The MT-07 Forum

Neat USB charging solution.

cndnmax

topazsparrow
On 9/4/2017 at 6:42 AM, shinyribs said:

I've had a few different USB charging ports installed and never had any luck out of any of them. When plugged in, the phone would say it was charging, but it would actually discharge the phone battery instead. Any of y'all have issues with that?

You have to get ones that are rated for 2.1amps. The cheaper ones are garbage and most smart phones throttle the charge to prevent damage - to the point where they're not charging as fast as they are discharging. It largely depends on the phone at that point.

I have a work phone and a personal phone for instance. The iPhone7 charges or breaks even on crappy chargers. My android phone is picky AF and barely takes 200mA (.2 amps) so it dies while charging if the screen is on.

If you pick up any qualcom quick charge (3.0) rated charging device, you should be good to go. There's a lot of chinese brands that say they have QC3.0 but don't actually, in any event it's the amperage that matters the most.

@topazsparrow That's great info about the amperage. Finding one that works and getting lucky is not the same as knowing what the heck to look for!

I'be been using the one that @markstertt mentioned a few posts up and it has been great. Charges very well.  It's proven itself water and dust-proof after 8k miles and my weekly washing. 

topazsparrow
9 hours ago, shinyribs said:

@topazsparrow That's great info about the amperage. Finding one that works and getting lucky is not the same as knowing what the heck to look for!

I'be been using the one that @markstertt mentioned a few posts up and it has been great. Charges very well.  It's proven itself water and dust-proof after 8k miles and my weekly washing. 

nice!

I just grabbed this one and I'm going to give it a go. 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07F8S9F7P/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

topazsparrow
1 hour ago, DewMan said:

Nice. Where did you plan on mounting it?

Yeah... i have no clue yet. It's possible it might just live under the seat if I can't think of a clean way to mount it behind the flyscreen.

I had one of those usb converters that's the same as the motopower one mentioned previously. I had it connected to the 12v aux power under the rectifier. It worked well until it didnt. Then, I cut it open and took a look at the guts of it.  There was a gaping burnt hole in the chip that indicated it had let the smoke out. The aux power has a 20 amp fuse if I recall so I didn't attach the inline fuse from the kit. I'll try another one with the inline fuse soon to see if its just cheap Chinese components or something in my setup. I did find similar bare usb converter pcb's for $1.99 from china.  Supposedly, Its just too cheap to design a better one.

20180415_140348.jpg

• Global Moderator
13 hours ago, superfishal said:

I had one of those usb converters that's the same as the motopower one mentioned previously. I had it connected to the 12v aux power under the rectifier. It worked well until it didnt. Then, I cut it open and took a look at the guts of it.  There was a gaping burnt hole in the chip that indicated it had let the smoke out. The aux power has a 20 amp fuse if I recall so I didn't attach the inline fuse from the kit. I'll try another one with the inline fuse soon to see if its just cheap Chinese components or something in my setup. I did find similar bare usb converter pcb's for $1.99 from china.  Supposedly, Its just too cheap to design a better one.

20180415_140348.jpg

If you can find a jar of this you should be able to fix it ;)

6E90C6CE-A377-4812-B17C-36AD7ABB8361.jpeg

Archived