The MT-07 Forum

1/4 mile Dragstrip - Test & Tune day

enels57

My first trip to the track since getting rid of the stock exhaust, air filter, and getting the ECU reflashed.

I left all in one piece and pleased with the results.  When adjusted for elevation (3,100) I achieved some consistent 12.2 runs at 109 mph.  Decent considering I weigh in at about 195 on the bike and I am still taking it a bit easy on the launch.  

Weather was mid-70s and very pleasant.  I had a Sonoran hot-dog and a Mexican coke which was probably living more dangerously than racing the bike.

On the furthest left ticket you can see I raced a FZ-09 and it cleaned my clock.  The guy driving it was a real nice guy and I met some really interesting people out there.  A great day in the southwest...

drag%20012316_1.jpg

• Like 6

"Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater" - Iggy Pop

• Global Moderator

You were right with that FZ-09 for the first 60' at least. Those look like some very consistent runs.

• Premium Member

Nice work man! But I have to hate you for the weather. I used a snow blower and shoveled snow for the first half of my day here, then took the kids tobogganing on a hill near my house. No riding for me for a while.

• Like 1

Why can't left turners see us?

Good job! It appears you got a little faster on you last run @ 12.615. Practice those launches and go back there some day, bust that 12 sec. barrier. How did it feel? Were you pretty nervous? I would've been.

Beemer

Guest 2wheeler

I'm very curious... would you go into some detail about how you launched your FZ, as well as what it did in 1st gear and as you shifted into 2nd gear - any wheel spin, and the degree it wheelied?

FWIW, the best times I've seen so far on the FZ-07 has been around 12.1, so you were right in there for sure with it corrected for altitude.

Thanks

I took off the line without spinning the tire or doing a wheelie...the track is so sticky I don't know if you could spin the tire if you tried with the michelin pilot road tires.

I'm sure I can get off the line faster but need to practice keeping my weight as far forward as is safely possible while maintaining throttle and clutch control. It would be very easy to wheelie right off the thing and that is the [HASH]1 event I am trying to avoid.

The rest of the gear shifts are straight forward and though the wheel pops up a little in 2nd and just a touch in 3rd it is very controlled...at least for my weight and shift style.

Shift speeds are more tricky for me ...my thinking is that peak torque is at about 6,500 rpm so that is what I shoot for in 2nd and 3rd. I shift out of first at about 42 and shift out of 2nd at about 58. Shifting into 4th and 5th is still a question...my gut feeling is that I need to shift a little sooner than I have been to maintain acceleration...maybe shift into 4th at about 74 and into 5th at about 90. I suspect I am winding it out a little too far in the upper gears ...but maybe I'm wrong and should wind it up to about 9,000 before shifting in all gears? It would help to have a video camera to go back and look at after experimenting and be able to compare strategies but I don't know if I'll go that route.

I might try again this weekend. It is a lot of fun. There are a lot of way faster bikes and cars there but it is fun to beat the occasional camero, mustang, cuda, etc. Probably the coolest part is to be the next off the line behind a full-blown dragster....it's the best seat in the house to see that kind of action

• Like 1

"Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater" - Iggy Pop

Guest 2wheeler

Very cool - Thanks much for describing your launch!

I would also see it as VERY easy to flip the FZ on launch if one is not careful. Not something I want to do either!

• Like 1

You might find this dyno graph helpful: 

I find that taching high & slipping the clutch is best for a fast, controlled, hole shot without pulling the tire up. Sounds like that's what you did (12.2), maybe. Your guess at the peak torque was spot on! Just curious, do you stay on the gas when you shift, do you let off or do you shift without using the clutch? Also, I'm thinking that once you have your speed up torque won't be as big a factor as h.p. (just a guess) so maybe it's best to gauge by the h.p. in 4th/5th gears and wind it out to peak h.p. (8.75 rpm) and then shift to get peak performance.... ???  You're doing very well already but if you're looking to shave off a 100th or so ....
  • Like 1

Beemer

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Took her down to test and tune @ US 131 dragstrip :D
Only got 5 passes in... Temps were low 40°f... all 2nd gear starts, finished in 5th gear...

Last 2 best passes back to back was a 12.46 & 12.52sec in the 1/4 mile...
First 3 avg was 12.8 secs -_- 

[attachment id=1689" thumbnail="1]

I lean forward at start...feet are back towards tire on  tip toes..as soon as the last yellow light goes off I'm taking off...   my feet are almost back on pegs pretty quick to be ready to shift...I speed shift...only using clutch to take off in 2nd gear...I don't mind if the front end comes up a Lil bit on starts.. I need to mount a shift light because I very rarely look down at instrument Guage as I rely on the feeling of the bike vibrations to tell me when to shift,so I get better shift timing...I really wish the track was not so ACME grade sticky , but rather reg ole road surface.I feel way more confident doing starts. ..

• Like 2

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

[attachment id=1690" thumbnail="1]Last day...made a 7.94 sec in 1/8 mile due to track safety since it was only 5-6 degree above freezing

• Like 2

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

My thoughts are the fz-07 just runs outta steam just after the 1/8 mile... if one can pull high 7.90 sec 1/8 mile times...the end time should be in the mid-high 11.90 secs in 1/4mile hypothetically... after looking at a few sprocket simulators online I found the stock sprocket combo(16/43) pretty much hits the simulation 105mph in 1/4 mile pretty just about each time slip I could find online, which i think is too slow by 10-15mph to hit the 11.90 mark...I know this bike was not made for speed records, it's a 385# urban traffic assault vehicle...when I upgrade my chain to the 520 size I will get a 16 and 17 front sprocket and a 43 rear sprocket...the 17/43 combo will give me about 7% more speed...a 16/41 combo is about 4% more speed for example...I wanna see what she will do with a 17/43 combo, if I don't like it, I will go 16/43 with an extra link longer than OEM if I can to get a Lil extra wheel base..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
howworkclutch
I took off the line without spinning the tire or doing a wheelie...the track is so sticky I don't know if you could spin the tire if you tried with the michelin pilot road tires. 
I'm sure I can get off the line faster but need to practice keeping my weight as far forward as is safely possible while maintaining throttle and clutch control. It would be very easy to wheelie right off the thing and that is the [HASH]1 event I am trying to avoid.

The rest of the gear shifts are straight forward and though the wheel pops up a little in 2nd and just a touch in 3rd it is very controlled...at least for my weight and shift style.

wheel spin isn't going to be a problem. the bike doesn't have the grunt for that.

run the rear tire at about 24lbs and get rid of all pre-load in the rear shock.  don't worry about learning over the front end. if softening the rear somehow still produces un-managable wheelies, get a ratchet strap and compress the front end.

your primary concern is having your toe under the shifter before you launch: second gear comes pretty quick.

dont launch in second.

this bike moves pretty quick in the 1/8th. thats where all real drag racing happens anyway. anyone can pilot a fast-moving bike in the last-half of the track, but the guy with 1/8th-mile skill will always when (both bikes being equal).

i raced at rockingham a few weeks ago. it was 50's style bs. no trees. just a scantily clad skank dropping her arms to signal go. i spent the entire weekend ignoring the racing and focusing on variables.  best launch was high-rpm first gear with soft rear suspension.  a little wheelie is fine just hammer-on and ride it out.  back out of the throttle just long enough to up-shift and forget about the clutch.

racing this bike is so much easier than the brute i used to race. i think its right in the sweet-spot for someone getting into drag racing, power-wise.

• Like 2

-HowWorkClutch

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
On 7/4/2016 at 8:30 AM, howworkclutch said:

wheel spin isn't going to be a problem. the bike doesn't have the grunt for that.

run the rear tire at about 24lbs and get rid of all pre-load in the rear shock.  don't worry about learning over the front end. if softening the rear somehow still produces un-managable wheelies, get a ratchet strap and compress the front end.

your primary concern is having your toe under the shifter before you launch: second gear comes pretty quick.

dont launch in second.

this bike moves pretty quick in the 1/8th. thats where all real drag racing happens anyway. anyone can pilot a fast-moving bike in the last-half of the track, but the guy with 1/8th-mile skill will always when (both bikes being equal).

i raced at rockingham a few weeks ago. it was 50's style bs. no trees. just a scantily clad skank dropping her arms to signal go. i spent the entire weekend ignoring the racing and focusing on variables.  best launch was high-rpm first gear with soft rear suspension.  a little wheelie is fine just hammer-on and ride it out.  back out of the throttle just long enough to up-shift and forget about the clutch.

racing this bike is so much easier than the brute i used to race. i think its right in the sweet-spot for someone getting into drag racing, power-wise.

I know I’m posting real late on this but for the whole getting your toe under the shifter for second, I’ve seen guys switch to reverse shifting or gp shifting (whichever you wanna call it) so the can just smash it down as fast as they need to. Probably unnecessary but it worked for them.

Edited by bakamoto
Miss spelled a word
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bakamoto said:

I know I’m posting real late on this but for the whole getting your toe under the shifter for second, I’ve seen guys switch to reverse shifting or go shifting (whichever you wanna call it) so the can just smash it down as fast as they need to. Probably unnecessary but it worked for them.

HOLY THREAD RESER-ERECTION
I have a jet engine on mine, no need to shift, Imeana hey f a thread is going to come back alive after 2 years, Imma gonna make it come alive

I also do Knicker-Knaks (those are reverse Knak-Knaks) while doing wheelies for miles on the front wheel.

Edited by r1limited

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, r1limited said:

I have a jet engine on mine, no need to shift, Imeana hey f a thread is going to come back alive after 2 years, Imma gonna make it come alive

I also do Knicker-Knaks (those are reverse Knak-Knaks) while doing wheelies for miles on the front wheel.

lmfao might have to swap to one of those. you using an F-16 or maybe an F-22? Not sure which jet engine would be easiest to swap onto a 400 pound bike.   Should I attach some small wings?

On 4/20/2018 at 10:09 PM, bakamoto said:

lmfao might have to swap to one of those. you using an F-16 or maybe an F-22? Not sure which jet engine would be easiest to swap onto a 400 pound bike.   Should I attach some small wings?

Hes using an Air Hogs engine.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Air-Hogs-Sonic-Rocket-High-flying-Motorized-Rocket/829455820

• Like 1

Beemer

On 4/23/2018 at 8:23 AM, Beemer said:

No Way, Natural occurring Nitro-MethanSulfur Dioxide pressurized through a glutious minimus which produces turbulence in the Maximus tube with a rising factor of 12 for each natural gluten free organic boorito

Edited by sorkyah
had to get your fuel correct.... it was buggin me
  • Like 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, r1limited said:

No Way, Natural occurring Nitro-Methan pressurized through a glutious minimus which produces turbulence in the Maximus tube with a rising factor of 12 for each natural gluten free organic boorito

Lmfao what have we done to this thread

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
howworkclutch
On 4/20/2018 at 5:33 PM, r1limited said:

thats easy for you but i'm poor so i have to invert the femto-ergonomics into the prefabulated reciprocation mode and mass-adjust for the resulting cabulated near-fumbler. with a mild adjustment to the crank inertial vampulators i'm seeing a 32% increase in dangle emitters. likewise, a decrease in angular electron forces.

• Like 2

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, howworkclutch said:

thats easy for you but i'm poor so i have to invert the femto-ergonomics into the prefabulated reciprocation mode and mass-adjust for the resulting cabulated near-fumbler. with a mild adjustment to the crank inertial vampulators i'm seeing a 32% increase in dangle emitters. likewise, a decrease in angular electron forces.

@r1limited - is that you with a second account? 🤣

• Haha 1

@i28oh hellz nose I spelt chekz, thatz a poser wishin they was me

Happinz all da timz

Edited by r1limited
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/18/2016 at 10:35 AM, norcal616 said:

My thoughts are the fz-07 just runs outta steam just after the 1/8 mile... if one can pull high 7.90 sec 1/8 mile times...the end time should be in the mid-high 11.90 secs in 1/4mile hypothetically... after looking at a few sprocket simulators online I found the stock sprocket combo(16/43) pretty much hits the simulation 105mph in 1/4 mile pretty just about each time slip I could find online, which i think is too slow by 10-15mph to hit the 11.90 mark...I know this bike was not made for speed records, it's a 385# urban traffic assault vehicle...when I upgrade my chain to the 520 size I will get a 16 and 17 front sprocket and a 43 rear sprocket...the 17/43 combo will give me about 7% more speed...a 16/41 combo is about 4% more speed for example...I wanna see what she will do with a 17/43 combo, if I don't like it, I will go 16/43 with an extra link longer than OEM if I can to get a Lil extra wheel base..

I ran in my Mt07 10.70@120mph

• Like 1