The MT-07 Forum

Bar end anything causing the throttle to stick.

caliesv

So... I ordered some lever guards. They came in the mail, I installed them. Then cried. I totally forgot about stuff like this making the throttle stick. So laying in bed browsing expensive parts to resolve this issue, I came up with an idea. Ran into the garage at 1030pm and tried it. 1/2 inch emt conduit... Why not?

I needed a spacer of some sort. And I had some conduit laying around. Didn't know how well it would work though.

I put a "long" piece of conduit into the side of the empty bar end pushed it in till it hit the inside and marked the conduit just slightly longer than the grip then used a hacksaw to cut my little piece off.

This is the size I came out with.

e61459643e782b648f3c77ea6d7bc332.jpg8cd213612b06c59f3c8d3e3feb5ad18a.jpg

... Mind you, I took pics after the initial install, second time around while I was adding my locktite.

This is how much it protruded out of the bar end... c9638df8d242822087ae5f10712b3c61.jpg

Just put it in, easy as pie. 6acc9a72a59061a1bfc1293ed1911c2d.jpg

Then tighten/install your part. It actually worked out very well for me. Everything tightened up as intended. af4e6766813674cf713665082d84388b.jpgaca22978c8b4652f9724c5af6224f7e0.jpgfa7090a4a59cc11291dd30ed898d955b.jpg

I did this on both sides because the lever guard was pushing my left grip into itself causing a hump when I would tighten it down.

Hope this helps!

So you basically made your own stand-off, that's cool! Have any experience with Dremel's? I bought one awhile back and haven't used it yet but I was wondering if it can cut thru pipe like that easily. I'm sure it can if it's pvc. Anyone???

Beemer

So you basically made your own stand-off, that's cool! Have any experience with Dremel's? I bought one awhile back and haven't used it yet but I was wondering if it can cut thru pipe like that easily. I'm sure it can if it's pvc. Anyone???

I have a dremel. Cool little tool. They have attachments for almost anything u can think of. I just used a hand hacksaw for this. Emt conduit is relatively soft. But a dremel with a cutting wheel would work too. ☺

It will cut it no problem. Just Don't use the tiny cutoff wheels that are held on by a screw. Those like to shatter and fly everywhere. Get the larger Ez twist on type.
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-EZ688-01-Cutting-Metal-Plastic/dp/B002Q8T4OM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453749263&sr=8-2&keywords=Dremel+cutoff

It will cut it no problem. Just Don't use the tiny cutoff wheels that are held on by a screw. Those like to shatter and fly everywhere. Get the larger Ez twist on type. http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-EZ688-01-Cutting-Metal-Plastic/dp/B002Q8T4OM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453749263&sr=8-2&keywords=Dremel+cutoff
Roger that, thanks!

Beemer

Archived