The MT-07 Forum

Mechanic vs User Manual - How much oil?

sguerrero

To make a long story short, the mechanic in the Yamaha dealership has a different point of view of how much oil the FZ07 should have.

He says 3 Lt. will do the job. The user manual says 2.6 lt (w oil filter)

28e24aff179c3cc1d9cafecfd9d3f4aa.jpg

Another discrepancy when I was talking to him...he said "the oil reading must be done while the bike is on" ....and I said WTF! I always had the impression is should be while the bike is off and cool so all the oil can be at the bottom (gravity does her job).

He was so convinced that is making me write this post.

What do you think ?

2.6 vs 3L doesn't change how many bottles you need to buy, add oil until you have it where you want it- it's easier to add oil than to remove it. How does the manual tell you to check the oil? You cut that part off. You have to run the engine initially to fill up the filter and then turn off and let it settle a bit before checking the oil while the bike is level or on a swing arm stand. After that checking oil cold or hot won't make too much of a difference.

He said, "the oil reading must be done while the bike is on". Did you ask him if he felt faint or dizzy?
I don't see what the big deal is that he's trying to make. If a person checks their oil window and it reads really low and needs more then it needs more but a little less than what they say isn't going to hurt it, it doesn't have to be exact. I don't remember ever hearing about a car engine that got ruined over being a quart low. Nothing to worry about here.

Beemer

2.6 vs 3L doesn't change how many bottles you need to buy, add oil until you have it where you want it- it's easier to add oil than to remove it. How does the manual tell you to check the oil? You cut that part off. You have to run the engine initially to fill up the filter and then turn off and let it settle a bit before checking the oil while the bike is level or on a swing arm stand. After that checking oil cold or hot won't make too much of a difference.
Here it is:c7f03ce32f441b10f963ce62146947f5.jpg

This is why those half-wits won't touch my bike again. You were right on both counts, and the 'factory trained expert technician' was dead wrong from what you've said.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Considering how little oil is in this thing to begin with and that the oil is lubing the gearbox and clutch as well as the motor, running it at the low end of the scale won't hurt anything, but it will make the oil that's in there work harder. I try to fill to near the top mark on the window.

And yeah, the actual vol is only relevant at the store.

Archived