The MT-07 Forum

Exhaust advice

Burtacus

That " race burble" sound ppl hear when letting off the gas when one has not adjusted the ECU is just engine pumping air( like an engine brake) rather than fuel...it's yamahas way of " increasing mpg" ...that's why the front end dive is horrible on the fz07 when you let off the gas quick...I don't mind the burble either... rode all year till I found out an reflash was available for leovince...now it's just that much better. ..still has a tiny Lil burble tho...just not as much. .. the stock fart can did an excellent job of damping that burble noise...
The burbling sounds racy but constant loud popping on the other hand is way too annoying. Mine still pops between shifts at times at times and I hate it and have just about given up trying to get rid of it. I'm hoping my non ethanol gasoline burns better and helps with the popping. 

Beemer

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bmwpowere36m3
That " race burble" sound ppl hear when letting off the gas when one has not adjusted the ECU is just engine pumping air( like an engine brake) rather than fuel...it's yamahas way of " increasing mpg" ...that's why the front end dive is horrible on the fz07 when you let off the gas quick...I don't mind the burble either... rode all year till I found out an reflash was available for leovince...now it's just that much better. ..still has a tiny Lil burble tho...just not as much. .. the stock fart can did an excellent job of damping that burble noise...
The burbling sounds racy but constant loud popping on the other hand is way too annoying. Mine still pops between shifts at times at times and I hate it and have just about given up trying to get rid of it. I'm hoping my non ethanol gasoline burns better and helps with the popping.
If you haven't had the ECU flashed or a fuel controller installed yet... that'll partially alleviate some decel popping. However due to the nature of aftermarket exhausts for motorcycles (most) are straight thru perforated baffles.  They are louder than stock exhausts, due to the "open" design and thus some minor popping/burbling is to be expected from them (unfortunately). 

If you haven't had the ECU flashed or a fuel controller installed yet... that'll partially alleviate some decel popping. However due to the nature of aftermarket exhausts for motorcycles (most) are straight thru perforated baffles.  They are louder than stock exhausts, due to the "open" design and thus some minor popping/burbling is to be expected from them (unfortunately).
You're right, I have a Dobeck EJK and I still get a loud pop here and there. I can live with it but every time it happens I feel like everyone is looking at me like I'm Jed Clampett in his popping, old 21' jelopy.

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
I assumed the popping was bad for the engine, is this not the case? I know my duel carbed 2002 Honda Shadow will pop if I'm high RPM's and come off it. I likely won't mind popping so much if it won't hurt the engine, but I am fairly sold from the reviews I've read on a commander unit - I just can't believe that someone can tell a difference in 5hp. I don't care about gaining 5hp, the fz-07 is more than enough power imo, but if it's as swell as all the reviews say(over all for the bikes performance), curve balancing, changing the upper end to have more power, things like that, I'd be interested I think. 
So I'd be safe then to add the exhaust by itself and see what I think?
You will 100% notice a big difference between say 76 horsepower and 81 horsepower (unless you're never full throttle). Especially on a machine that weighs less than 700 pounds with a rider.  
You need to tune for mods otherwise your ECU will think your bike is running stock.

• 2 weeks later...
bmwpowere36m3

Installed the Akra Carbon about a week ago, no ECU reflash yet. Overall if runs fine, except for one big issue IMHO… off-throttle hesitation. Since owning the FZ-07, its stalled maybe a handful of times in the first year. Well, only a week into having the Akra on and its stalled 4-5 times already. That's a deal breaker for me, but I planned on reflashing the ECU anyway. Otherwise, while idling its less "stable", decel popping at expected and a slight reduction in engine braking (weird). But the off-throttle response sucks. YMMV

• Global Moderator
just take the exhaust off completely.  
KIDDING. Ever try it tho? It's pretty loud haha.

ITS OBSCENELY LOUD! 
In high school auto shop we were replacing a clutch on a jeep wrangler, so we had to take the transmission out, and to do that we had to remove the exhaust and headers, among 100 other things. Anyway, when we had put the transmission back on, but not the headers, our shop teacher told another student to start the jeep to test if the transmission was working properly, all without warning to any of us lol. When the jeep started it sounded like a bunch of sledgehammers slamming against solid steel. The echo of the shop didn't help either... After half the class being scared to death, and the engine cut off, we turn to see our shop teacher laughing like no tomorrow.

Good times!
If this was a 4.0 I6
i feel your pain.
we had one in the shop monday with a dieseling issue caused by a combination of things. at one point we removed the collector from the headers and fired it up to see if the lack of backpressure helped(it had a severely clogged catalytic)
there were customers in the showroom(80-100yds away) complaining about the noise

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

So I finally got that Yoshi exhaust today, installed in about an hour, pretty easy, missing a spring, it's on order. I just want to say thanks to all the advice and recommendations, this exhaust is truly like getting the cake and eating it too. It's deep and brutus like my cruiser, poppy with a twitch of the throttle, humble at 4-5k, smooth in 6th at speed, and gnarly between shifts (It literally helped my shift become smoother, something that bugged me on this bike), grizzly down shifting, and Ooopsy fun on a wheelie! Did I mention it sounds like Nascar at a distance? I kid you not! I really could not be more pleased. I know russian rider(?) has has a sound vid on youtube for this bike/exhaust, but I kinda think you need to hear mine. It's an action video. Unfortunately, they were done by my buddy with a samsung phone... apparently video stops when you get texts. He's so popular! So 3 shorties for your enjoyment! Oh, and there is more vibration now than stock exhaust. Almost lost my license plate going home. Pulled into ace hardware, problem solved. ;) I never would have thought those dealer plastic dealies would vibrate lose!

Should be able to see 3 videos here. Short and sweet. Going to sound good on a phone? Probably not. ;/

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8NSKb-z1hNkYWJhaWE2RHdGdG8&usp=sharing

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

• Global Moderator

Sounds great. I like that it is loud without being obnoxious. I might have to consider one...

• Premium Member

Just a shout out to Revzilla! I got that Yoshi from them, and it was missing a spring and a washer. Clearly I waited for neither part to arrive lol (Nor did I worry about those washers). But the parts showed up today, and basically Revzilla handled the whole thing from my phone call after 12pm est. on a Sat. through emails to now, and took care of it. It was a minor issue, but good service deserves kudos! I've bought a few things from them and I'll do so again. Thought I would share. :) [HASH]TeamYoshi bahaha

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

• 1 month later...

Archived