The MT-07 Forum

Suspension tuning in Ohio

biggaudi

• Premium Member

As the topic suggests anybody know someone in Ohio, preferably NE Ohio, that could work on it? From what I'm gathering (and feeling) it's mostly the forks that could use work. How much would it set me back?

As the topic suggests anybody know someone in Ohio, preferably NE Ohio, that could work on it? From what I'm gathering (and feeling) it's mostly the forks that could use work. How much would it set me back?
It depends on what you do...

Personally, I'd try springs in the front sized for your weight. That's pretty cheap and fixes most of the suspension issues for the FZ, IMHO. Sonic Springs are like 90 bucks.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

I sell Sonic for $75+ship. I hear there are Post Offices in NE Ohio so all you have to do put the forks in box and send them to me. :)

There's a Suspension section just for this kind of question with a couple hours worth of reading. It's not like you can ride in the snow, right? Or did the storm miss you? http://fz07.org/board/16/yamaha-fz-07-suspension-upgrades

You can go cartridge for less than $500 or spend a lot more.
http://fz07.org/post/25268/thread
http://fz07.org/post/63258/thread

How much improvement do you want and how fat is your wallet? And how far off 150-170lbs are you as that will influence just how much help is needed. If you want to spend the absolute least then fork springs and some oil for $100. You can do that in your garage or shower. You can even do it with the forks on the bike without too much drama.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

Well saving money is always great. Currently I'm 6'3" and 230lbs. So if I can tune things by springs and oil I'm all about it. I'm not Mr. Handy, but I'm trying to do as much as I can by myself. I'll do some more reading up so I'm not as intimidated.

Sonic springs are decent I take it? And you just switch them out with the stock ones?

Well saving money is always great. Currently I'm 6'3" and 230lbs. So if I can tune things by springs and oil I'm all about it. I'm not Mr. Handy, but I'm trying to do as much as I can by myself. I'll do some more reading up so I'm not as intimidated.  
Sonic springs are decent I take it? And you just switch them out with the stock ones?
I replaced mine with a helping hand from a buddy. It wasn't too bad, and I'm only average with tools. I did one fork at a time and it took just under three hours. I went with the same weight oil. I think that I did have to cut new preload spacers with the new springs, but that wasn't any great trouble.

It's nice not to nose dive when I brake.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

PVC is cheap, but it also comes with a spring order. Springs are springs. There isn't a lick of useful difference between Sonic or Racetech or Traxxion with the exception that the latter two claim to measure "often" and have "tighter" tolerances but unless you measure them yourself it's an article of faith. Is the statement worth an easy 40% premium? You decide. Sonic has been very successful with skillions sold.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

If you're near Cleveland, try Madmoto on Berea Rd as they specialize on Japanese bikes and could install a fork kit for you.  I bought a Race Tech gold valve kit through them as they're a dealer and had Mark install it.  I did soften the valve spring setting one turn after riding it a while and that seems to work better for me.  5'`10"  170 lbs.  Great guys and very capable.  

If you're near Cleveland, try Madmoto on Berea Rd as they specialize on Japanese bikes and could install a fork kit for you.  I bought a Race Tech gold valve kit through them as they're a dealer and had Mark install it.  I did soften the valve spring setting one turn after riding it a while and that seems to work better for me.  5'`10"  170 lbs.  Great guys and very capable.  

@baxtersit what city? Google is failing me.

Archived