The MT-07 Forum

Exhaust advice

Burtacus

• Premium Member

Hey all - I generally think my bike has more than enough power, so I'm not really looking to enhance it, or make it louder, but I would like to get it to be a little louder than stock, because it's helpful that other people talking on the phone rubber necking and not paying attention can hear me at least....

So I was curious what is a cheaper way of doing this, if there is a low cost mod or something. I don't really want to mess with the baffle, but it's not out of the question. Curious what others think on this.

---

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go buy a 1 inch hole saw & drill bit extension and drill thru a chamber on the OE system. If that's still not loud enough, drill thru another chamber. After the 2nd chamber you will be into the convertor and will take a bit more work.

• Global Moderator

If you are just concerned about people knowing you are there then buying a loud horn would be a lot cheaper than a new exhaust.

• Premium Member
If you are just concerned about people knowing you are there then buying a loud horn would be a lot cheaper than a new exhaust.
hah! Funny you mention that. Unfortunately they moved the horn as you know so it's harder to get to when you need too (and it's worse for me as I have small hands.).  :)

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

AlbatrossCafe

So I was curious what is a cheaper way of doing this, if there is a low cost mod or something.

Without knowing your budget, a "lower" cost exhaust mod would be to get a slip-on muffler rather than a full system. This will give you volume but will generally be about 1/2 the cost of a nicer full system.  
A popular one is the m4 exhaust such as this one: http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/m4-yamaha-fz-07-15-16-carbon-fiber-slip-on-exhaust/

I would check out that and other slip-ons and videos on youtube to see if you would be interested in that kind of look & sound.

Also, since it sounds like you don't want your bike to be too much louder, I know the m4 is one of the few exhausts has an available noise insert (makes it quieter) for an extra $56 - that would be something to consider if you don't initially like the volume.

• Premium Member
So I was curious what is a cheaper way of doing this, if there is a low cost mod or something.
Without knowing your budget, a "lower" cost exhaust mod would be to get a slip-on muffler rather than a full system. This will give you volume but will generally be about 1/2 the cost of a nicer full system.  
A popular one is the m4 exhaust such as this one: http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/m4-yamaha-fz-07-15-16-carbon-fiber-slip-on-exhaust/

I would check out that and other slip-ons and videos on youtube to see if you would be interested in that kind of look & sound.

The sad thing about the slip on is it's not as pretty as the stock one lol. But to find something sleek and fitting like the stock one really means spending some $$$. I'm stuck between the cost and looks of a slip on versus poking holes the frugal mans way.

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

• Premium Member

just take the exhaust off completely.

KIDDING. Ever try it tho? It's pretty loud haha.

I'd say @paulibiker's recommendation would be the cheapest if you have the tools.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Before I got my Akra Ti I drilled the stock muffler to keep me satisfied. I bought a 1" drill bit from Home Depot $18. I removed the stock muffler pipe "cover" and drilled just below the exhaust pipe coming out of the muffler. I ended up doing 2 below that pipe and 1 above the put the cover back on which covered the holes completely so it still looked completely stock. I would start with 1 hole and then go from there until you get your desired volume.

• Premium Member

You wouldn't happen to have taken photos of this would you? I modded my XR250 by removing the baffle, grinding the inner pipe welds and rejetting and it souns "unique" now :-) so my question is, how unique is it compared to a slip on? They usually sound better.

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

Burtacus, I'd bite the bullet and start saving for a "proper" aftermarket full system. You will NOT be disappointed and when it comes to selling the bike you'll have an intact OEM exhaust to put back on, not a shade-tree modified one. Just thinking out loud! :)

• Premium Member

I put a Delkevic system on mine for $375 and it definitely sounds meaner and weighs half of the OEM. I put up a sound comparison video a little bit ago for reference.

just take the exhaust off completely.  
KIDDING. Ever try it tho? It's pretty loud haha.

ITS OBSCENELY LOUD! 
In high school auto shop we were replacing a clutch on a jeep wrangler, so we had to take the transmission out, and to do that we had to remove the exhaust and headers, among 100 other things. Anyway, when we had put the transmission back on, but not the headers, our shop teacher told another student to start the jeep to test if the transmission was working properly, all without warning to any of us lol. When the jeep started it sounded like a bunch of sledgehammers slamming against solid steel. The echo of the shop didn't help either... After half the class being scared to death, and the engine cut off, we turn to see our shop teacher laughing like no tomorrow.

Good times!

I don't know how much you're wanting to spend, but I put a Terminogni on mine recently. Before you gasp at the thought of buying a termi, let me mention that I did like someone else on this forum and purchased mine from Omnia Racing out of Italy. With the exchange rate, I saved almost $400.00. They have an ebay store you can buy from, but if you get on their website and email them, they will respond back with a much better price, including shipping. It took 7 days total to get it from Italy.

An added bonus you may really like is that the termi comes with 2 baffles you can insert, so you have 3 total sound options including running it without an insert.

I don't know how much you're wanting to spend, but I put a Terminogni on mine recently. Before you gasp at the thought of buying a termi, let me mention that I did like someone else on this forum and purchased mine from Omnia Racing out of Italy. With the exchange rate, I saved almost $400.00. They have an ebay store you can buy from, but if you get on their website and email them, they will respond back with a much better price, including shipping. It took 7 days total to get it from Italy. 
An added bonus you may really like is that the termi comes with 2 baffles you can insert, so you have 3 total sound options including running it without an insert.
Do you mind sharing how much you actually paid in the end?

hah! Funny you mention that. Unfortunately they moved the horn as you know so it's harder to get to when you need too (and it's worse for me as I have small hands.).  :)

Not only that, the horn isn't very loud. The times I've had people come into my lane they didn't hear my horn and who wants to have to beep their horn constantly to warn people. the positioning of the horn button was a thumb idea. (heh! boo! :P  I'll let myself out)

Beemer

It was easier then I thought it would be. Make sure you start with a BRAND NEW hole saw and pilot bit. This is what I used:

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools-accessories/power-tool-accessories/hole-saws-sets-accessories/1-real-mccoy-hole-saw/p-1444440525309-c-10085.htm?tid=-8433168216441943754

Run it right down the outlet. Take your time and within 5 minutes you will be thru the 1st chamber. Go for a ride. If still to quiet, repeat procedure and drill thru 2nd chamber. Go for a ride. If still to quiet, save for a different exhaust.

Do you mind sharing how much you actually paid in the end?
I don't remember for sure, but it seems like it was between $600 and $700 (I bought it in the fall when the euro was way down).  Right now, the euro is slowly gaining strength against the dollar.  I looked on their website and if you were to buy one now, it looks like the conversion would be about $740.00 USD.  However, if you are interested, I would email the address listed on their website and see what price they shoot you back.  It may be worth your time.  Also, as you look for it on their website, you'll want to find the one for the "MT07"s as that is what the FZs are called in Europe.   

• Premium Member
@burtacus Check out this video. At 0:36, you can see him remove the cover and you can see where he drilled some holes near the outlet pipe. Very cheap mod that should get you some more volume. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr5l3nS8W7w
That's pretty sweet. Thanks for sharing! 

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

I thought about doing it that way, but I wanted one exit hole only for exhaust. Is it blowing exhaust into the cover?

• Premium Member

Thanks for all the great feedback! I think the wise choice is a slip on at this point.

Peace..

-----
I.AM.
-----

-Burtacus

Need pix! :) 

So you don't want to buy an exhaust. Some theories imply that making it louder won't make a difference to your safety anyway but do imply that if you paint it day-glo yellow your chances of getting noticed will increase. I don't necessarily agree with that but use your own judgement.

Beemer

pineappleunderthesea
So you don't want to buy an exhaust. Some theories imply that making it louder won't make a difference to your safety anyway but do imply that if you paint it day-glo yellow your chances of getting noticed will increase. I don't necessarily agree with that but use your own judgement.
I'm also in the camp where I'm uncertain if a loud exhaust actually helps protect you.  I got my Akra Carbon mainly for the cosmetic look, and the fact that I just wanted the bike to sound a little meaner--I kept the baffle in, and even then it's probably a tiny bit louder than expected, but reasonable enough to probably not piss off neighbors.  So to the OP's point, if he just wants the bike to sound a little meaner, then drill away!  But I'm not sure the loudness would help you not get broadsided in an intersection or people merge into you on the highway, since most of the noise goes behind you...? 
As for colorful neon clothing, I think it helps but maybe not as much as people think.  I remember trying to look up statistics before buying gear a few years ago (I just found it again:  High Viz study ) and frankly I was not as impressed as I thought I would have been.  Cars around you are multitudes of colors, so even if you wear colorful clothing, do you really stand out behind the background?  I think colorful gear helps, but riding defensively certainly might help more.

Archived