The MT-07 Forum

Exhaust advice

Burtacus

It was easier then I thought it would be. Make sure you start with a BRAND NEW hole saw and pilot bit. This is what I used: 
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools-accessories/power-tool-accessories/hole-saws-sets-accessories/1-real-mccoy-hole-saw/p-1444440525309-c-10085.htm?tid=-8433168216441943754

Run it right down the outlet. Take your time and within 5 minutes you will be thru the 1st chamber. Go for a ride. If still to quiet, repeat procedure and drill thru 2nd chamber. Go for a ride. If still to quiet, save for a different exhaust.

Any way you could post up a video?  I'd love to hear it.  It's too cold to ride now, so I might as well start drilling holes in sh*t!!   :)

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I commute 100 miles a day. Was doing it on an R1. Now with my fz07 with stock exhaust. I live in cali so splitting lanes is legal. And let me just say, the noise of the after market exhaust on the R1 for sure made people look twice and move over way more than the stock exhaust on the fz07. I have to even use my horn now (which I never did before). So yes, a louder bike draws a lot more attention. Results: people looking where you are so they don't smush you.

• Premium Member

caliesv - thanks for the testimony, that's worth a lot. Obviously there is no absolutely right and absolutely wrong way to look at these things, each experience is different, but when it comes to noise, for me anyway, logic says not only am I decibels louder over all, but I want the throttle to be my tool too, meaning I clutch in and rev (like a horn). So having that ability where as I don't now I thought would be worth something.

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

caliesv - thanks for the testimony, that's worth a lot. Obviously there is no absolutely right and absolutely wrong way to look at these things, each experience is different, but when it comes to noise, for me anyway, logic says not only am I decibels louder over all, but I want the throttle to be my tool too, meaning I clutch in and rev (like a horn). So having that ability where as I don't now I thought would be worth something.
I absolutely agree with the engine Rev! I hate fumbling for my horn... Sometimes I Honk it too late lol.

So you don't want to buy an exhaust. Some theories imply that making it louder won't make a difference to your safety anyway but do imply that if you paint it day-glo yellow your chances of getting noticed will increase. I don't necessarily agree with that but use your own judgement.
I'm also in the camp where I'm uncertain if a loud exhaust actually helps protect you.  I got my Akra Carbon mainly for the cosmetic look, and the fact that I just wanted the bike to sound a little meaner--I kept the baffle in, and even then it's probably a tiny bit louder than expected, but reasonable enough to probably not piss off neighbors.  So to the OP's point, if he just wants the bike to sound a little meaner, then drill away!  But I'm not sure the loudness would help you not get broadsided in an intersection or people merge into you on the highway, since most of the noise goes behind you...? 
As for colorful neon clothing, I think it helps but maybe not as much as people think.  I remember trying to look up statistics before buying gear a few years ago (I just found it again:  High Viz study ) and frankly I was not as impressed as I thought I would have been.  Cars around you are multitudes of colors, so even if you wear colorful clothing, do you really stand out behind the background?  I think colorful gear helps, but riding defensively certainly might help more.

I was making a joke of a point that was made on another site when I said that, I guess you didn't catch that, not your fault. I have an Akra CF pipe myself, a hi-vis rain jacket I wear when it's cooler, a hi-vis white helmet with hi-vis yel. on it, hi-vis gloves and depending on conditions and who's driving towards you, everything but the pipe helps you to be noticed. BUT, out of all those things the only thing that has made a person stop from bumping into me when they did a lane change was my loud pipe. I look right at them every time they do it. I make eye contact and they're looking straight ahead into oblivion and only when I rev my engine do they snap their heads to look at me all spooked and jerk the wheel back to avoid hitting me. I'll leave it at that. Everyone have a safe, fun day!  :)

Beemer

Need pix! :) 
007Sorry, I don't want to set up one of those accounts on another site and I don't want to pay for a membership just to post pictures.  Just rest assured it looks a lot like the other carbon exhausts out there. 

Also, something I didn't mention is the ease of changing the baffles.  It is literally just one hex bold that holds it in

• Premium Member

Need pix! :) 
007Sorry, I don't want to set up one of those accounts on another site and I don't want to pay for a membership just to post pictures.  Just rest assured it looks a lot like the other carbon exhausts out there. 

Also, something I didn't mention is the ease of changing the baffles.  It is literally just one hex bold that holds it in

You don't necessarily have to create an account to share photos on most picture sharing sites if you don't want to.  And if you don't wish to contribute financially to keeping this forum running, that's cool, I understand -- your prerogative.  As a third option you can use the Tapatalk app on your phone or tablet to post pictures as well -- if you wish.

I commute 100 miles a day. Was doing it on an R1. Now with my fz07 with stock exhaust. I live in cali so splitting lanes is legal. And let me just say, the noise of the after market exhaust on the R1 for sure made people look twice and move over way more than the stock exhaust on the fz07. I have to even use my horn now (which I never did before). So yes, a louder bike draws a lot more attention. Results: people looking where you are so they don't smush you.
I agree 100%. I'm a new rider, so the only experience I have is 2,000 miles. I rode like 1,000 stock and the rest with Akra Carbon. Reaction from other cars dramatically change for the good. The meaner it sounds the scariest for them ...they think something big is coming their way. No complains for neighbors...and better yet wife is happy when I arrive. (It helps the other guy to jump over the window way before I catch them cheating) hahahahaha....never though of that one did you?

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K36BUGO?dpID=51RIyIZH0uL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR160%2C160_&refRID=Z9FZZM9FQP14MFR4D445&ref_=pd_lutyp_wish_1_3

So looking at this as a cheap solution to this thread. Looking at the stock exhaust (I'm mechanical, but haven't done this particular type of replacement before) how does one replace or add this on? Seems like I have pipes that go to a converter with an o2 sensor in the pipes. but the photo in the slip on doesn't show all that. Appreciate any guidance here. Thanks!

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

• Premium Member
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K36BUGO?dpID=51RIyIZH0uL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR160%2C160_&refRID=Z9FZZM9FQP14MFR4D445&ref_=pd_lutyp_wish_1_3 
So looking at this as a cheap solution to this thread. Looking at the stock exhaust (I'm mechanical, but haven't done this particular type of replacement before) how does one replace or add this on? Seems like I have pipes that go to a converter with an o2 sensor in the pipes. but the photo in the slip on doesn't show all that. Appreciate any guidance here. Thanks!
Here's a tutorial on the FZ-09, but it should serve your purpose. BTW, I would highly recommend applying a bead of some high heat resistant silicone to the attachment point along with whatever clamp. Let it sit half a day or more to cure well and seal things up! Do it nice or do it twice...trust me I've learned the hard way over the years :-/

• Premium Member

Thanks! That's a great video!

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

So I'm getting nearer to pulling the trigger on the Yoshimura exhaust but I keep reading several times in the reviews a commander is needed. That costs as much as the exhaust..!

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/yoshimura-r77-race-exhaust-system-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016#reviews_tab

I love my torgue, I don't want to lose it, and I also don't want a lot of popping. :-/

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

So I'm getting nearer to pulling the trigger on the Yoshimura exhaust but I keep reading several times in the reviews a commander is needed. That costs as much as the exhaust..! 
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/yoshimura-r77-race-exhaust-system-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016#reviews_tab

I love my torgue, I don't want to lose it, and I also don't want a lot of popping. :-/
get an ejk. it's $250. or get an ecu flash for $200-$300 depending where you send it.

• Premium Member

What is an ecu flash? Does it have a carb, cause that's the kind of thing I know lol :P Send it where? (hey thanks for the quick reply!)

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

Brutacus,
There appears to be two Yoshi exhausts for the MT/FZ 07. An older one with a joiner pipe near the heads and a newer one with a step ( ID increase). If you can get the latter as it uses newer maths. You need to check that I am right though. I have gathered this from looking at picturesd of the yoshi full systems.
Other new sonics full systems appear to be leo Vince and Arrow. There may be others.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

What is an ecu flash? Does it have a carb, cause that's the kind of thing I know lol :P Send it where? (hey thanks for the quick reply!)

The ECU flash is just a tune that gets put on your ECU. I highly recommend it even if you don't buy an exhaust. It gets rid of the off idle stalling issue and lessens some of the engine braking as well as smoothing out your torque curve. It's like a whole new bike.

• Premium Member

What is 2wdw? So do I send the ECU off or buy a controller? I'm still a bit confused. Unfortunately I ignored most posts about this stuff as I never saw myself wanting to upgrade my exhaust.

I see all these parts, I don't know what to get, or do I need too even?

http://www.revzilla.com/dynojet#v2-facets%5B%5D=658&page=1&page_size=96&sort=featured&tab=all&implicit_facets%5B%5D=644

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

What is 2wdw? So do I send the ECU off or buy a controller? I'm still a bit confused. Unfortunately I ignored most posts about this stuff as I never saw myself wanting to upgrade my exhaust. 
I see all these parts, I don't know what to get, or do I need too even?

http://www.revzilla.com/dynojet#v2-facets%5B%5D=658&page=1&page_size=96&sort=featured&tab=all&implicit_facets%5B%5D=644
2 wheel dyno works is a supporting vendor here on the forums. you send your ecu to them for a flash and they send it back. go to the supporting vendor section and take a look at their threads.

or you can buy a fuel controller like the ejk from dobeck performance. then you install that yourself.

there is also the power commander V that you linked to. all are good options. it's just your personal opinion and what you feel comfortable with.

there is alot of info on both here in the forums. just do a search.

depending on the exhaust. it is highly recommended due to increasing airflow. your bike will be running lean.

603nytroxtx
I have a group buy going on now with 2wdw. $270 instead of $319. I just installed the yoshi exhaust and I promise that will want to reflash or get EJK. I have to get your payment before midnight if you want to get in on this but I suggest reading all the great reviews.  
Here is the LINK to my group buy thread!

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen
*X-Grip with Bruudt mount

• Premium Member

I was considering doing the EJK, or there's another one I found on revzilla for the same price. Is the ECU flash also needed?

Dynojet PCFC Fuel Controller Yamaha FZ-07 2015-2016

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

bigdaddybane

In had many full system exhausts and slip-ons in the past ... everything from cheap Leo Vince and Coffman's to Yoshimura and Two Brothers but I never tried Slovenian pipe (had no money for it). I changed nothing on my bikes, no ECU upgrade/flash or other electronic mods. My experience with Yoshimura is nothing but great but I did experienced popping only when silencer was removed. I just ordered Yoshi system and hopefully it will be on the bike this weekend ... again no plans to touch ECU. Call me crazy but I love the popcorn sound ... :D         

• Premium Member

I assumed the popping was bad for the engine, is this not the case? I know my duel carbed 2002 Honda Shadow will pop if I'm high RPM's and come off it. I likely won't mind popping so much if it won't hurt the engine, but I am fairly sold from the reviews I've read on a commander unit - I just can't believe that someone can tell a difference in 5hp. I don't care about gaining 5hp, the fz-07 is more than enough power imo, but if it's as swell as all the reviews say(over all for the bikes performance), curve balancing, changing the upper end to have more power, things like that, I'd be interested I think.

So I'd be safe then to add the exhaust by itself and see what I think?

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

bigdaddybane
I assumed the popping was bad for the engine, is this not the case? I know my duel carbed 2002 Honda Shadow will pop if I'm high RPM's and come off it. I likely won't mind popping so much if it won't hurt the engine, but I am fairly sold from the reviews I've read on a commander unit - I just can't believe that someone can tell a difference in 5hp. I don't care about gaining 5hp, the fz-07 is more than enough power imo, but if it's as swell as all the reviews say(over all for the bikes performance), curve balancing, changing the upper end to have more power, things like that, I'd be interested I think. 
So I'd be safe then to add the exhaust by itself and see what I think?
This is my take ... popping is not bad for the engine and it won't harm it. The pop comes from some extra gas that didn't get burned and ended up in the pipes. Due to the heat of the pipes it gets ignited. A lot of folks on Internet wrote that "popping" could damage the engine but no one trully has any proof of that. I had popping effect on 3 bikes I owned in the past (2 fuel injected and one with carbs) and all of them broke 30,000km mark without any issues. Now, if you think this sound might simply drive you nuts, then you have two options ... leave the exhaust silencer on or install Power Commander.

• Premium Member
norcal616

That " race burble" sound ppl hear when letting off the gas when one has not adjusted the ECU is just engine pumping air( like an engine brake) rather than fuel...it's yamahas way of " increasing mpg" ...that's why the front end dive is horrible on the fz07 when you let off the gas quick...I don't mind the burble either... rode all year till I found out an reflash was available for leovince...now it's just that much better. ..still has a tiny Lil burble tho...just not as much. .. the stock fart can did an excellent job of damping that burble noise...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived