The MT-07 Forum

Chain adjustment device

cybmx

• Premium Member

Would be interested to hear -- concept looks sound and kind of idiot proof for setting slack, anyway

• Global Moderator

I'd be willing to try it
Maybe ask a moto mech friend if hed be willing to try it out for me

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

It's cheap enough to try, won't hurt. Just wondering if anyone used it before. Maybe I'll just get one and let you guys know how it goes :)

• Premium Member

@sorkyah Please do report back if you get it. Anything to help save time and do a job well is a good investment in my book.

scordiaboy515

Just watched a video on it....waste of money....chain tension is only half the equation, wheel alignment is the other critical half...and this thing does nothing for that.

Just watched a video on it....waste of money....chain tension is only half the equation, wheel alignment is the other critical half...and this thing does nothing for that.

They never claimed to help you align anything. The idea here is that your wheel is already aligned and you simply tighten both adjusters equally. What this tool does is eliminates the guess work and laying on your side trying to measure the chain slack.

scordiaboy515
They never claimed to help you align anything. The idea here is that your wheel is already aligned and you simply tighten both adjusters equally. What this tool does is eliminates the guess work and laying on your side trying to measure the chain slack.
never said it did.....and it's just so terrible you might have to lay on the ground to adjust your chain......waste of time and money 

• Premium Member
never said it did.....and it's just so terrible you might have to lay on the ground to adjust your chain......waste of time and money
so, don't buy one :)

scordiaboy515
so, don't buy one :)
    Why would I even consider buying one?....it's a joke 

• Premium Member

Went ahead and picked one up. I'll get back with a review and whether it is consistent and accurate.

Went ahead and picked one up. I'll get back with a review and whether it is consistent and accurate.

I just sent them an email to see if they knew what setting would work for the fz07 since the manuals way of measuring chain slack is one of a kind. They responded within minutes on a Sunday. You can test out their recommendation if you'd like.

"Thanks for getting in touch.
It's a very odd dimension that Yamaha have stated which makes setting the chain on your fz07 difficult.
The Yamaha fz07 requires setting one on the Chain Monkey to give you the setting that you require. Simply apply the Chain Monkey and tighten until at setting 1, tighten the chain until it just goes tight and then remove.
Hopefully this helps.

Regards,
Chris F"

• Premium Member

You can test out their recommendation if you'd like.  
"Thanks for getting in touch.
It's a very odd dimension that Yamaha have stated which makes setting the chain on your fz07 difficult.
The Yamaha fz07 requires setting one on the Chain Monkey to give you the setting that you require. Simply apply the Chain Monkey and tighten until at setting 1, tighten the chain until it just goes tight and then remove.
Hopefully this helps.

Regards,
Chris F"

Much thanks for the info! I'll try it when the unit comes.

• Premium Member
Interested.........still not exactly sure how it works.
It's quite simple, really -- it takes a small portion of the chain and pushes it upwards and locks it in place, creating built-in slack.  Then with it on you just pull your chain tight, make sure your wheel is aligned, and lock everything down.  Then when you release the device it releases the little bit of slack it had built into the chain and (in theory) the result is the perfect slack for your chain.

Interested.........still not exactly sure how it works.
It's quite simple, really -- it takes a small portion of the chain and pushes it upwards and locks it in place, creating built-in slack.  Then with it on you just pull your chain tight, make sure your wheel is aligned, and lock everything down.  Then when you release the device it releases the little bit of slack it had built into the chain and (in theory) the result is the perfect slack for your chain.
Makes sense...........may have to give it a try. Most bikes I've owned set range by pushing up and pulling down thou. Would have to play with settings the 1st time and would be a big time saver there after.   

Archived