The MT-07 Forum

Thinking about picking up a different bike

yamahappy74

Yeah, I test rode 7 bikes before I bought this one.  
I'm interviewing the owner as much as testing the bike. If the owners house is clean, +1. If the owners car is kept clean and is in good order, +1, etc. I walked away from a great looking bike because I thought the seller was sketchy and lying about maintenance...
Good advice. I'll keep that in mind. The CBR I've been eyeballing is at a dealer that bought my '08 Striple last year, which allowed me to buy my FZ. Good people.

That CL listing will probably knock 500+ off his price ESPECIALLY if you have cash...

It also looks like a good bike. '07 was a good year. That bike is virtually identical to my 2011, with fewer of the fueling restrictions on the ECU mine has.

Happy Hunting!

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

R6S? Isn't that a previous gen detuned R6? Haven't kept up on the recent models, don't know.
The YZF-R6S was sold in the USA for the 2006-2009 model years. It was a renamed 2003-2004 model YZF-R6 that was sold along side the then-new 2006 YZF-R6 as a cheaper alternative.
So, it was the previous generation YZF-R6.

Yeah, it was a bit confusing having two YZF-R6 models in the line, but it was a marketing move as done by Kawasaki
over the years with having more than one model called ZX-6 in their line.

Being that it's a sport bike and at @19k miles it's probably had the piss ran out of it so IMO it's not worth the $$$ they're asking. Are you getting rid of the FZ-07?

Update: I should've said I wouldn't buy it without having it checked out first because although the bike may typically last much longer than that and still run good, no one knows just how this person treated/serviced his bike so therefore tests should be run to determine any loss in compression, etc. but don't take my word for it.

www.enginebuildermag.com/2007/02/pistons-rings-details-every-engine-builder-should-know/

Beemer

• Premium Member

I haven't decided for sure if I'm getting rid of the FZ yet. It's up in the air. I enjoy the bike, but not like I did when I was riding my R6. It's just not the same. I realize the utility of the FZ is better, but I guess I feel like if I'm not having as much fun, then I'm on the wrong bike. It's not about doing 100+ mph on it all the time; it's how I feel when I'm on it. So right now, I'm leaning toward getting rid of it, not because it's not a great bike, but because I can't afford, nor do I have the space for 2.

• Global Moderator

I bought my bike entirely for fun and so far I am having a blast on it. If you are not then getting a different bike is probably a good idea. Everyone is different. Let us know what you decide to do.

• Premium Member
R6S? Isn't that a previous gen detuned R6? Haven't kept up on the recent models, don't know.
It's the same model I had back in '04 and I loved it. It was pretty comfortable for long rides too, actually. 122hp and 357lbs. Felt like riding a pedal bike, it was so light. Going rate seems to be between $3500 and $5000 depending on year and mileage.  

I haven't decided for sure if I'm getting rid of the FZ yet. It's up in the air. I enjoy the bike, but not like I did when I was riding my R6. It's just not the same. I realize the utility of the FZ is better, but I guess I feel like if I'm not having as much fun, then I'm on the wrong bike. It's not about doing 100+ mph on it all the time; it's how I feel when I'm on it. So right now, I'm leaning toward getting rid of it, not because it's not a great bike, but because I can't afford, nor do I have the space for 2.
Given those circumstances you describe, it seems you are ready for a change.  I bet you will miss the FZ when you sell it, but the good news is....you can always get a used one a year or two from now if you do.  They sold so many last year, I saw them on CL, etc. a fair amount while I was shopping for my second bike.   
You can expect a healthy secondary market on the FZ-07 for a few years, maybe more.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Archived