so so you might as well get some when you get the bike or plan to later.

I think this is a fairly decent list of everything you'll need/want on any bike as the basics the rest are just dependent on the bike such as luggage, saddle bags, headlight replacement- these depend on the bike.

Forgot the additional rain proof gear or grab proof stuff that goes over your gear. It sucks to ride to work and realize I have no dry cloths.

I think freeway riding in SoCal are some of the safest miles we ride.

I would budget $1000 for riding clothing. Helmet, jacket with armor, pants with armor, gloves, and boots are what I wear.

Dirt riding is what I knew as well. I rode for about two weeks before I started getting on the freeways during non-traffic hours. It was only another week or two until I was comfortable on the freeway in all conditions. The lack of cross traffic and good pavement makes it the safest place to ride.

• Premium Member

Make sure your helmet fits like it should. It's the single most important piece of gear. Don't settle for an inappropriate size because you want a certain graphic/style/etc. Doesn't have to be the most expensive helmet, it just needs to do it's job.

Invest in a rear wheel stand that has the paddles. It will help you clean your chain and work on your bike with more ease.

Archived