The MT-07 Forum

Neat USB charging solution.

cndnmax

I just received this USB charger that plugs directly into the sae connector of your battery tender lead! It's made by Motobatt and it's only $6 with free shipping from here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2072NG2104&FM=1br]
The USB connector is a little bigger than I expected but it has an output of 2.1amp. That is pretty much the max that a USB 2.0 can utilize, Therefore, it will be able to charge any phone/tablet/gps/camera you have. Both ends have a "weather resistant" cover so you should be able to mount it where you want, I just stuck mine under the seat.

fooschnickens
Oh man, with a longer cable that'd be perfect!
or, you could just get a longer USB cable ;)
I have cables that are plenty long enough, but I wouldn't want to carry multiple long cables for different plug types. :P

I have this installed long time ago. FYI: the one I have has a parasitic draw that will drain the battery in a few days. I'm not sure if mine was a bad unit or they were all like that, just thought that you guys should be aware. Disconnect the pigtail while not in use solved the issue.

I have this installed long time ago. FYI: the one I have has a parasitic draw that will drain the battery in a few days. I'm not sure if mine was a bad unit or they were all like that, just thought that you guys should be aware. Disconnect the pigtail while not in use solved the issue.

I didn't think of this. Your right, any charger or electronics will constantly use power. I measured this one to just under 16mA. I'm not sure what the amp HR capacity of the oem battery is but let's call it 12Ahr- a 16mah load would theoretically take 750 hrs to fully discharge the battery. Now real world is a little different because the bike will use up some power too and you need enough left over to start the bike but most people should be fine unless storing it for long periods.
Keep in mind that this drain will happen with anything that doesn't have a physical disconnect (i.e. Unplugging or ignition switched)

• 1 year later...

Where can you plug that on the fz07. I have the battery tender he that I plug into my cbr but can't find that plug on the fz07

Where can you plug that on the fz07. I have the battery tender he that I plug into my cbr but can't find that plug on the fz07
I just ran my leads back to the battery...this way I can leave the usb connector unplugged and use the lead for the battery tender. 

DSCN1332.jpg

• Premium Member

Another option:
I used this Fused SAE pigtail attached directly to the battery which I ran back under the pillion seat which allows easy access for either charging or quick disconnect to prevent power draw. Then used this 5ft SAE cord to run to the front of the bike following the wiring harness where I then plugged in the quick disconnect USB plug .

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I've had a few different USB charging ports installed and never had any luck out of any of them. When plugged in, the phone would say it was charging, but it would actually discharge the phone battery instead. Any of y'all have issues with that?

I've had a few different USB charging ports installed and never had any luck out of any of them. When plugged in, the phone would say it was charging, but it would actually discharge the phone battery instead. Any of y'all have issues with that?
To be honest, I installed mine for a trip but never used it so I don't know but I'll give it a test and get back to you...if nothing else I'll leave the lead for the tender. 

To be honest, I installed mine for a trip but never used it so I don't know but I'll give it a test and get back to you...if nothing else I'll leave the lead for the tender.
So I plugged in my phone while I was dinking with the bike and the charge went from 52% to 76% in about a half, the bike battery started out at 12.41 volts and dropped to 12.27 volts while charging phone...so far it works...Mark 

So I plugged in my phone while I was dinking with the bike and the charge went from 52% to 76% in about a half, the bike battery started out at 12.41 volts and dropped to 12.27 volts while charging phone...so far it works...Mark

Awesome. Thank you for that.

No problem, I'm glad you asked because now I won't be caught out. I can look and see which one I bought if interested...had to be off amazon or ebay. 

No problem, I'm glad you asked because now I won't be caught out. I can look and see which one I bought if interested...had to be off amazon or ebay.

That would be greatly appreciated if you could! Thank you.

Amazon...Motopower 0609A 5v., 3.1 amp...$9.99 prime
Awesome. Thank you. If you were local I'd owe you lunch. :)
No biggie, just hope yours works ok if you get one and mine keeps working. Where I mounted mine seems to be a decent spot, I used that little mount pad already on the rt. side  by countersinking a center hole in a pc. of 1/8" alum bar stock  for a metric flat head screw (size I forget) and loctiting this to the mount point...I drilled and tapped two outboard holes in the bar to match the ears on the motopower...6-32 screws I think. 

Another option: I used this Fused SAE pigtail attached directly to the battery which I ran back under the pillion seat which allows easy access for either charging or quick disconnect to prevent power draw. Then used this 5ft SAE cord to run to the front of the bike following the wiring harness where I then plugged in the quick disconnect USB plug .
this is actually brilliant for the less mechanically inclined people like myself. i just hooked up the harness today and just ran it under the back seat like you did 

• Premium Member

@phanomenal07 I'm glad you found it as easy to use as I did. :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 10 months later...
On 9/4/2017 at 6:42 AM, DewMan said:

Another option:
I used this Fused SAE pigtail attached directly to the battery which I ran back under the pillion seat which allows easy access for either charging or quick disconnect to prevent power draw. Then used this 5ft SAE cord to run to the front of the bike following the wiring harness where I then plugged in the quick disconnect USB plug .

Has this been working well for you?  Are you able to leave everything connected and not have it kill your battery?

I already have the fused SAE pigtail attached to my battery for storage purposes with the battery Tender, so may as well grab the other cord and plug. I like the size of this plug over the Yamaha accessory plug and I'll have more options for placement. 

Instagram: @jayparrington 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayMT07 said:

Has this been working well for you?  Are you able to leave everything connected and not have it kill your battery?

I already have the fused SAE pigtail attached to my battery for storage purposes with the battery Tender, so may as well grab the other cord and plug. I like the size of this plug over the Yamaha accessory plug and I'll have more options for placement. 

The setup has been working without issue. I've made one change to the setup though. I swapped out the Battery Tender brand USB charging port to This similar USB charger that has two USB ports and shows current battery voltage as well. I did not use any of the wiring that came with the new USB port. I do unplug it from the extension cable due to the LED voltage display between ride. I did not experience any noticed parasitic draw on the Battery Tender  quick disconnect USB port, during the short time I used it, leaving it plugged in.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Archived