The MT-07 Forum

Custom Exhaust -- Why?

so1102

I have a very quiet bike the 07 and a very noisy one the Morini
I cant tell any difference it the way I am treated on the road between
the two, ride in a fluorescent jacket and there is a big difference
but it's un cool, so if you rely want to be safer get a fluorescent jacket
if you like hospital food rely on the loud pipe.

You don't have to be fluoro to be seen but you need to contrast with you background and you shape needs to be recognizeable a a motorcycle. That's the opposite of disruptive canmo.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

scordiaboy515

With these choices to choose from.....your missing the point imho.  My analogy is this....would you walk to work everyday with a clothespin on your nose and soda straw in your mouth?  Any internal combustion engine is nothing more than a air pump....the  more air and fuel you allow it to have it will make more hp, be more responsive and be happier.....that's why I will always spend the money on a pipe, air filter and some sort of fc or reflash on any bike I own....of course will sound better and there will be a weight savings.

• Premium Member
With these choices to choose from.....your missing the point imho.  My analogy is this....would you walk to work everyday with a clothespin on your nose and soda straw in your mouth?  Any internal combustion engine is nothing more than a air pump....the  more air and fuel you allow it to have it will make more hp, be more responsive and be happier.....that's why I will always spend the money on a pipe, air filter and some sort of fc or reflash on any bike I own....of course will sound better and there will be a weight savings.
The point of the poll was to determine people's primary motivation for a custom exhaust.  It sounds to me like yours is performance.

scordiaboy515
The point of the poll was to determine people's primary motivation for a custom exhaust.  It sounds to me like yours is performance.
  exactly my point.....so why is there no category for performance gain? 

I have a very quiet bike the 07 and a very noisy one the Morini I cant tell any difference it the way I am treated on the road between
I agree that bright colors can help you to be seen by traffic coming at you but what about from behind? No one always sees everything coming up beside them so common sense would dictate that something loud (aftermarket pipe) will get you noticed long before a bright jacket will in that situation so the hospital comment goes both ways .... if you like hospital food rely on hi-vis only when passing. I think it makes sense to have both which is why I do. Neither are a guarantee you will be seen or heard but why not try to better your chances, right? I hope you have something other than the quiet, stock pipe on your FZ.  

Beemer

• Premium Member
I have a very quiet bike the 07 and a very noisy one the Morini I cant tell any difference it the way I am treated on the road between
I agree that bright colors can help you to be seen by traffic coming at you but what about from behind? No one always sees everything coming up beside them so common sense would dictate that something loud (aftermarket pipe) will get you noticed long before a bright jacket will in that situation so the hospital comment goes both ways .... if you like hospital food rely on hi-vis only when passing. I think it makes sense to have both which is why I do. Neither are a guarantee you will be seen or heard but why not try to better your chances, right? I hope you have something other than the quiet, stock pipe on your FZ. It would be silly to expect anyone to hear you with that thing dog piling your exhaust note.
The best course of action is controlled by the rider: pay attention at all times, and always ride defensively.  Cover your brake in certain situations.  Don't ever ride in someone's blind spot.  Try not to ever pass on the right (unless you live in a country that rides on the left hand side of the road, I guess).  When passing, get on the throttle and pass quickly and with authority.  Situational awareness is more important than any loud noises or bright colors. 
Read this:  http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/stop-saying-loud-pipes-save-lives <- it describes where I am personally coming from regarding loud-noises.jpg.

I will probably end up with a custom pipe and ECU flash, just like I mentioned initially -- but because I think it looks cool, sounds cool, and is a bit lighter in weight.  Also because I earn a pretty good living and can afford to throw another grand at my bike to look cool and sound cool.  

But I personally don't believe it will necessarily help make me safer.  And according to the Hurt Report (referenced in the article I linked to), statistics back me up in that regard.

I also personally don't believe it will necessarily make me significantly faster (which for most people equates to "performance", unless you are a pedant, I guess) when I commute on busy Phoenix area streets.  If I were doing track days or club racing, for sure -- any weight reduction and slight increase in HP would result in potentially quicker lap times, all other things being equal.  But in my case (and I suspect many others), it's hard to justify a statistically slight performance increase when you consider the cost.

Again, statistics aside, this is all just my opinion -- and the reason I started this thread was because I was curious about other people's opinions and internal reasoning behind such a purchase.  Sometimes I read stuff on these forums and I just shake my head and chuckle, because it seems many people have no problem spending thousands on a new bike, another thousand or so on an exhaust, possibly other thousands on other farkles, and then scoff at spending just under $70USD on a light bulb that may actually significantly improve safety and visibility -- or they spend all this money on bike and accessories, only to spend as little as possible on gear which may keep them alive or at least mostly unblemished in the event of a crash.

• Premium Member

After market exhaust because:
1) Looks/Sounds good
2) It makes me feel "safer" (I agree, not a substitute for being alert and a good rider)
3) It's fun to tinker
4) Performance I guess?

Really for every reason but performance. Way I see it this isn't a race bike, there are better bikes for that. But it seems like a decent and fun bike for most other applications.

• Premium Member

LOL sorry couldn't resist, but I just came across this

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN8V7in4esE]

That's an interesting article but it has holes in it. I laughed a little at some of his rationalizing:
1. He said: "Your exhaust is pointed backwards and by the nature of you traveling forward, you're actually leaving the sound behind you as you move forward."

My rationalizing is it's a proven fact that sound travels at just under 800 mph. (faster than any bike) and it goes in all directions so just because a pipe may be pointing backwards on a bike it doesn't mean it can't be heard in front of a bike. It may not be quite as loud but it can be heard. As I recall, every time an emergency vehicle has ever gone past me I could always hear it's siren while they were moving away even tho it was pointed forward. Besides, mine and many others point to the side, right at a car when passing so his pipe rationalizing is bogus since he has the archaic belief that all pipes point backwards. Even though it may be true that newer cars are better at keeping the interior more quiet that is not true with all newer cars and I think most people know this. Not all cars are made like a Mercedes. He has to know that just isn't true so he is either ignorant or purposely not presenting all the facts just to make it appear that he is smarter than everyone that thinks "loud pipes don't save lives."
Here's a couple other things that are either not accurate or contradictory:

I'm quoting him, "Now, I'm not saying a loud motorcycle has never alerted anyone to your presence. (what?!! If they do then they save lives, just like how a hi-vis jacket alerts people to your presence) We've all had an experience where a driver has noticed us because of the sound of the bike. Obviously, anything that calls attention to your motorcycle helps today’s distracted drivers notice you’re there between their kids’ screams and bites from their burritos." How can that be if everyone is driving newer cars??? (contradiction!) Also, if that is so then how can he say that if your loud pipe is heard and stops a person from coming into your lane and knocking you over that loud pipes don't save lives. Then he says, "Wearing hi-viz gear, adding auxiliary lighting to your bike, and upgrading your horn are all great ways to make your presence known." and "That means the bigger danger is still ahead, not behind, but most of the racket from loud pipes is just pissing off the people behind you, while doing very little to warn those in front of you." The majority of accidents may be caused by people in front of you but you can't just ignore accidents that are caused otherwise or be ignorant of the facts. According to his own logic, if your pipe (that points backward) is so loud it only pisses off people behind you that means it is loud enough to get their attention when the exhaust is pointed at you. That would mean that a pipe pointing outward would get a persons attention that is to their side. The guy contradicts himself and doesn't think rationally in my opinion so to me his 'opinionated report' is full of holes and means diddly. He tries to sound real smart but he isn't.

Beemer

so1102

That's funny! I love jokes about guys overcompensating. On a more serious note, I noticed the bike was more than loud enough to get attention and save a life.

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...

Looks and sound mostly.
I do believe it is safer for my commuting too. My journey to work has a lot of traffic, I ride past people doing make up, texting and all sorts, I know they havent seen me coming but they do hear me and generally move over slightly to let me pass.
I have an Akra Ti with baffle out

The primary reason I bought the aftermarket pipe is because it's lighter and better cornering clearance. THAT IS the reason I bought it. All other good things are a bonus. Not listed on the poll so didn't contribute to it.
I run with the dB killer in it.

• Premium Member
The primary reason I bought the aftermarket pipe is because it's lighter and better cornering clearance. THAT IS the reason I bought it. All other good things are a bonus. Not listed on the poll so didn't contribute to it. I run with the dB killer in it.
I would chalk that up to "makes me faster" then :)

Not really worried about the extra acc. I like a bike to feel as "not there" as possible in terms of handling. Lighter always helps that.

• Premium Member

Going faster isn't always about acceleration ;) Smooth is fast, and better handling can make you quicker through turns.

I used to race tiny bikes, where fast is ALL about not slowing down, not acc.
My attached profile pic is a Yamaha YZFR 125 Commuterlite class bike ( motor is absolutely stock except EFI and ECU mods and exhaust). We get about 15.5HP rear wheel out of the yammies and the CBR125R's.  All the work goes into tyres, suspension and lightening what we can. You have to try and NOT slow at all in corners. Make a mistake cornering or overbraking and the rest of the field is gone. So making things weight as little as possible is second nature to me.

Next is a piece copied from this web site: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/motorcycle-accidents-common-causes-30330.html

"Cars Making Left-Hand Turns

The single most dangerous situation for motorcyclists occurs when cars are making left-hand turns. These collisions account for 42% of all accidents involving a motorcycle and car. Usually, the turning car strikes the motorcycle when the motorcycle is:

going straight through an intersection

PASSING A CAR or

TRY TO OVERTAKE THE CAR." - NOLO

If you've ever heard a loud vehicle either coming up behind you or passing you (with windows up), which I'm sure most people with good hearing have, then you should be of the belief that a loud pipe can save a life. If you've never heard a vehicle behind you or passing you from inside a car then you seriously should have your hearing checked. That's no joke.

Beemer

Well put Beemer. The experiencial translocation in this case is a powerful arguement. If you drive a car as well as a motorcycle, you WILL know the experience to becoming aware of the presence of a motorcycle ( or ANY other loud vehicle) solely for the sound suddenly becoming apparent when you had not seen that vehicle. Most people do not realize that their hearing is trying to protect them constantly even without a conscious listening.
You hearing isn't turned OFF when you aren't consciously listening. It is actively filtering out sounds you don't need to hear. But it is always on. If a sound that your filter picks up that it says " I need yo NOT filter this sound", the filtering system will kick the sound to a higher level so you take notice on some level.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I had a crappy day at work so I went and ordered my akra ti exhaust. I did it primarily because it looks the best. I had no clue how it sounded because YouTube videos are just crappy sound clips. I knew I could get a few extra hp out of it but I was happy with how fast it was. Now that I have more miles on the bike and riding a liter bike more i want it to be even faster. I also love the sound of ducati's. I have had 3 guys who ride ducs mistake my bikes (by sound) with a ducati. So I'm happy with my expensive impulse buy. Last time I had an impulse buy I bought a new fz07. Haha. Before that it was a new truck. I may have a problem.

" I have had 3 guys who ride ducs mistake my bikes (by sound) with a ducati." Thank the 90/270deg crank. Same firing order as a V twin.

Archived