The MT-07 Forum

Led secondary light?

churchxd

Man those LED bulbs are expensive. I bought a pair of knock offs eBay led's for a buck. It's not like the running light improves visibility.

• Global Moderator

I got them from Auto Zone for $5. The license plate light is the same bulb as the aux light.

• Premium Member

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

AlbatrossCafe
I got this one in "cool white": https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/ 

Little cheaper than the above and accomplishes pretty much the same purpose. I can't be sure but I would think that the the difference in brightness between these 2 is going to be very marginal, especially considering the Cyclops will overpower the running light anyway.

• Premium Member
I got this one in "cool white": https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/ 

Little cheaper than the above and accomplishes pretty much the same purpose. I can't be sure but I would think that the the difference in brightness between these 2 is going to be very marginal, especially considering the Cyclops will overpower the running light anyway.

This is true. To be honest I dont really see the point of this little light aside from stylish looks. I hope this brand of bulb lasts. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

You're right, I checked out the specs on both and the difference between the two are marginal. In white light, the $12.95 bulb uses 9 led's, puts out 10-15 watts and lasts up to 40,000 hrs. The $5.95 bulb uses 5 led's, puts out 5-10 watts and lasts 30,00 hrs. Either bulb will be visible before the main headlight (Cyclops) comes on but next to an operating headlight forget it. You won't even know it's there or on-comer's won't notice. I got the 9 led bulb in green for mine in hopes of getting noticed more for safety reasons and because it looks cool. I tested mine and stood about 40 ft. away and a little to the left from center of mine (where an on-coming driver would be and looking at it and the green light was barely noticeable. Moving in closer to around 20 ft. and it starts to stand out/grab attention so at 35 mph. or even less it's not going to make you any safer. It would have to be up around 100 or more watts to help make you safer at low speeds. It does help to get more looks when I first turn the key and all that's lit up is the green light. 

Beemer

Archived