The MT-07 Forum

Gas leak - mpg down 30%

sguerrero

I asked about California thinking that maybe those bikes have a carbon evap canister. If the canister gets more than vapors (raw fuel) - from an overfill or maybe even a tip-over, fuel will slowly drip out as they get hot and see some pressure from vapors in the tank

There as got to be a problem, blocked breathers pipes pinched something like that,
check any connections the dealer should sort this talk to them again.

There as got to be a problem, blocked breathers pipes pinched something like that, check any connections the dealer should sort this talk to them again.
yep. It shouldn't be dripping fuel - even if the tank is full. 

There as got to be a problem, blocked breathers pipes pinched something like that, check any connections the dealer should sort this talk to them again.
yep. It shouldn't be dripping fuel - even if the tank is full. 
Agreed, ask the mechanic at the dealership if his bike drips all the time like yours does. It's abnormal. Show him this pic, maybe then he will understand. 
[attachment id=1376" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

Here is another experiment. I took a pic when the dripping and evaporating was intense under direct sunlight.

272c389f8d74b85de9a42e9aa181c2f3.jpg

The I opened the tank cap for a couple of minutes.... And the dripping and evaporating stopped ...u
You can see the decrease of fuel in the hose.

e7b664e1b1653d3c050d3cafd52f2f95.jpg

I'll ask again - are you in California?

If so, I'm pretty sure you have a charcoal evap canister between that vent to outlet and gas cap. If the tank has been overfilled at some point or the bike has (unfortunately) been on its side, that canister will have raw fuel in it that will be pushed out with pressure built up in the tank from being out in the sun.

Other than that, guess it's possible that vapors from the tank are condensing in that tube and forming drips. Gonna have to look some day when it's a bit warmer than 10F outside. Never noticed this on any of my previous bikes with vented systems like this

Either way, that amount of fuel lost isn't gonna change yer mileage even 1%

I'll ask again - are you in California?  
If so, I'm pretty sure you have a charcoal evap canister between that vent to outlet and gas cap. If the tank has been overfilled at some point or the bike has (unfortunately) been on its side, that canister will have raw fuel in it that will be pushed out with pressure built up in the tank from being out in the sun.

Other than that, guess it's possible that vapors from the tank are condensing in that tube and forming drips. Gonna have to look some day when it's a bit warmer than 10F outside. Never noticed this on any of my previous bikes with vented systems like this

Either way, that amount of fuel lost isn't gonna change yer mileage even 1%
Sorry...I missed your question. No, I'm not. I'm in Guadalajara Mexico.

• Global Moderator
Well how can I fix it?
Tell the tech
theres definitely something wrong

there shouldnt be any kind of emission restrictions on his bike. the mexican version is the same as the federal us standar

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Here is another experiment. I took a pic when the dripping and evaporating was intense under direct sunlight.  

The I opened the tank cap for a couple of minutes.... And the dripping and evaporating stopped ...u

This makes me think that there's a vent hose plugged up.  Just a thought.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Do you hear anything when it's doing it? mine makes
a sort of quiet intermittent buzz if left in very hot weather
especially when the engine is hot it's the tank vent
system working but it does not drip fuel anywhere.

Do you hear anything when it's doing it? mine makes a sort of quiet intermittent buzz if left in very hot weather
especially when the engine is hot it's the tank vent
system working but it does not drip fuel anywhere.
No. Not really.

This makes me think that there's a vent hose plugged up.  Just a thought.

Archived