The MT-07 Forum

Thinking about picking up a different bike

yamahappy74

• Premium Member

I found a 2001 red/white CBR 600 F4i for $3,500. The thing is pretty mint with 19,000 miles. I always loved these bikes and I really wanted a red/white one before I got this bike. I guess at this point, what it comes down to, is me being really partial to sport bikes. I can't afford two bikes, and this would cut my payments in half. Still, 19,000 miles seems like a lot and I'd hate to pick it up and then find that the engine wasn't going to last much longer. Obviously that's a lot of miles, but is it too many? If it's well taken care of, what am I looking at here? New rings? Engine rebore? Fork seals? Should I just forget it?
Here it is:
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Simply-Street-Bikes-2889104/listing/2001-Honda-CBR600F4i-115596195

Being that it's a sport bike and at @19k miles it's probably had the piss ran out of it so IMO it's not worth the $$$ they're asking. Are you getting rid of the FZ-07?

Updated 1/31 ....

Beemer

• Premium Member

Sport bikes are built to have the piss ran out of them without issues. I have a buddy that has a 2011 CBR600 with 33k miles on it and it runs awesome. It will depend on how well the maintenance is maintained on the bike. If it looks good to you then I don't see an issue with the price. Don't ever think that anyone selling a sport bike road it around like driving miss daisy. I have a Ninja 300 and I'm practically redlining that thing all the time in the canyons.

• Premium Member
I found a 2001 red/white CBR 600 F4i for $3,500. The thing is pretty mint with 19,000 miles. I always loved these bikes and I really wanted a red/white one before I got this bike. I guess at this point, what it comes down to, is me being really partial to sport bikes. I can't afford two bikes, and this would cut my payments in half. Still, 19,000 miles seems like a lot and I'd hate to pick it up and then find that the engine wasn't going to last much longer. Obviously that's a lot of miles, but is it too many? If it's well taken care of, what am I looking at here? New rings? Engine rebore? Fork seals? Should I just forget it? Here it is:
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Simply-Street-Bikes-2889104/listing/2001-Honda-CBR600F4i-115596195

My Fizz has close to 18,000 miles and runs just as good if not better than the day it was born. I'm punctual with my maintenance and generally thorough in all aspects of my bike.

Edit: run a compression test on the bike you're interested in. If the head gasket, rings or valve seals are heavily worn, compression will be lost. You'll need a baseline to check it against. I'm sure you can find that info online.

Don't have a compression gauge? About 100 bones give or take. If you want to borrow one, cover the shipping and I'll loan you mine.

Everything went braap.

I have 45k on my r1. Ran the shyt out of it and it's still going strong. Funny though, I went from a Superbike to the fz07, people with fz07 want a Superbike lol we are never satisfied haha

Very nice bike
I wouldnt worry about that milage, CBR600 F4's are bullet proof, they have been know to do well over 150,000 miles it they are well looked after, the engines are brilliant. Theres very few common issues with them and you will be hard pressed to find a bad review. I was looking at these myself and a friend of mine has one. Parts are also very cheap.

It will desperately be overdue for fork and shock service. Send the shock to NorWest and the forks to me - I'll overhaul and revalve it. But sure you wouldn't rather stay in the warm embrace of this forum instead?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I honestly miss the sound and feel of a 4 cylinder, and I REALLY miss my R6. Granted, it's not comfortable for long, all day rides, but I don't ever get to do that anyway. It's pretty much just for going back and forth to work. I love my FZ-07, but it's costing me $165 a month; things are getting tight. Like I said, I could sell my bike, use the difference from my loan as a down payment, and get this CBR for a little over $3000 which would cut my payment in half. Of course, it's possible, thanks to the stupid insurance companies, that any savings could be negated by the cost of insuring the thing. I will never understand why it costs so much for a 41 year old to insure a sport bike. It's not even a liter bike. I don't know...it might be more trouble than it's worth. But this itch just won't go away.

I'm not sure what I'll do. I have to have a bike. I have to. I went ten years without one and I'm not doing that again. It's just that the FZ-07, while a great bike....is missing something. It has its moments, but I ALWAYS had a grin on my face riding my R6. It's just not like that on this bike. I feel that way mostly when I get the front tire up, which is not conducive to retaining my license. My first rocket was a new '93 FZR600, and then it was a new '03 R6. I liked the '08 Street Triple but it wasn't the same as a rocket, and I feel the same way about the FZ-07.
I was considering this one as well:
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Simply-Street-Bikes-2889104/listing/2005-Yamaha-YZF-R6-116852926

note to self: if looking for low mile bikes, go to MN.

That R6 has been seriously lowered. It's probably just a matter of a set of dog bones and pushing those forks back down the 2+ inches they are sticking up but it would be good to ask.

As to insurance, don't carry collision or go to I think it was State Farm (or AllState?) that didn't (used to) gouge for sport bikes.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

AlbatrossCafe
I found a 2001 red/white CBR 600 F4i for $3,500. The thing is pretty mint with 19,000 miles.
FYI my first bike was a 2005 CBR 600 F4i. I bought it in 2008 with 8,300 miles for $5,700. I had it for 3.5 years, laid it down once at around 10mph in an oil slick, got about 4 speeding tickets and a misdemeanor for eluding police, dropped it in my gravel driveway, put new all new fiberglass fairings on it with custom 1-tone paint. 
I sold it in 2011 with about 28,000 miles for $3,500 I believe. I rode that baby pretty hard in wheat farming country of Eastern Washington. Every sunny weekend at school there I would take it out and go 80mph+ fairly consistently on farm roads. But it never gave out or even showed signs of going out on me mechanically. Super tough bike.

I would say $3,500 is a bit much. Even though it is nice condition (and looks to be very stock), it is still a 15 year old bike at this point. I would shoot for no more than $3000. If it were up to me, I would recommend a 2004-2006. There were a decent amount of upgrades to the bike between 01 and then. The most noticeable is the seat which was super comfortable for being on a supersport bike. The '05 has a red and silver that is similar?

Anyway, I hear ya man... the FZ-07 is a great bike but I don't think it will ever be as fun as my old F4i. The FZ just doesn't have quite the high-end speed that really puts a smile on my face. That being said, I live in an urban area now and am glad I have the FZ over an inline-4 600, or I would be in jail again! lol

Here is my old friend before I put on new fairings:
http://i.imgur.com/J51YCNi.jpg

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I would stay stick whatever bike you like the most. I personally would say keep both if you can but I'm a bad example as I have more toys than I can count.

As for insurance I think the fz07/09 are just about the most expensive. The Z1000 is 1/4 of what the fz07 costs, same insurance company, coverage, and rider.

I would stay stick whatever bike you like the most. I personally would say keep both if you can but I'm a bad example as I have more toys than I can count.  
As for insurance I think the fz07/09 are just about the most expensive. The Z1000 is 1/4 of what the fz07 costs, same insurance company, coverage, and rider.
Crazy enough, I was paying more for insurance on my 2001 R1 than this fz07

• Premium Member
I would say $3,500 is a bit much. Even though it is nice condition (and looks to be very stock), it is still a 15 year old bike at this point. I would shoot for no more than $3000. If it were up to me, I would recommend a 2004-2006. There were a decent amount of upgrades to the bike between 01 and then. The most noticeable is the seat which was super comfortable for being on a supersport bike. The '05 has a red and silver that is similar?

This is an '06 I was looking at: http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Simply-Street-Bikes-2889104/listing/2006-Honda-CBR600F4i-115134414

I think the most frustrating thing for me is that I have almost no disposable income to use for upgrades. I would like a lower sub-cowl, exhaust, suspension upgrades, clip-ons, etc. but I have no idea when or if I'll ever be able to get any of that in the next several years. So as far as making the bike "my own", I don't see it happening any time soon. So then I start thinking about maybe getting a bike that's closer to what I want it to be from jump. This is ALL speculation on my part. At the very least, I'm keeping this bike so I have one. It's still a blast to ride. It just isn't exactly what I prefer. I have nothing bad to say about the FZ-07; it's a worthy purchase for anyone. It just isn't scratching a certain itch.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I have 45k on my r1. Ran the shyt out of it and it's still going strong. Funny though, I went from a Superbike to the fz07, people with fz07 want a Superbike lol we are never satisfied haha
I want both. Gonna keep my FZ for commuting and buying the new R1 hopefully next year as my pride and joy haha.

SigSide.jpg

I want both. Gonna keep my FZ for commuting and buying the new R1 hopefully next year as my pride and joy haha.
That's exactly what I did, fz is for commute (100 miles a day) and r1 for fun ☺

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Dude 19k miles is low in my opinion. You should be fine. If anything have it taken in to do a check up for sale and then if it's clear, buy it.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

I just checked insurance. Turns out, I was wrong. For a 2006 CBR 600 F4i, it's over $100 cheaper a year to insure than the FZ-07, mostly due to the age. The gears are turning....

I just checked insurance. Turns out, I was wrong. For a 2006 CDR600, it's over $100 cheaper a year to insure than the FZ-07, mostly due to the age. The gears are turning....
Is there any way u can save up? What I did, while I'm on my fz, is drop my R1 insurance down from full coverage to liability, it literally dropped my R1 monthly payments to $16/mo. Very affordable while it's parked. Then u can have both bikes?

Below is a thread from 2010, he crossed 300k miles last year, takes it on the track, still going. Not sure on the history, but I know of at least two other guys with over 100k on their F4i's.

http://www.soflasportbikes.com/forum/general-motorcycle-discussion/227294-well-im-happy-say-my-bike-i-have-made-200-000-mile-mark.html

I just bought a 2011 R6 with 1600 miles on it for $5500. I bet you can get that bike you're looking at for a lot less. My seller dropped his price by $1000. Negotiate hard, you could save a bundle. My insurance on the R6 is lower, too, BTW.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

I'm looking at private sellers now instead of dealers. Cheaper prices, although it's a judgement call as to whether they're in better shape.
Yeah, I test rode 7 bikes before I bought this one.

I'm interviewing the owner as much as testing the bike. If the owners house is clean, +1. If the owners car is kept clean and is in good order, +1, etc. I walked away from a great looking bike because I thought the seller was sketchy and lying about maintenance...

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member
I'm looking at private sellers now instead of dealers. Cheaper prices, although it's a judgement call as to whether they're in better shape.
Yeah, I test rode 7 bikes before I bought this one.  
I'm interviewing the owner as much as testing the bike. If the owners house is clean, +1. If the owners car is kept clean and is in good order, +1, etc. I walked away from a great looking bike because I thought the seller was sketchy and lying about maintenance...
Good advice. I'll keep that in mind. The CBR I've been eyeballing is at a dealer that bought my '08 Striple last year, which allowed me to buy my FZ. Good people.

Archived