The MT-07 Forum

Top Speed limitation

2wheeldynoworks

2wheeldynoworks

Greetings FZ-07 riders! 

I've had a lot of questions about this lately and so I wanted to address it for you all in just a quick little post update! The FZ-07 top speed is limited not by anything in the software, but by the hardware. That means, it just goes as fast as it can go due to power output. When we flash the ecu, we are making the engine run much more efficiently and creating more power, the top speed increases by about 10-15mph simply due to the fact that it's putting out more power! I hope that clears it up for you, but as always feel free to message me with any questions you have.

Thanks, Nels

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Thanks for removing the top speed limiter on the ECU! :P

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Then there is the FZ owns limitations. The FZ becomes very unstable at about 110 mph. Its fine for a quick acceleration to maximum speed, but it becomes very dangerous for any extended time.

• 5 months later...
Then there is the FZ owns limitations. The FZ becomes very unstable at about 110 mph. Its fine for a quick acceleration to maximum speed, but it becomes very dangerous for any extended time.
This was the exact speed that I hit this weekend on a ride out of town that scared the bajeezus outta me.  Watching the front wheel start bouncing side to side while going that fast is not something I plan on doing often (ever).  
Also am beginning to realize just how much this thing beats you up if you don't tuck past like 70. I'm not a huge human so the wind does a number on me. Ha

Fastest I've been on two wheels was over 135 on gxrs/r1s and never had it feel anything remotely close to as sketchy.

• Premium Member

I have hit 125 pretty easily and feel she still has a little more to give. I have a Mātris front end so that helps with making it feel a little more stable out front with that kinda speed. I'm 210 pounds. This bike must fly with you dudes who are 150ish.

I have hit 125 pretty easily and feel she still has a little more to give. I have a Mātris front end so that helps with making it feel a little more stable out front with that kinda speed. I'm 210 pounds. This bike must fly with you dudes who are 150ish.
Yeahhh, I've lost a bunch of weight recently so I don't have a ton of gravity to hold this thing down. Pretty much rode with my chest on the tank and had little success. Maybe I need to look into swapping out some more parts....but at the same time, do I really need to be zipping around that fast? 
During normal city riding however, I love the zero-to-FUtaxicab acceleration. 

• Premium Member
Yeahhh, I've lost a bunch of weight recently so I don't have a ton of gravity to hold this thing down. Pretty much rode with my chest on the tank and had little success. Maybe I need to look into swapping out some more parts....but at the same time, do I really need to be zipping around that fast? 
During normal city riding however, I love the zero-to-FUtaxicab acceleration. 

I've only ever reached these speeds on a track sir! ???
I ride with ear plugs and now the wind blast doesn't seem so violent. I know that sounds silly but if you haven't ridden with ear plugs try it out. It makes the ride SO much more pleasant . And obviously saves your hearing. My yosh pipe is loud enough on its own without 70+ mph wind noise blastin my ear drums too.

Guest Ralph

Luckily over in the UK we must  get the much more stable version.
the two I have ridden have shown no instability, 

:D

When I try to wind it out my revs stop increasing around 9k. I can't max it out in 6th gear. I haven't noticed any increase in top speed from the ecu flash. Everything else is much better. Does this sound odd @2wheeldynoworks ?

I've only ever reached these speeds on a track sir! ??? I ride with ear plugs and now the wind blast doesn't seem so violent. I know that sounds silly but if you haven't ridden with ear plugs try it out. It makes the ride SO much more pleasant . And obviously saves your hearing. My yosh pipe is loud enough on its own without 70+ mph wind noise blastin my ear drums too.

Ohhh yeah, track only....yeah, me too.... :|  
I meant the wind like physically pushing me around, but I do need to add ear plugs to my kit. My helmet is solid and way quieter than some others I've worn, but all that noise can't be good for my ear parts.

AlbatrossCafe
When I try to wind it out my revs stop increasing around 9k. I can't max it out in 6th gear. I haven't noticed any increase in top speed from the ecu flash. Everything else is much better. Does this sound odd @2wheeldynoworks ?
You are drag limited. Wind resistance, in a very simplified form, is proportional to velocity squared, so the drag difference from 80-120 is going to be more than the difference from 0-80, even though your velocity changes by only  half the amount. 
So where the engine in 6th gear can push past the wind easily at 60mph, it is going to have a lot more force to push against at 120mph. This is why you can't go past 9k at very high speeds.

If were on a stationary dyno where there is 0 wind resistance you would probably see that speed go up much higher & past 9k in 6th.

Guest Ralph

If the wind is pushing you around that is likely what is unsettling the bike
rather than any basic instability, a screen my help I have a 330mm one and
though you still feel the wind you don't get any buffeting,

bigdaddybane
This was the exact speed that I hit this weekend on a ride out of town that scared the bajeezus outta me.  Watching the front wheel start bouncing side to side while going that fast is not something I plan on doing often (ever).  
Also am beginning to realize just how much this thing beats you up if you don't tuck past like 70. I'm not a huge human so the wind does a number on me. Ha

Fastest I've been on two wheels was over 135 on gxrs/r1s and never had it feel anything remotely close to as sketchy.
I haven't gone beyond 100mph but I noticed some weird wobble around that speed, remind you this has nothing to do with a wind resistance. Does anyone knows if this is related to front suspension, front end being fairly light or the overall bike dynamics?

The fastest I've gone is 126, and that's only 3mph faster than what I was able to get without the ecu flash. If the claimed 10-15 mph increase is on the dyno only then that makes sense.

• Premium Member
panchobullet
You are drag limited. Wind resistance, in a very simplified form, is proportional to velocity squared, so the drag difference from 80-120 is going to be more than the difference from 0-80, even though your velocity changes by only  half the amount. 
So where the engine in 6th gear can push past the wind easily at 60mph, it is going to have a lot more force to push against at 120mph. This is why you can't go past 9k at very high speeds.

If were on a stationary dyno where there is 0 wind resistance you would probably see that speed go up much higher & past 9k in 6th.

I'm 6'0 & 155 and the maximum speed I was able to pull out so far was 215kmh/134mph... In my case, I didnt feel any bouncing and in most cases I think it will be due wind draging your arms (if you dont have a wind shield) but that's just my guess.

I was planning to do a new post about this but havent had enough time to writte it up, so here is a vid were you can see me going at 215kmh during a trip to the beach. (skip to 6:50 for the top speed part if you dont want to watch the whole thing)

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I haven't gone beyond 100mph but I noticed some weird wobble around that speed, remind you this has nothing to do with a wind resistance. Does anyone knows if this is related to front suspension, front end being fairly light or the overall bike dynamics? 

I get speed wobble here and there, but never any tank slap. When I do get speed wobble, I'm bring my body closer to the tucked position limiting my arm movement and hugging the bike with my legs, therefore bracing the bars to stop the movement. I basically become a stone statue lol.

SigSide.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cool! It must be fun to ride at sea level....I don't get much below 2,500'. Temperature and elevation conspire against me to be able to hit 134, but it makes sense that that is top end....max horsepower occurs right around 9,000 rpm and according to the Gearing Commander site that would put you at 133 with stock gearing.

I felt no instability at 120 while fully tucked in with a medium-small windscreen. At the drag strip it seems totally stable during routine runs up to 110. (the best I've done when actually crossing the line is 107, but I usually stay on it a little longer)

"Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater" - Iggy Pop

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 6'0 & 155 and the maximum speed I was able to pull out so far was 215kmh/134mph... In my case, I didnt feel any bouncing and in most cases I think it will be due wind draging your arms (if you dont have a wind shield) but that's just my guess. 
I was planning to do a new post about this but havent had enough time to writte it up, so here is a vid were you can see me going at 215kmh during a trip to the beach. (skip to 6:50 for the top speed part if you dont want to watch the whole thing)

- Pancho
I do a lot test on my bike, fuel exhaust plus EJK and I cannot go over 125mph ( 201 kmh) how can you go up to that ??? I'm thinking to flash ECU and  using mod intake, but I feel it's very dangerous, unstable. the front wheel seems like cannot handle at that speed. I'm 76kg 

• Premium Member
panchobullet

- Pancho
I do a lot test on my bike, fuel exhaust plus EJK and I cannot go over 125mph ( 201 kmh) how can you go up to that ??? I'm thinking to flash ECU and  using mod intake, but I feel it's very dangerous, unstable. the front wheel seems like cannot handle at that speed. I'm 76kg
I don't know what's your bike setting but I have DNA air filter, PCV and Yoshi exhaust. That combo really improved bike a lot! Plus, Givi screen helps a lot as well to take air drag away and as you could see the bike was really stable. Also replaced battery for a lithium one to reduce some additional weight, but added some weight too with sliders and protection. Don't know if that info would help you much but I hope it does!

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

I am a new rider so I was feeling this instability at 55 to 60 miles per hour.

Since riding more I have gotten used to 55 and 60 mph and now feel unstable around 75 to 80mph.

Will adding a windscreen make it easier you think.

I don't like to speed but on highways I would like to go easily 80mph otherwise the cars are all riding your tail.

bigdaddybane

I'm not a speed demon but I want it to test how bike behaves at higher speeds. A couple of times I felt some wobble around 90mph. I could be totally wrong here but after I removed my Givi windscreen this disappear completely??! On a side note, I tried all this with and without windscreen, fully tucked in ... literally laying on the gas tank.

Archived